Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6 months waiting period.

Options
  • 02-01-2009 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi-

I gotmy provisional in October andhave just got a job that requires a full licence-

I know that you can get a letter from an employer to get ur test quicker-

is this still possible even if you havn't had ur provisional for 6 months?

Im in a huge dilemma!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Nope, you have to wait 6 months from the date on your Learners Permit. No way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This information is covered in the sticky. I don't see why you would need a letter from your employer as you have had six months to apply before doing the test and the waiting times are only a few weeks.
    • A person who is a first time holder of a learner permit, for a motorcycle, works vehicle or car (licence categories M, A1, A, W, B and EB) cannot take a driving test for a six month period after the commencement date of the permit.

Q. When is this change coming into effect?

A. This change will apply to first time learner permit holders for motorcycles, works vehicles and cars after 30 October 2007. Any newly licenced person holding a learner permit must wait six months before taking a driving test.

Q: My first provisional licence is about to expire and I will be renewing it after the implementation date for the new rule; will the learner permit I receive be considered a first time learner permit holder?

A: No, as you already held a provisional licence you are not considered to be a first time learner permit holder and the six month rule will not apply to you.

Q: Does the change apply to all licence categories?

A: No, It applies only to motorcycles, works vehicles and cars.

Q: Why is the six month limitation being applied?

A: The purpose of the provisional licence/learner permit is to allow a learner driver to gain experience of driving. Research shows that the longer a learner is supervised while driving, the less likely s/he is to be involved in an accident. For this reason the six months limitation is being applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mefain

Hi-

I gotmy provisional in October andhave just got a job that requires a full licence-

I know that you can get a letter from an employer to get ur test quicker-

is this still possible even if you havn't had ur provisional for 6 months?

Im in a huge dilemma!

You can apply for your driving test within six months of holding your first drivers permit and it could indeed happen that you will receive a test date which falls within the first six months of your licence however, BE AWARE, if the test date is within the first six months of your licence and you go to the test centre, the tester will not conduct the test. Perhaps you could apply for a test date in April and show this to your intended employer. If you explained that you have your test date and are using this interim time to prepare and practice good driving skills for your test, your positive attitude, forward planning and proactive behaviour may be enough to persuade them to wait for you - you've nothing to lose in trying, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Probably shouldn't have gotten a job that requires a full license before you knew all the details.

Probably shouldn't have gotten a job that requires a full license before you knew all the details.
    I was thinking that also. If having a Driving Licence in a particular category was a prerequisite for getting the position, then how did you get it???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I was thinking that also. If having a Driving Licence in a particular category was a prerequisite for getting the position, then how did you get it???

One might suggest that a porky was told at some stage.

jhegarty wrote: »
    One might suggest that a porky was told at some stage.
    Oh, what a wicked web we weave..........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 WxfrdJay

Hi,

I just got my Learner's Permit, (Provisional License), and I have to wait 6 months now before I can apply for my test. I can't afford to wait this long, and will go to any extent to find a way around it. Any suggestions?

I know how to drive well, I have been driving for 10 years, just I was too feckin' lazy to ever sort out my licence. I have passed a mock test with a driving instructor so there'd be no problem from that perspective. I just need to find a loop hole.

Anything suggested would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1 to the above:eek:
    And just to let you know, you can apply for your test whenever you like, however you can only sit the test after 6 months. That is to say, on the day you've had your license 6 months you can sit a test.

WxfrdJay wrote: »
    I have been driving for 10 years
    If you have been driving for 10 years, you shouldn't be on your first Learner Permit.

If you couldn't be bothered over the past 10 years, why the hurry now?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

As the others have said there is no 'loophole'.

However, if you've been driving for 10 years you must have had some provisional licence before and the 6 months only applies to your first Learner Permit. So unless you've let your previous licence lapse for 5 years you should now be on your 3rd, 4th or 5th 'licence' in which case the 6 months doesnt apply. If you have left the previous ones lapse by 5 years then you are back at stage one and its a 1st Learner Permit and the 6 month rule applies!

I shouln't have said anything about driving for 10 years. Let's just assume, I have never had a provisional license or learner's permit, I know how to drive, and am confident that I would have no difficulty passing the test after having a couple of more lessons.

The reason why I need one now is because I have changed careers and it is a requirement for a role I am pursuing. And for those who don't/don't want to believe that someone could drive in Ireland without a license for 10 years, don't have to believe it.

Now, with all those questions answered, any more advice would be appreciated, though from the sounds of things I'm gonna have to wait 6 fr the pink :(

Well I dont know what your story really is but yes have to wait 6 months now before doing the test - you can apply in advance.

Wishbone Ash, thanks but that didn't really help, read my original query again plz, it asks a question.

Btw, can I ask, how have you almost 11 thousand posts in 2 and a half years?!! That's....(get's out calculator...) like over 350 posts a month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Your question was answered, the wait is 6 months, no exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

And for those who don't/don't want to believe that someone could drive in Ireland without a license for 10 years, don't have to believe it.
    :eek:

You can't legally drive a car on irish roads without a license.....hopefully you didn't drive on roads!!? What about insurance?

If you did you should never be allowed to get a license!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

You have to wait 6 months just like everyone else. No exceptions, and thank god for that.

I can't imagine why you'd think that someone who's been driving illegally for 10 years would get preferential treatment over anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I know how to drive well, I have been driving for 10 years, just I was too feckin' lazy to ever sort out my licence. I have passed a mock test with a driving instructor
    WxfrdJay wrote:
    The reason why I need one now is because I have changed careers

Op. did you even for a second consider that if you had had an accident while doing that mock test, your instructors career was probably down the toilet ?.

Come to think of it, would'nt it be normal practice for the instructor to ask to see a permit/prov licence before the first lesson, or mock test ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Downey Penguin

Urmmm.... I sort of in the same boat here.

I first took my test in the UK 10 years ago and only failed by a very narrow margin. Still a fail mind. So I feel I can drive competently. However - haven't driven for 10 years!

I hope to move back to the UK in September to start a Masters ie. Deadline for moving is non-negotiable. So thought finally getting this test sorted was a good idea to drive myself and my stuff back.

So I signed up to take the Theory test - the very earliest test I could get is the 3rd March. Which I booked and paid for and have received the learner permit form in advance.

I understand there is nothing I can do about speeding up the 6 months thing... But, seeing as I'm working with REALLY tight deadlines (Must be in UK 15th Sept - leaving 12 days from the end of the 6 months from the date of the theory test). Basically can you take the test from the date of your theory??? Or do you have to wait for receipt of the actual Learner Permit??? If so, is there anyway of speeding it up??? And how long does it actually take to receive??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

6 months from the date your learner permit is issued as far as I know. No way around it.

Damn... Any idea how long it'll take to arrive?

And - If there really is no way around this... Can I get a refund on the theory test you think? When I paid up I wasn't aware of the 6 month waiting - or that i'd take so long to get the theory test too?? I did ring the theory test people, they said check their website everyday for a cancellation to get one quicker - which I have been doing..

The arrival date isn't relevant as it may arrive several weeks after the issue date.
    And - If there really is no way around this... Can I get a refund on the theory test you think? When I paid up I wasn't aware of the 6 month waiting
    I very much doubt it. It's not their fault that you are unfamiliar with the requirements.

And - If there really is no way around this... Can I get a refund on the theory test you think? When I paid up I wasn't aware of the 6 month waiting - or that i'd take so long to get the theory test too?? I did ring the theory test people, they said check their website everyday for a cancellation to get one quicker - which I have been doing..

You could try a few different test centers and see if there is an earlier time than Mar 3rd somewhere else, you can do the theory test in any test center. I believe you can reschedule online via their website.

UPDATE : I just did a quick check and there are several slots available in Cork for example, earliest one on Jan 31st at 9:45am

Duiske wrote: »
    Op. did you even for a second consider that if you had had an accident while doing that mock test, your instructors career was probably down the toilet ?.

Come to think of it, would'nt it be normal practice for the instructor to ask to see a permit/prov licence before the first lesson, or mock test ?

I did the mock tests over the past few weeks when I've had my Learner's Permit.

Jesus I didn't come on here for a lecture on morality...

Thanks to those who helped. Lookin' like Ima have to wait the 6

DriveSkill - Wow - thats soon in Cork! Unfortunately I couldn't be further away - up here in Dundalk!! I did try changing to the Drogheda test centre - but theres was the 15th March!!

donegalfella - That does sound promising... Excuse my ignorance but, what is the licensing authority - would that be a central government point (in the UK you'd go to the DVLA)?? If so, where is that office based?? Or your local authority?? I've read the form, and can get all the requirements lined up - what did you mean by "&c" ??

The wait list for the practical test is only 8 weeks at the Dundalk Test Centre, so I think I could arrange the test for the week beginning 7th September if I contacted them as soon as I recieve the learner permit.. You can book your practical in advance can you?

Thanks ever so much with your help with this. It is greatly appreciated!!

• Advertisement

Advertisement