Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBP was 2016 now 2020

Options
  • 24-11-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭

Every single house in the country is being promised a high-speed broadband connection by around the end of the decade, under a scheme announced by the Government today.

The plan is expected to require the State to invest hundreds of millions of euro to connect more than 700,000 premises across the country, which are in areas that are unlikely to ever be served by commercial high-speed broadband operators.

The news is likely to receive a cautious welcome from country dwellers and those living in rural towns and villages.

They have struggled with poor internet connectivity for years.

Despite a slew of attempts, successive governments have failed in their efforts to adequately address problems with rural broadband, which are hampering the businesses and lifestyles of those living outside major urban areas.

As part of the plan, the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources has produced an interactive online map, showing what areas commercial broadband providers aim to deliver high-speed broadband to by the end of next year.

The map follows a year of consultation between the department and the operators, during which the telecom companies were asked to provide detailed information about their broadband rollout plans for the coming two years.

The maps will now be open to consultation until the end of February, after which a strategy will be drawn up mapping out exactly how the project will be delivered.

Among the questions that need to be answered are who will own the network after it is built, how will it be governed, what technology will be used to deliver the broadband, how much will it cost, how much will the State have to pay, how will it be financed and what impact might it have on the functioning of the market?

The plan will also have to apply for and receive approval from the European Union that it complies with State aid rules.

According to the Government, procurement will start around the end of 2015, with construction due to commence in late 2016 or 2017.

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Alex White said he anticipates that every house in the country will have high-speed broadband around the start of 2020.

However, Mr White said he is not prepared to put a figure on how much the State is likely to have to invest into the plan, as it might influence the actions of commercial operators, who it is anticipated will also be part-funding the project.

However, he predicted that the competitive edge between commercial operators right now could end up saving the Government money.

Mr White said discussions have already taken place at Cabinet about funding the plan, but a wide range of sources of finances could be utilised, including the European Investment Band and the Government's Strategic Investment Fund.

Earlier this year, the then Minister for Communications, Pat Rabbitte, said €355m to €512m would be spent by Government to fund the rollout of high-speed broadband to 1,000 towns and villages.

The minimum speed that each premises will be able to receive under the plan will be 30Mbps, but Mr White said the infrastructure will be future-proofed to enable the provision of improved speeds in the future.

He also said the cost of the service to the consumer would be affordable, and in line with the prices paid by city dwellers.

It is expected that 1.6m premises will be connected to high-speed broadband by the end of next year, with a further 700,000 still struggling with poor speeds.

100,000 of these are business premises, with the balance being homes.

The distance that will have to be covered by the State as it rolls out the broadband is equivalent to 100,000km of road network.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1124/662086-broadband/

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In fairness I don't think it was ever 2016, 2020 has always been the deadline as per the EU requirement.

Maybe you are mixing it up when it will start to rollout, which is likely 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭clohamon

bk wrote: »
    In fairness I don't think it was ever 2016, 2020 has always been the deadline as per the EU requirement.

Maybe you are mixing it up when it will start to rollout, which is likely 2016.
    A minimum of 30Mbps for every remaining home and business in the country, also during the lifetime of the Government.
    http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/takes/dail2012101700079?opendocument&highlight=Pat%20Rabbitte#Broadband%20Services

In fairness that's when they thought they could do 90% of the national territory for €175M with LTE, i.e. up to last April. TWTTIN.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

How do they plan to achieve this? FTTH surely? LTE is a total farce, I live close by to a village which will be Eircom eFibre enabled next year according to plan but the eFibre vDSL will only go into the exchange covering the whole village as it is not really big enough to warrant multiple cabinets. The only reason it is getting eFibre is that the new fibre-optic cable is passing through enroute to a bigger town.

I myself live 2kms from this exchange and get 13.5mbps / 1mbps up from the ADSL2 connection in the exchange so will gain very little if the VDSL is rolled out there by Eircom. However right outside my doorstep is the new fibre-optic cable which will be lit in early January. I recently laid a new duct into the house in the hope of eventually getting a spur of fibre into my home off this main cable. I had the driveway and footpath opened doing a different plumbing job and decided to future proof myself just incase.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stinicker wrote: »
    I myself live 2kms from this exchange and get 13.5mbps / 1mbps up from the ADSL2 connection in the exchange so will gain very little if the VDSL is rolled out there by Eircom. However right outside my doorstep is the new fibre-optic cable which will be lit in early January. I recently laid a new duct into the house in the hope of eventually getting a spur of fibre into my home off this main cable. I had the driveway and footpath opened doing a different plumbing job and decided to future proof myself just incase.

Have you checked the map here:
    http://broadband.gov.ie/

If you are in an amber area and it sounds like you might be, then you will be in an area that will be eventually covered by the NBP.

We will have to wait and see the details of the NBP next year, but from everything I've read so far it sounds like it will be FTTH. However of course the devil will be in the detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The full list of Tipperary villages to benefit under the plan is:

Aglish, Ahenny, Annacarty, Ballinahinch, Ballinard, Ballingarry, Ballingarry, Ballinure, Ballycahill, Ballycommon, Ballymackey, Ballyneill, Ballypatrick, Ballyporeen, Ballywire, Barraderry, Boherlahan, Bouladuff, Burncourt, Capparoe, Carrig, Carrigahorig, Carrigatogher, Castleleiny, Cloghjordan, Clonakenny, Cloneen, Clonoulty, Coalbrook, Commons, Coolbaun, Cullen, Curragunneen, Curreeny

Dolla, Dovea, Drom, Dromineer, Drumbane, Dually, Golden, Goold’s Cross, Grange, Horse & Jockey, Kilfeakle, Killea, Killoscully, Kilross, Knockabritta, Knockavilla, Lackamore, Lisheen, Lisronagh, Lisvarrinane, Lorrha, Loughmoe, Milestone, Moyglass, Moyne, Mullennaglogh, New Birmingham, Newchapel, Newtown, Ninemilehouse

Portroe, Puckaun, Rathkea, Rosegreen, Rossadrehid, Rossmore, Silvermines, Templederry, Templetouhy, Terryglass, Thomastown, Toem, Toomevara, Toor, Upperchurch.

I am in one of the above villages. We were told by 2016 (local elections were around the corner) now it wont be until 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Chris___ wrote: »
    I am in one of the above villages. We were told by 2016 (local elections were around the corner) now it wont be until 2020.

I'd be perfectly happy with 2020 to be honest if I thought it would be true FTTH and that the likes of the Wireless ISP's and Three with their "Mobile Broadband" snake oil would not get a say to object and hold up the programme. It is just five years and thinking back to January 2010 five years is not alot of time on what could end up being a huge roll-out. I'd happily pay around €1,000 just to get connected to the fibre-cable outside my door now if I could.

My biggest fear would be a change of Government coming down the pipe-line and wrecking the whole thing like what happened in Australia. If Fianna Fail ever again get into office you can be guaranteed it will be scuttled and the money diverted somewhere else. The problem with Ireland and broadband is that your average cronie stands nothing to gain from it and thus the previous administration didn't give two hoots and up until now this current Government were so broke that they couldn't really do anything. Getting Fibre Broadband now is every bit as much important as getting the Electricity into rural area's was back in the 1950's and 1960's. History will judge us badly if we don't implement this and do it right.

The ESB / Vodafone FTTH roll out is welcome also but what is needed is a joined up approach, a coming together and Eircom, UPC, Vodafone, ESB and the Mobile Network Operators and Wireless Operators should all be brought onto a board and be part of the solution. There should be an end to duplication and there should be a single state-owned monopoly network with full open access to the operators, the proposed broadcasting charge to replace the TV licence could be increased to €200 and implemented with €100 of that used for Broadband provision and maintenance.

Eircom's copper network should have been retained and should now be bought back or else used in some of equity swap for the NBBP. Running underground fibre to everyhome in the country is an almost impossible task and will costs billions, Eircom have the poles infrastructure and most of their new fibre cables between towns are strung along the poles utilising underground ducting where it is provided already. The ESB network could also be utilized. All I want is to see it be a success and use some joined up thinking for a change, everybody gains through this in the long run, except maybe Sky tv because with a national FTTH network is means everyone could get a IPTV Cable service also.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Eircom has already admitted that LTE would need about x7 as many masts just to be "broadband".
    Eircom has also now belatedly admitted that VDSL isn't a cost effective strategy [far less than 30% would see better than current ADSL2+ speeds], they are now committed to Fibre to Premises.

Anywhere that has mains Electricity can in theory have fibre. Even for rural it's cheaper than 1Mbps minimum 3G/HSPA/LTE Mobile. It's greener too, using a tiny fraction of the electricity. In Cabled areas (now 50% of properties according to UPC), they can't compete without Fibre to the Premises. (FTTP / FTTH).

Advertisement