Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UL first years 2014-2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

iLaura wrote: »
    I know a good few of them League of Legends, and then along with consoles you can find some of them playing Magic the Gathering and other card games like that. Every Wednesday they usually have a console day that runs from 12 and you can go in and play whatever.

Yup, fellow magician :P Totes the first female Great One :P

That sounds like great craic :D have you read all the books? I only read magician this summer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ibuckfuffalos

I'm about to begin Business Studies but I literally know nothing about Limerick so i'm really unsure about off campus accomadation. I've seen one place called Parkview does anybody know what it's like and its distance from UL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I'm about to begin Business Studies but I literally know nothing about Limerick so i'm really unsure about off campus accomadation. I've seen one place called Parkview does anybody know what it's like and its distance from UL :)

Parkview hall is about a 30 min walk to UL. have a look at Brookfield Hall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Brookfield emailed me Monday morning saying they still have places available, so I booked and paid the deposit immediately. I still didn't get any confirmation though, should I ring to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Brookfield emailed me Monday morning saying they still have places available, so I booked and paid the deposit immediately. I still didn't get any confirmation though, should I ring to check?

Might be worth dropping them an email

• Advertisement

Aragneer wrote: »
    For you guys who like movies, tv shows and comic books - Marvel or DC, etc,etc etc, Fan forum is a good society or that. Bit of an eccentric bunch but if you feel like you can handle us then you should join :)

If that wasn't propaganda, I don't know what is :P

When I was a first year (makes me sound like a grandma), I joined 4 clubs/socs and ended up going to 1 meeting that whole year hahaha got too busy with friends!

Fan forum sounds great, think I'll give it a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Fan forum sounds great, think I'll give it a try!

They do cheap cinema trips for big movies, such as the hobbit and all sorts :) Hope you enjoy it if you give it a go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

They do cheap cinema trips for big movies, such as the hobbit and all sorts :) Hope you enjoy it if you give it a go! :)

Question... how fantasy based is the fan forum? Half considering joining it this year

sup_dude wrote: »
    Question... how fantasy based is the fan forum? Half considering joining it this year

The subject changes each week but usually what happens is we all sit around a table and divide into groups of what we want to talk about. Here is a list of most discussed stuff:

Star Trek/Star Wars/Firefly
    Game of Thrones/Lord of The Rings/Hobbit
    Hunger Games/ Young Adult Fantasy
    Marvel Movies
    DC Comics
    The Walking Dead/ Teen Wolf/ Hannibal
    Doctor Who/ Sherlock

It's mostly the big movies of the year and the series' that have large fan bases.I only joined it for the Game of Thrones, Hobbit and Hunger Games stuff :P

You can join their group on facebook though and get alerts of what week they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

The subject changes each week but usually what happens is we all sit around a table and divide into groups of what we want to talk about. Here is a list of most discussed stuff:

Star Trek/Star Wars/Firefly
    Game of Thrones/Lord of The Rings/Hobbit
    Hunger Games/ Young Adult Fantasy
    Marvel Movies
    DC Comics
    The Walking Dead/ Teen Wolf/ Hannibal
    Doctor Who/ Sherlock

It's mostly the big movies of the year and the series' that have large fan bases.I only joined it for the Game of Thrones, Hobbit and Hunger Games stuff :P

You can join their group on facebook though and get alerts of what week they are doing.

Well I'm definitely going to do that since I love GoT :D

• Advertisement

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Well I'm definitely going to do that since I love GoT :D

Me too!!!

A couple of us boardsies should meet up before a fan forum meeting one day. That way we get to check out the society and actually put faces to names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CheyK

Another business student!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 philiporan

Im a first year going to UL to do business and german. ive already applied for on campus accommodation yesterday so should I try and book off campus accommodation so I have a back up plan? thanks for any tips !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Just finished first year in LM118, any questions then fire away!

I got a phone call from DARE Office in UL today and I missed it and plus I wasn't going to answer it as I can't hear what was going to be said but anyway I got my mam to call them and the chap at the end of the line wasn't very informative but he said I have an induction day on Monday so I have to go down on Sunday evening and warned me that my accommodation may or may not be available on Sunday night...

So I start on Monday for DARE Induction (presuming it is for DARE) and I guess it would be the same for HEAR as well.

And to add in, I had a look at my timetable for Aeronautical Engineering. It's quite shocking I think. 3 9am starts. Finish between 4-6pm everyday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

And to add in, I had a look at my timetable for Aeronautical Engineering. It's quite shocking I think. 3 9am starts. Finish between 4-6pm everyday :(

Are 1st year timetables out? :D

Are 1st year timetables out? :D

Yeah, find it here

Just go into course, enter course code you are doing and the year which is 1. This for the entire course. You will get a personalised timetable in Week 3 after you've selected your modules (and electives I think).

Did anyone get an email from UL when you accepted your offer? I got a text but no email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Did anyone get an email from UL when you accepted your offer? I got a text but no email.

I got an email on Monday with my student ID, dates of orientation, and the date the course commences. Got the text also.

I have no idea how to read that timetable..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Welcome to engineering :) It's not a cakewalk. Any thoughts of getting a degree just for showing up should be left at the door now. You will average 20-30 hours of classtime per week for the whole degree plus whatever additional time is needed on your assignments. But if you like it, it's fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Anyone else having issues enrolling? My sister just tried to do it there and she keeps getting an error message.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Chimaera wrote: »
    Welcome to engineering :) It's not a cakewalk. Any thoughts of getting a degree just for showing up should be left at the door now. You will average 20-30 hours of classtime per week for the whole degree plus whatever additional time is needed on your assignments. But if you like it, it's fun :)

And can be quite frustrating when things don't work out :D
    But if you put in the work, you will be fine

Chimaera wrote: »

I've no problem with the long hours but it's the finishing times on Friday that annoys me as I'd like to go home to Louth which is a long way from Limerick. If I finished at 6, I wouldn't get home till 12am :(

I didn't get an email but I got the orientation envelope today. Can we enrol today?

I've no problem with the long hours but it's the finishing times on Friday that annoys me as I'd like to go home to Louth which is a long way from Limerick. If I finished at 6, I wouldn't get home till 12am :(

Is it lectures or tutorials? Tutorials might be changed and depending on the lecture, it might be easy enough to catch up on if you need to skip it every so often

sup_dude wrote: »
    Is it lectures or tutorials? Tutorials might be changed and depending on the lecture, it might be easy enough to catch up on if you need to skip it every so often

There's tutorial and a lab, two different groups though. 16:00 to 18:00

There's tutorial and a lab, two different groups though. 16:00 to 18:00

Send the lecturers an email to ask if there's any other time you can attend. Usually with labs/tutorials for a bigger class, there are several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AMcGowan

I got a phone call from DARE Office in UL today and I missed it and plus I wasn't going to answer it as I can't hear what was going to be said but anyway I got my mam to call them and the chap at the end of the line wasn't very informative but he said I have an induction day on Monday so I have to go down on Sunday evening and warned me that my accommodation may or may not be available on Sunday night...

So I start on Monday for DARE Induction (presuming it is for DARE) and I guess it would be the same for HEAR as well.

On the rental fees page on the website it says that the accommodation is from August 31st to May 21st so you should be safe.

• Advertisement

AMcGowan wrote: »
    On the rental fees page on the website it says that the accommodation is from August 31st to May 21st so you should be safe.

Yeah, I know it says that but apparently a number of houses aren't fully available on 31st of August for some reason..?

I got my Orientation stuff in the post today and I was wondering if anyone has enrolled online yet? I have set up my account for the si.ul.ie and logged in but all I'm getting is "You are not currently configured to receive any portal content.
    (no MRG records)". Is anyone else the same?

Advertisement