Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

post depression phase...I fear it can happen again!!!

• 01-02-2008 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

hello everybody,
    I don't know if this is the right place where to post this thread...and SORRY for my poor English:D
    I often posted on personal issues in the past writing about my depression and the things I was going through.
    After counselling and self anylisis now I am taking my life back into my hands:I started to go to college on a regular basis,I passed my exams scoring 100%, I am looking for a job and most of all I stopped drinking everytime I feel down or upset.
    It took me a lot of strenght to think positive and to do something about myself and my life and even the small thing of going on a diet after the weight put on because of the drinking has been difficult at the start.
    Now my biggest fear is losing control again because I really don't want to feel as bad as I felt in the last year.
    I know that I was doing myself all those things because of an uncounscious psycological reason which is counscious now so it won't let me do the same again but I really wonder....what should I do if I feel the urge of drinking?
    The thing is that when I feel upset I really don't wanna meet my friends etc..actually there's somebody I would like to have by my side but I can't have this person so...what do you guys suggest?
    I won't let all that ****e to happen again because I know I don't deserve that.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

funloving wrote: »
    what should I do if I feel the urge of drinking?
    The thing is that when I feel upset I really don't wanna meet my friends etc..actually there's somebody I would like to have by my side but I can't have this person so...what do you guys suggest?
    I think AA has a buddy system where you get a buddy to ring when you feel down and want to drink again. Or maybe I just saw it in a film.
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Hi there,

Speaking from personal experience, when you start to feel down you HAVE to break the mental cycle which will lead you into despair and feelings of worthlessness. Even if you can get out for a 5 minute walk to your local shop it will do you the world of good because it will stop your mind focusing on yourself for a while. Or if it's dark and late do some star-jumps in your living room and turn on some dance music! You might feel silly but laugh out loud:)

Remember to breathe and also remember that drink will make whatever sadness you may be experiencing 10 times worse - and you don't want that now do you?!

Hugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You should look into joining the Alcoholics Anonymous.

http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Are you back in italy funloving in which case look at the resources they have there. The numbers we have here will not be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi there,Speaking from personal experience, when you start to feel down you HAVE to break the mental cycle which will lead you into despair and feelings of worthlessness. Even if you can get out for a 5 minute walk to your local shop it will do you the world of good because it will stop your mind focusing on yourself for a while. Or if it's dark and late do some star-jumps in your living room and turn on some dance music! You might feel silly but laugh out loud:)

Remember to breathe and also remember that drink will make whatever sadness you may be experiencing 10 times worse - and you don't want that now do you?!Hugs.

The biggest preventer of depression recurring is watching out for for symptoms beginning and doing something about them.

your english seems fine to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Hi there funloving..... I really feel for you. The threat of it reoccurring is a triger in itself and whats worse is you are probably mad at yourself at just the thought of it returning.

The point you made about it been an unconscious psycological problem is where you hit the nail on the head. The key word there been Unconscious - now that you are more aware of what the problem or triger may be, it might be a good place to start focusing on, especially if you feel that the cycle may be taking a downturn again.

You have come a long long way from when you first discovered that this was a problem. Knowing what you know now about your situation should give you some confidence especially when you feel it may be happening again.

Its not easy. It is a long road but you have a good starting point. Don't give up on yourself - believe you have the confidence and knowledge to overcome this. You have brought yourself this far and well done. Take one day at a time, and go easy on yourself. Negative Self judgement with depression is detrimental. At this stage you have achieved so much, no matter what or how you may feel! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Do some physical exercise to help release endorphins which'll make you feel a bit better. I think the thing is to try not to think about going back to where you are, otherwise you might put yourself back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I was in a rather depressive state a few months back, i felt like my life was going to S**t and i thought my life was pointless. But you know what i did, i just thought about the people who do love me and how i'd be letting them down if something was to happen. Thankfully i'm happier now then i've been and i'm optmistics about the future.

Also if you feel rather down you should try going on long walks or something, it really calms you down, i prefer walks in the night because it's calming but the day would be fine as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭funloving

Thanks everybody first of all.
    I don't feel depressed anymore,actually I feel as strong as I have always been during all my life before last year...
    My family,friends know that this girl they're seeing now is the real one and I am so glad I found the resources to deal with my depression inside of me.
    During Xmas,when I was at my lowest for something that happened to me, I don't know why but suddently I thought "wait a minute, why I am wasting my life like this after all the sacrifices I made studying,working and so on?"
    If other people hurt me so badly,why am I blaming myself for something I am not guilty of?
    I am in Italy now but soon I'll be back in Ireland and I can't wait to take a break in a place I love.
    Maybe what I went through and the memory I have of it will help me in my present and future to be even stronger and to take it easy more....
    Yesterday I felt a bit upset but at the end I didnt drink...to relax I did what I love doing that is playing the guitar and singing:D

I think I learnt the lesson and I won't let anybody,me included, to maltreat(?) me again ..

Advertisement