Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

oldest new car on sale

• 07-10-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was stuck behind a 10 reg octavia tour today and it struck me that that shape has been sold for 14 years now. This must be the oldest new car on sale in Ireland?

Of course you have the land rover defender still soldiering on.
    The Toyota hiace is largely unchanged since 1995 and the new vw beetle is on sale for 12 years now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Surely that's not right, the Octavia has been sold since 94 ? I would have said 98/99 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sorry mistyped that. Out since 96 but we didn't get them till 98 or so.

Mildly impressive when you imagine what a 10 reg 97 model corolla would look like

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Surely that's not right, the Octavia has been sold since 94 ? I would have said 98/99 ?

The Octavia was only on sale in Ireland since 1998, it was on sale in Eastern Europe well before that. 1996 I think was the year it was launched.

The recently retired MkI Saab 9-5 has been on sale since 1997 and even that was based on the 1989 Opel Vectra. Another one I could think of is the Merc G-Wagon, mostly unchanged since 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sorry mistyped that. Out since 96 but we didn't get them till 98 or so.

Mildly impressive when you imagine what a 10 reg 97 model corolla would look like

Now I detest the toyota corolla however I feel a 10 reg, 97 model corolla would look marginally better than the mark 1 Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Mark 1 golf - iirc there are one or two floating around. May be 08/09 tho.

• Advertisement

Mk1 golf would be citi golf from south Africa which wouldn't really count. There are oamy old cars still in production for other markets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

mickdw wrote: »
    Now I detest the toyota corolla however I feel a 10 reg, 97 model corolla would look marginally better than the mark 1 Octavia.
    The old corollas all look much better than the newer models imo. The same for the avensis.

• The Landrover Defender must be one of the oldest if not the oldest.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Winner the defender

When did the G wagon come out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bazz26 wrote: »
    The recently retired MkI Saab 9-5 has been on sale since 1997 and even that was based on the 1989 Opel Vectra. Another one I could think of is the Merc G-Wagon, mostly unchanged since 1979.

I'd say it would be inaccurate to say that the original 9-5 was based wholly on the Vectra A. The car was launched two years after that car's successor, so I'm sure there were a lot of modifications made to the platform in that time.

The same argument could be made for the Volvo S80 (launched in 1998). The platform of that car was adopted by Ford and still lives on in many American models today such as the 2010 Taurus, albeit highly modified.
    jaffa20 wrote: »
    The old corollas all look much better than the newer models imo. The same for the avensis.

You really reckon the horrible bug-eye shape would look better than an Octavia Mk1 today:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

The Octavia was only on sale in Ireland since 1998, it was on sale in Eastern Europe well before that. 1996 I think was the year it was launched.

Was the Octi ever based on the A4 chassis?

I always thought it was a Skoda version of the Bora but if it is as old as that then it must have been based on the A3 at first?
    EDIT: Though on a trivial google it seems the Mark 4 Golf did come out in 97ish. Not too much of a difference and Im sure it would have had better parts like I believe there are drum brakes on the rear of the Skoda and discs on the VW.

Mark 4 Golf is still going in Canada but that has new lights. Mark 1 or 2 is still going in South Africa which I think is the same deal as the Skoda Octi Mark 1 being rebranded as the Octi Tour.

If I needed a wagon for work that I could count on and needed cheap the Octi Tour would be a good consideration. Still based on the 1.9 PD platform so if you take care of the engine from new then you wont have that much of the crap you can get with used ones. I was always a fan of that shape Octavia. Not so much a fan of any after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

VolvoMan wrote: »

You really reckon the horrible bug-eye shape would look better than an Octavia Mk1 today:confused:

Sorry, i meant the older corolla and avensis looks better than the curent corolla or avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

The MK1 Golf Citi stopped production a while back The Octivia is been sold on a different platrom since 04 its based on the same cars (VAG Golf etc). Some one meioned the G wagon. The oldest New car you can buy in Ireland AFAIK is the New beetle hasnt been changed in 12 years or so The G wagon is still been produced but I dont think yo can buy it over here open to correction tho. The 70 series landcriuser is also still been produced

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

VW Polo? few chassis changes but its pretty much the same shape since the Mk3 (1994)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

tata pickup - looks like an 80's hilux
    volvo v50 - probably still using the same chassis as the 850 and further back

Tata not on sale here, v50 is based on ford focus.

The polo has had 2 entire model changes since the 90s.

Don't folks understand the topic ? Reading some of the replies here must be how teachers of really thick kids feel correcting their homework :pac:

Oldest new car currently on sale ? So far winnner is whoever suggested the Beetle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

RoverJames wrote: »
    Don't folks understand the topic ? Reading some of the replies here must be how teachers of really thick kids feel correcting their homework :pac:

Oldest new car currently on sale ? So far winnner is whoever suggested the Beetle.

Are you discounting the Hi-Ace because it's a van, or because it's had a minor facelift, and got nice velour inserts on the doors now?

R.O.R wrote: »
    Are you discounting the Hi-Ace because it's a van, or because it's had a minor facelift, and got nice velour inserts on the doors now?

Forgot about the Hiace you suggested :o
    Apologies :)

Edit, the OP suggested the Hiace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Morgan 4/4 has been around since 1936, but I don't know if they have an official dealership here.

2439684913.jpg?x=250&y=167&q=80&sig=UhYr_yxTWjO7fpwzPPLM1Q--

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lotus 7? Around since the 50s and still available today in the likes of the Caterhams...

caterham_seven_28_06_06.jpg

I don't think anything modern in the same price range can out-maneuver it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Isn't the current 2010 Audi A3 essentially the same car from 2003? Apart from a front grille facelift? I know there was talk of a new Mark but I haven't seen nor heard of it in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Would the Porsche 911 fall into this category? first introduced in 1963 i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Sorry, i meant the older corolla and avensis looks better than the curent corolla or avensis.

Have to agree, the 94-97 era Corolla looked a lot better than the one that followed it. The Carina E and mkI Avensis were nicer than what followed as well.

Ditto the Honda Civic and Mitsubishi Colt from that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The Focus is out since '98 and pretty much unchanged bar the '04 facelift. Still looks pretty fresh today:
    FORD0214.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Fail for the Focus, it's a different model from '04 on.
    The original Beetle, can that still be bought new? I didn't think so.
    However, I have seen as new as 01 in the Mini. There's a chance that those can still be bought brand new.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Fail for the Focus, it's a different model from '04 on.

Technically the '04 is a MkII but realistically it was just a facelift. In fact I didn't even know it was considered a different mark until just now.

The 2004 onwards Focus has a totally different chassis to the original 1998 to 2004 model. Some engines were carried over but that is about it.

The 2004 onwards Focus has a totally different chassis to the original 1998 to 2004 model. Some engines were carried over but that is about it.

Point taken but both models still look very, very similar.

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Point taken but both models still look very, very similar.

Ok but to be honest in that case the Golf hasn't changed much then since the MkI either. They all look similar though each generation bar the MkVI has a different chassis which imo defines a new and different model.

Advertisement