Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people eat so much over christmas?

Options
  • 07-12-2014 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Am curious, I suppose.

I eat the same amount over christmas as I do every other time of the year...I just wonder, why do people over eat during the christmas period? Why is there such a rush (even now) to buy food?

More so, why do people go gung ho to loose weight for christmas? Is it about eating well/exercising etc all year?

Am just curious about the mind set.

(hope this post is appropriate here).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I would be one of those that would eat a little more over christmas, not massively more. In fact I have never in my 34 years put on weight over christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

I have no idea but I put on 10kg over the Christmas weeks last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Am curious, I suppose.

I eat the same amount over christmas as I do every other time of the year...I just wonder, why do people over eat during the christmas period? Why is there such a rush (even now) to buy food?

More so, why do people go gung ho to loose weight for christmas? Is it about eating well/exercising etc all year?

Am just curious about the mind set.

(hope this post is appropriate here).

Okay excluding last year for me as My Dad passed away last Christmas so the entire seasonal week is just a blur in terms of food intake and conversations. In-fact I ended up loosing weight lastyear as my appetite just went!
    Ordinarily though, I would say
    ~ convenience. All this extra foodie treats around the house
    ~ expectations of visitors. Extra food of all kinds would be brought into the house for any & all visitors at any hour.
    ~ more time off for people so more time to move & travel and visit others.

Most people I know don't set out to loose weight for Christmas; mainly maintaining weight, but would start January like most others with 'resolutions' etc about their weight/general appearance.

Hope that answers some of your questions,
    Interesting thread too btw,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Turkey-based gainz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Turkey-based gainz

Another American custom! The goose is my favourite although sometimes have duck. Ham also of course.

Overeating in a family group for a few days isn't goingto kill anyone.
    I'm current Irish champion at pigging out on xmas pudding; some lovely old dear brought it to a food stop on a charity cycle food stop a few years ago. I ate it all. She was horrified and proud in equal measure. Was tipsy enough after it!

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    Another American custom!

Along with overeating? [/stereotype]

• Registered Users Posts: 36,125 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That's how it's done.

To answer the OP: food is tasty so any excuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its the middle of winter innit ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Because its there.

People buy way too much food/drink at Xmas, and all the high calorie junk foods/drinks are pushed even more so by shops (3 or 2, but one get one free etc), then also pretty much all social activities revolve around food and drink

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Is it not just a target date for people on a diet, rather than specifically anything to do with Christmas?

I'll probably get slapped down by some on here as why dieting is wrong compared to "just simply" changing eating habits, but I'll be less focused on calorie counting around Christmas. If I want that extra roast spud and bit of sausage meat stuffing, I'll probably just have it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

If I ever end up caring about how much I eat over Christmas, it'll be a sad day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sitting at home all day & selection boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Demolishing a box of celebrations is my form of carb cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Out of their normal routine & access to food that might not normally be in the house, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I eat little over Christmas, amount is just enough to keep the hunger at bay. Reason for it is my OH mum's cooking - it's that bad, even thinking about makes me feel nauseous.Think: frozen brussels sprouts boiled for an hour puke-skype-smiley.gif I don't eat sweats and cakes, so unless I bring my own food it's gonna be skinny Xmas again...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Escapees

Other reasons:
    - People are usually off work and therefore less active so even eating the usual amounts leads to weight gain
    - Group dinners means an excess of food is usually cooked to avoid ending up with too little - seems to be an Irish family tradition that also comes into play of cleaning off your plate and not wasting anything!
    - Dysfunctional family environments and atmospheres can lead to stress and subsequent comfort eating, not to mention just keeping your gob full at times to avoid having to engage in conversation with family!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

reasons
    1 why not
    2 its once a year so no biggy
    3 Christmas food is delicious
    4 winter bulk

I've been on a sprout bulk for about 6 weeks now. Not much bulking but sprouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a holiday based around social gatherings, food and drink. People are off work (and less active) generally, and have little to busy with.

I find it a bit strange that this was even asked tbh. Whether you choose to indulge or not, it's fairly obvious why people might decide to.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Muireann wolfsbane the yank

Because we're stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I blame the wife....damn good cook......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Because they are fecking starving after slaving for the whole year... DOH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

That's disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I used to overeat a bit but with only a tiny weight gain. I don't do that know as I don't enjoy feeling stuffed and don't feel the need to make myself feel unpleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I went a bit overboard last christmas and put on 2 stone. But it only took me two weeks to get rid of the two stone. So enjoy the fruits, but do the long walks in a nice relaxing area each day for two weeks and the 2 stone will vanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

As regards diet and exercise, it's not what you do between Christmas and New Year that's important, it's what you do between New Year and Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Mellor wrote: »
    I find it a bit strange that this was even asked tbh. Whether you choose to indulge or not, it's fairly obvious why people might decide to.

I find it strange that you find it strange :)

I just think we (society) here are a little obsessed by food, especially around christmas. Piles and piles of food, all circled around 1 day a year (thats circled around presents). Am just wondering if its a symptom of something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

blinding wrote: »
    Its the middle of winter innit ! ! !
    +1, in a colder environment you will need more energy to keep warm. I do not cut back over winter as I believe it keeps illness away. I used to get tonsillitis around winter months and have not in years since I made a point of eating more or at least not watching what I eat. I am rarely sick over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Am just wondering if its a symptom of something else.

Like what? It's a feast. Humans have been having feasts for a variety of reasons for thousands of years as a means of celebration. Royal marriages, battle victories, births, weddings, deaths, solar eclipses, high crop yields etc.

It's nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I find it strange that you find it strange :)

I just think we (society) here are a little obsessed by food, especially around christmas. Piles and piles of food, all circled around 1 day a year (thats circled around presents). Am just wondering if its a symptom of something else.

The something else is because we are human.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

because new year we diet

Advertisement