Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    It's very easy to sneer. If you had heard that part of the TX
    A professional term or abbreviation in the midst of an ordinary post? That's a bit odd Yvonne. :) Perhaps you know more about the radio business than you let on.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

jmcc wrote: »
    A professional term or abbreviation in the midst of an ordinary post? That's a bit odd Yvonne. :) Perhaps you know more about the radio business than you let on.

Regards...jmcc

That mask is not so much slipping, but sliding off his "big red embarrassed head" (if you don't mind me quoting you Marty-Hugo-Yvonne) by now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

pwurple wrote: »
    Ugh, bloody philistines everywhere.

Actually limnam, no they don't... signs up, rules forbidding it, security, blah blah blah.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't take heed of those signs or rules.
    Much like a traffic light doesn't stop most cyclist breaking red lights. blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

:(
    limnam wrote: »
    Much like a traffic light doesn't stop most cyclist breaking red lights. blah blah blah.
    Actually the signs say no Flash photography so she was being heavy with a foreigner who was in the Louvre incognito and making no fuss. I thought it was a bit hard, a bit harsh. You don't get that in Florence or Firenze as they call it where you can take pictures of David by Michaelanglo til the cows come home.

so she was being heavy with a foreigner who was in the Louvre incognito
    Incognito? They've heard of Marty over there? Well I suppose the Eurovision is a big thing in France. After all they love Jerry Lewis too so who knows - a slot on the French LyricFM may await? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

limnam wrote: »

It's unfortunate alright. Don't get me started on cyclists and red lights. :D

That segment about the photo anyway was just a terrible bit of radio. It ended with a 3 or 4 second clip of the middle of some classical piece, and then flicked back to marty, saying he needed calming down, and then started into something totally different. The whole thing was just totally amaturish. Sounded like they were just mashing the buttons in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

:(
    Actually the signs say no Flash photography so she was being heavy with a foreigner who was in the Louvre incognito and making no fuss. I thought it was a bit hard, a bit harsh. You don't get that in Florence or Firenze as they call it where you can take pictures of David by Michaelanglo til the cows come home.

Isn't Michaelangelo's David a statue? Not quite the same sensitivity to twits with cameras.

That segment about the photo anyway was just a terrible bit of radio. It ended with a 3 or 4 second clip of the middle of some classical piece, and then flicked back to marty, saying he needed calming down,
    Perhaps he was reading this thread or the cat had started writing to him again? :)

Regards...jmcc

It's unfortunate alright. Don't get me started on cyclists and red lights. :D

That segment about the photo anyway was just a terrible bit of radio. It ended with a 3 or 4 second clip of the middle of some classical piece, and then flicked back to marty, saying he needed calming down, and then started into something totally different. The whole thing was just totally amaturish. Sounded like they were just mashing the buttons in there.

I thought it was a lovely light piece of radio giving people something for their "water cooler" moment later in the day where they could have the doctor's missing finger from the David statue to talk about and have the sour puss one from Paris who gave Mart a telling off unfairly! :) And it brings Mart down to the level of the listener instead of just being a big radio personality above underground in Radio Centre. ;)

And anything can go wrong in a studio console when you're doing the fades like even a cup of scald getting tipped over or the newspapers getting in the way. It's all part of what brings live radio to life - the live interaction between the listener and the talent in "Real Time."

And if we're being picky it's actually MichelAngleo's David, not Michaelangelo's because he was a Italian not Irish and it's pronounced Mikkelangelo too, for what it's worth. Bah-bumb-tish! :D Only joshing you! ;)

I thought it was a lovely light piece of radio giving people something for their "water cooler" moment later in the day where they could have the doctor's missing finger from the David statue to talk about and have the sour puss one from Paris who gave Mart a telling off unfairly! :)
    There's that problem again, Yvonne,
    Few people who listen to LyricFM care what happened to Marty and they would probably have seen the story about the statue (it wasn't Michelangelo's statute) on the web the day before. Many of us do not have "water cooler" moments just as we don't read the Sun or the Star. We listen to LyricFM, or rather used to listen to it, for the music. It used to be an oasis of calm in a desert of mediocrity and self-important nobodies on the Irish radio spectrum.
    And it brings Mart down to the level of the listener instead of just being a big radio personality above underground in Radio Centre. ;)
    It seems that Marty needs to come up to the level of the average LyricFM listener than down. Some of us may have hundreds of classical (and probably other genres) CDs, records, tapes and MP3s. This isn't some audience of drooling fans in awe of an RTE personality so don't treat it like that.
    And anything can go wrong in a studio console when you're doing the fades like even a cup of scald getting tipped over or the newspapers getting in the way. It's all part of what brings live radio to life - the live interaction between the listener and the talent in "Real Time."
    Again with the technical terminology? There's a noticable change in your syntax and choice of words. Are we to take it that Yvonne is gone?
    And if we're being picky it's actually MichelAngleo's David, not Michaelangelo's because he was a Italian not Irish and it's pronounced Mikkelangelo too, for what it's worth. Bah-bumb-tish! :D Only joshing you! ;)
    If you want to be picky, then it was di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni's (more commonly Buonarroti, I think) David. And he wasn't technically Italian as Italy had not been united at that time in its history. He would have been Florentine rather than Italian as we now know it. (Well some of us anyway. :) )

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

There's that problem again, Yvonne,
    Few people who listen to LyricFM care what happened to Marty and they would probably have seen the story about the statue (it wasn't Michelangelo's statute) on the web the day before. Many of us do not have "water cooler" moments just as we don't read the Sun or the Star. We listen to LyricFM, or rather used to listen to it, for the music. It used to be an oasis of calm in a desert of mediocrity and self-important nobodies on the Irish radio spectrum.

It seems that Marty needs to come up to the level of the average LyricFM listener than down. Some of us may have hundreds of classical (and probably other genres) CDs, records, tapes and MP3s. This isn't some audience of drooling fans in awe of an RTE personality so don't treat it like that.

Again with the technical terminology? There's a noticable change in your syntax and choice of words. Are we to take it that Yvonne is gone?

If you want to be picky, then it was di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni's (more commonly Buonarroti, I think) David. And he wasn't technically Italian as Italy had not been united at that time in its history. He would have been Florentine rather than Italian as we now know it. (Well some of us anyway. :) )

Regards...jmcc

This is getting silly! I'm about to have the dinner and then turn on a DVD, but in the meantime I have my computer so here goes in the name of God as the man said.

We can all use Google or Wikipedia. Italy has been around for thousands of years and that's why we call it the Italian Renaissance not anything else. It wasn't France. And David is very delicate too actually because some lunatic got at it with a hammer once a few years ago and knocked lumps out of it!

The Sun and the Star dont' get any coverage because the editor now works for the Marty Show from the Irish Daily Star. But the Mail and the Indo and the Irish Times and even the Examiner get their fair crack of Marty's whip over the week. You can remember what trouble poor old Trish had trying to make a biteen of comedy out of the paper come to life when she was lumbered with the Marty Show last week? Fell flat on the ground like a pancake that missed the fryingpan. She'll have to "up her game" that girl if she's to keep getting primetime slots.

And all the time the listeners are being told what is coming up later on on Lyric so they have no excuse for missing it. Especially Niall Carroll who had a lovely voice and if you keep the volume low the music he plays isn't too disturbing because it's later in the morning. You can take that kind of symphony orchestra music better and better as they day goes on I find.

We can all use Google or Wikipedia.
    Then please do. There are probably some people on the thread with knowledge of the Arts and history.
    Italy has been around for thousands of years and that's why we call it the Italian Renaissance not anything else.
    Not quite. While it is generally accepted that the Renaissance began in Italy, it spread throughout Europe. Therefore people are more likely to refer to it as 'the' (European) Renaissance unless they are specificially referring to the early phase. And then there were other Renaissances.
    It wasn't France.
    Well if you knew the Romance languages, the word is French.
    And David is very delicate too actually because some lunatic got at it with a hammer once a few years ago and knocked lumps out of it!
    Sounds like the history of the LyricFM audience figures. :)

The Sun and the Star dont' get any coverage because the editor now works for the Marty Show from the Irish Daily Star.
    That might explain a lot.
    But the Mail and the Indo and the Irish Times and even the Examiner get their fair crack of Marty's whip over the week.
    I'm sure they are eternally grateful. They need the readers just as that show needs listeners who couldn't tell Classical music from a ringtone.
    You can remember what trouble poor old Trish had trying to make a biteen of comedy out of the paper come to life when she was lumbered with the Marty Show last week?
    No.
    Fell flat on the ground like a pancake that missed the fryingpan.
    Did Marty (or yourself if you are the great man) ever have any ambitions to do stand-up comedy?
    She'll have to "up her game" that girl if she's to keep getting primetime slots.
    If only there were weekly/daily listenership figures. We might know if there was an increase in listeners when the DJ changes.
    You can take that kind of symphony orchestra music better and better as they day goes on I find.
    Classical isn't just orchestral music.

Regards...jmcc

Sad. Not everyone has Third Level to be bandying words with people who have. Mart does very well with what he has and he did do comedy but it was from before the Ben Elton era that the young ones like. He is in the mold of Les Dawson. At functions if he's the compere he can be quite funny and risqee. He could have made a career in it.

But be that as it turns out I know people say French is the Language of Love, which is the phrase. It's not called the Language of Romance! There was once a Ballroom of Romance though with Brenda Fricker who is box office!

Do we need another scholar on the radio when we're having our porridge or waiting to run to Tescos when we have a man who is like ourselves there available like bottled sunshine??

For instance I felt privileged to come across the music of this Maeve he has had on as his Marty Recommends all this week. She has been signed by Warners and is going to be something huge. I hadn't heard of her before but she's like a combo of Sinead O'Connor, Enya and Hayley Westernra - she will go down very well on the Diaspora Circuit that Mary Robinson used to talk about. This is what the show is about - giving a spin to our own and helping their careers. And we should all get behind talent.

Sad. Not everyone has Third Level to be bandying words with people who have.
    Some would consider the Arts and History to be hobbies but you seem to have quite a chip on your shoulder about LyricFM listeners.
    Mart does very well with what he has and he did do comedy but it was from before the Ben Elton era that the young ones like.
    Hard to think that Ben Elton was on the Blackadder writing team. But then Marty's humour seems to be the end of the pier / double entendre style. Les Dawson was a bit more complex and had excellent comic timing and created finely observed characters. Marty doesn't seem to have that timing because he is not playing to a real audience had has no immediate feedback as to whether a joke is working or is falling flat. The Ben Elton era was approximately thirty years ago. Marty would have been twenty seven or so then. Were DJs that old back then? It always appeared to be a young person's game. :)
    He is in the mold of Les Dawson.
    Nah. He's not even close. :)
    At functions if he's the compere he can be quite funny and risqee. He could have made a career in it.
    Evidently he has - if we are to judge by his performance on LyricFM, Winning Streak and his other programmes.
    But be that as it turns out I know people say French is the Language of Love, which is the phrase.
    The term 'Romance languages' generally applies to those languages with a Roman/Latin root.
    It's not called the Language of Romance! There was once a Ballroom of Romance though with Brenda Fricker who is box office!
    That must be another one of those flow of consciousness links that you discussed earlier and as usual, no good Classical music follows. :)
    Do we need another scholar on the radio when we're having our porridge or waiting to run to Tescos when we have a man who is like ourselves there available like bottled sunshine??
    You have to get the mention of Tesco in everywhere? :) I suppose every little mention helps.
    This is what the show is about
    I would have thought, being intensely cynical, it was about giving a member of the RTE "family" a digout after his 2FM show was dropped. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

It really is time for Lyric to get rid of that clown. Is there no formal way for we - licence fee payers - to make our views known to the Montrose heirarchy ?

Almaviva wrote: »
    It really is time for Lyric to get rid of that clown.
    But Yvonne23R would be heartbroken. :) Perhaps a comedy show would be a far better use of his talents and it might even come under the culture remit of LyricFM?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Almaviva wrote: »
    It really is time for Lyric to get rid of that clown. Is there no formal way for we - licence fee payers - to make our views known to the Montrose heirarchy ?
    If you have such strong opinions on him why were you basically defending him in that post at around 9.20pm which you subsequently deleted?

If you have such strong opinions on him why were you basically defending him in that post at around 9.20pm which you subsequently deleted?

I didn't see that post for I was working here but I don't think Mart needs defending - his audience do it for him. Listen in tomorrow and you will hear all the praise that he gets from heaps of listeners. I'm thinking tomorrow might be the last day because the Team are going to be in Italy next week (they call it Italy these days I hear! :rolleyes:) and it takes a while to set up an OB in small places like Verona where there isn't an EBU station with studio facilities suitable. Venice will be a lot easier because there is a version of Lyric out there for the tourists mainly. And anyway the TV crew will be out for the Christmas Special recording using stock Andre Rieu video tracks to bulk it up - "Marty Hanging with the Red Priest" might be the "working title.;)" (Like Hector does.)

I didn't see that post for I was working here but I don't think Mart needs defending - his audience do it for him.
    Yeah Almaviva being one of them, using a style of language suspiciously familiar, and in direct reply to jmcc's post directed at 'Yvonne23R', however being unlike his/her other posts on the subject of Whelan.

I didn't see that post for I was working here but I don't think Mart needs defending - his audience do it for him.
    Well you seem to be doing quite a job here.
    it takes a while to set up an OB in small places like Verona where there isn't an EBU station with studio facilities suitable.
    So Marty didn't meet those two gentlemen of Verona when he was checking the place out? :)
    And anyway the TV crew will be out for the Christmas Special recording using stock Andre Rieu video tracks to bulk it up - "Marty Hanging with the Red Priest" might be the "working title.;)" (Like Hector does.)
    Let's hope he does not decide to wear a red cloak in tribute.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Yeah Almaviva being one of them, using a style of language suspiciously familiar, and in direct reply to jmcc's post directed at 'Yvonne23R', however being unlike his/her other posts on the subject of Whelan.

I'm sorry but I'm afraid I can't grasp exactly what you're saying there. I know it's probably my fault but it's going over my head. :confused:

I'm sorry but I'm afraid I can't grasp exactly what you're saying there. I know it's probably my fault but it's going over my head. :confused:
    Almaviva engages in a rebuttal of jmcc's reply to one of your posts, using a style of language very similar to your own, then deletes it very quickly and shortly after posts something about how to get rid of Whelan. Maybe I'm being cynical, but something (or things based on how this thread has been going) doesn't seem to add up.

Almaviva engages in a rebuttal of jmcc's replyto one of your posts, using a style of language very similar to your own, then deletes it very quickly and shortly after posts something about how to get rid of Whelan. Maybe I'm being cynical, but something (or things based on how this thread has been going) doesn't seem to add up.

Gosh people here are always going on about language! I don't write langauge only words. I don't know what Almaviva wrote but I have never met him (as far as I know) and although I am sure he could be a reasonable man behind it all he seems to be one of the ones who are criticising Marty for the good he is doing. Anyhow there isn't a snowball's chance in Hell that Mart will be moved from the hotseat because he has made the Marty Whelan Show his own and the listeners are moving in droves. I think he got an increase recently of 10%. :)

I don't know what Almaviva wrote but I have never met him (as far as I know) and although I am sure he could be a reasonable man behind it all he seems to be one of the ones who are criticising Marty for the good he is doing.
    By posting this?
    Almaviva wrote:

And this is the post by Almaviva that I am referring to (it's a copy and paste from the notification email I received earlier):

Dear Frank Grimes,

Almaviva has just posted the following in the "Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan." thread, in the Radio forum:

"
    ---Quote (Originally by jmcc)---
    Some would consider the Arts and History to be hobbies but you seem to have quite a chip on your shoulder about LyricFM listeners.
    ---End Quote---
    Not really. I just think you dont have to be really musically educated to like good music. Of all types.

Hard to think that Ben Elton was on the Blackadder writing team. But then Marty's humour seems to be the end of the pier / double entendre style. Les Dawson was a bit more complex and had excellent comic timing and created finely observed characters. Marty doesn't seem to have that timing because he is not playing to a real audience had has no immediate feedback as to whether a joke is working or is falling flat. The Ben Elton era was approximately thirty years ago. Marty would have been twenty seven or so then. Were DJs that old back then? It always appeared to be a young person's game. :)
    ---End Quote---
    Marty is quite a comic talent actually, but hasnt always had the outlet to display it. Those who know him say he is so funny in person. He could have madea career of that alone if he didnt have so many other strings to his bow.

Evidently he has - if we are to judge by his performance on LyricFM, Winning Streak and his other programmes.
    ---End Quote---
    Maybe you should here him n those situations before you decide to be so judgmental and unfair.

The term 'Romance languages' generally applies to those languages with a Roman/Latin root.
    ---End Quote---
    I think constantly showing such academic onee up manship is quite sad. Thats what make Marty such a succesful radio host - he doesnt be condescending to his listeners so people of all sorts (snobs excepted) enjoy him so much.

That must be another one of those flow of consciousness links that you discussed earlier and as usual, no good Classical music follows. :)
    ---End Quote---
    Mention a nice film and be criticised. If I were a more sensitised person I would be offended.

You have to get the mention of Tesco in everywhere? :) I suppose every little mention helps.
    ---End Quote---
    Carried away a bit by your conspiracy theory I think.

I would have thought, being intensely cynical, it was about giving a member of the RTE "family" a digout after his 2FM show was dropped. :)
    ---End Quote---
    More conspiracy theory. Why cant people not just enjoy good radio without being so cruel and trying to change what people want. Its just a few that say they dont like, and they probably would if they came down from their high horse. I said before, if you want to listen to your 'serious' music, then just tune to your bbd 4."

You won't get any more new post notifications until you visit the forum.

---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

I didn't see that post for I was working here but I don't think Mart needs defending - his audience do it for him. Listen in tomorrow and you will hear all the praise that he gets from heaps of listeners. I'm thinking tomorrow might be the last day because the Team are going to be in Italy next week (they call it Italy these days I hear! :rolleyes:) and it takes a while to set up an OB in small places like Verona where there isn't an EBU station with studio facilities suitable. Venice will be a lot easier because there is a version of Lyric out there for the tourists mainly. And anyway the TV crew will be out for the Christmas Special recording using stock Andre Rieu video tracks to bulk it up - "Marty Hanging with the Red Priest" might be the "working title.;)" (Like Hector does.)

Very impressive Verona radio broadcasting expertise around here isn't there ?

Does Mart fill in his loyal listeners with such behind the scenes detail all the time? (I wouldnt know. Haven't tuned in to Lyric in years :()

By posting this?

And this is the post by Almaviva that I am referring to (it's a copy and paste from the notification email I received earlier):

Dear Frank Grimes,

Almaviva has just posted the following in the "Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan." thread, in the Radio forum:

"
    ---End Quote---
    Not really. I just think you dont have to be really musically educated to like good music. Of all types.

---End Quote---
    Marty is quite a comic talent actually, but hasnt always had the outlet to display it. Those who know him say he is so funny in person. He could have madea career of that alone if he didnt have so many other strings to his bow.

---End Quote---
    Maybe you should here him n those situations before you decide to be so judgmental and unfair.

---End Quote---
    I think constantly showing such academic onee up manship is quite sad. Thats what make Marty such a succesful radio host - he doesnt be condescending to his listeners so people of all sorts (snobs excepted) enjoy him so much.

---End Quote---
    Mention a nice film and be criticised. If I were a more sensitised person I would be offended.

---End Quote---
    Carried away a bit by your conspiracy theory I think.

---End Quote---
    More conspiracy theory. Why cant people not just enjoy good radio without being so cruel and trying to change what people want. Its just a few that say they dont like, and they probably would if they came down from their high horse. I said before, if you want to listen to your 'serious' music, then just tune to your bbd 4."

You won't get any more new post notifications until you visit the forum.

---

I wonder if the person who wrote that is quite right? It seems a bit broken up and distracted somehow. Is it really by Almaviva do you think? :confused:

Is it really by Almaviva do you think? :confused:
    Yeah, I wonder.

Gosh people here are always going on about language! I don't write langauge only words. I don't know what Almaviva wrote but I have never met him (as far as I know) and although I am sure he could be a reasonable man
    How do you know Almaviva is a man, Yvonne? :)

Regards...jmcc

How do you know Almaviva is a man, Yvonne? :)

Regards...jmcc

Because I looked him up here.

• Advertisement

Because I looked him up here.
    Any chance you could provide the frequency for bbd 4? :) And what do you think of the comedy show idea?

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement