Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Don't leave them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Got a letter in the post, moved in a few weeks back and the letter stated that nobody was home but the inspector saw a TV onsite, now unless he is Spiderman and scaled the back wall of the apartment black I dont know how he could see this. I assume its a bluff letter!

Yes, from the broadcasting act.

An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place."
    Im really not sure how they are allowed to do this, Gards cant even do that!

Yes, from the broadcasting act.

An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place."
    Im really not sure how they are allowed to do this, Gards cant even do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pole drift

What happens if they call to the house and you dont have a licence?? Do you get a warning to get one before your summonsed to court??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly common sense should apply. If you have a TV then get a licence. Otherwise you may end up in court with fines etc. Also it's the right thing to do.

If you do not have a TV, and are not really bothered it's probably simpler just to show the person around and prove you don't have a TV. However if you have a rabbit's ears, an old TV aerial or dish on the house or an old TV in a press they could rightly say you have the indications of having something capable of watching tv, even if you don't watch TV.

If you don't want to let the person in, then don't. They could always come back with the Gardai etc, but unless they have the right to bash your door down then you have the right to close the door in their face.

They also try to find out your name, so they can write you letters and bring you to court. As said above if they have anything that could be suggested to be used for receiving TV and your name they will try get you to pay and if not go to court.

In reality if you get a licence asap they will probably leave you alone, but if not you many end up in court with fines on top of having to get a licence.

Personally if I did not have a TV I would make sure I did not have a dish on the house, nor a TV aerial nor a TV on the premisis. I would they weigh up the hassle of then calling back and sending me letters vs showing them around my private house.

From a legal point of view I don't think they could knock the door down without a court order.

By the way I would not tell them your name, neither whether you have TV or not, nor whether you actually live there or are visiting as all they want is statements and proof to bring someone to court or get them to get a licence. Any question they ask you will be used for their benefit, not yours. Saying "I don't have a Tv nor a licence" is not going to get them to just walk away, but they will note your name and statement.

I do have a TV licence under the name "The occupier" in case I forget to pay in the future. The last thing I want is a summonse in my name because I gave them my name and forgot to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Hi.

I just move to a new apartment which does not have a TV. However I would like to have a device to connect my Apple TV and stream Netflix content and watch my own movies, but I never watch TV so I would like to (legally) avoid the licence f possible. There is UPC in the building and I am a subscriber for broadband and phone only (ie the only equipment I got form UPC is a modem/router with phone capability, nothing capable of receiving a TV signal). I guess I might have access to their analog signal since the account is active for broadband and phone (but can't check that as no TV).

My 2 questions are:
    1) If I buy a large 27 computer screen with HDMI in and no tuner to plug my Apple TV, am I clear from requiring the licence? (I will clearly have no device capable of receiving the signal, but I suspect UPC is broadcasting the analog one)
    2) I read of a potential new "Broadcasting Licence" which would include anything capable of viewing RTE online - as I have a laptop this would force me to pay anyway. Do we know if this is actually going to be introduced and the timeframe? (If I am going to be forced to pay soon just for my laptop, I might as well buy an actual TV instead of the computer screen since for the same price I can get a bigger screen and better speakers).

Cheers!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merging with the general TV licence thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

zg3409 wrote: »

Personally if I did not have a TV I would make sure I did not have a dish on the house, nor a TV aerial nor a TV on the premisis. I would they weigh up the hassle of then calling back and sending me letters vs showing them around my private house.

There is no way I would trouble myself removing aerial and/or dish just to 'make it look like' I did not have a TV.

It would cost to remove them, and cost even more to replace them if I or anyone else decided they wanted to watch TV in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Firstly common sense should apply. If you have a TV then get a licence. Otherwise you may end up in court with fines etc. Also it's the right thing to do.

In your opinion
    If you do not have a TV, and are not really bothered it's probably simpler just to show the person around and prove you don't have a TV.

They have no right to enter your home without a court order. i have not heard of anyone getting their door knocked in by the gaurds for not having a TV license.
    Why? The hassle and cost of removing, storing/disposing of them would be more than the license. If they want to call back often then that is upto them.
    By the way I would not tell them your name

Correct. Unless I am mistaken they cannot summons 'The Occupier'. They have to have your name. Funnily enough despite getting letters via An Post everyday the company does not use these to find out your name (probably due to data protection). Therefore they have to find it out for themselves presumably by asking you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    They have no right to enter your home without a court order. i have not heard of anyone getting their door knocked in by the gaurds for not having a TV license.

Are you sure about that? The broadcasting act states something quite different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yes but breaking down your door? It would need a court order. If you refuse them entry then they have to go and get a court order.

It is your house.

If they call film them on your phone. Ask them have they the right to enter your house against your wishes.

Note: I am not advocating non compliance with the law. Just know what your rights are

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Yes but breaking down your door? It would need a court order. If you refuse them entry then they have to go and get a court order.

It is your house.

If they call film them on your phone. Ask them have they the right to enter your house against your wishes.

Note: I am not advocating non compliance with the law. Just know what your rights are

They have the right to enter. Its there in the broadcasting act they do not need a court order. Who said anything about breaking down your door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

They have the right to enter.

They have no right to enter once you deny them entry.
    Their next step is to approach the Guards for help gaining entry/court order (good luck with that).

They will probably instead fill out their little form with the "TV noted on premises" lie they have been caught out on so many times.
    The most recent one I heard of was from a buddy in a 5th floor apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭decmanning

I moved into my new apartment last year, had no tv for 6 weeks, everything grand, not a sniff of a tv inspector, then i got upc in, 2 days later i had a card from the tv licence inspector in my postbox, upc the little rats :(

Havent gotten around to paying it although i think i will eventually as i have had a few cards left from the inspector, i have a question though, to get into my apartment block you need a pin to get through the front door, you then have to come upsatirs and knock on my front door, i never answer unless i know someone is coming over so basically a tv licence inspector can never get to me and cannot look in any window to see the tv unless he brings a ladder, my mate made a point to me at the weekend that in order for them to bring you to court they must serve you with a summons in person either to you or a family member at your address, if they cannot serve a summons on me because they cant get to me can they actually take me to court??

They have the right to enter. Its there in the broadcasting act they do not need a court order. Who said anything about breaking down your door?

I did. It would be the logical conclusion to refusing them entry???

There are a load of English guys (I know, different legislation) that posted their dealings with TV license inspectors on youtube.

I am not a law person so cannot vouch for the leagalities or the legislation but would defer to our friends in the legal forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=205650739

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056467654&page=4

mikom wrote: »
    They have no right to enter once you deny them entry.
    Their next step is to approach the Guards for help gaining entry/court order (good luck with that).

They will probably instead fill out their little form with the "TV noted on premises" lie they have been caught out on so many times.
    The most recent one I heard of was from a buddy in a 5th floor apartment.

They have the right to enter until you deny it, as stated clearly in the above Act. Whether they actually get a court order is irrelevant - the question asked was "do they have a right to enter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

They have the right to enter until you deny it, as stated clearly in the above Act. Whether they actually get a court order is irrelevant - the question asked was "do they have a right to enter".

A "letter of the law" kinda guy.
    I like you.

So if they have the right to enter yet you have the right to deny it? Where do we go from here?:D

On a practical level as I have said I have never heard of a forced entry to check if someone has a TV. What they or I are legally allowed do is irrelevant if it is never actioned. I would imagine a summons would be the conclusion to refusing them entry but I would imagine they would need your name and a reasonable belief that you have a TV or 'receiving apparatus' on the premesis. Maybe someone who has taken this issue further could post and clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭JR1210

Ive been getting lots of letters to my apartment for a tv license, but in the last month the letters have been coming to my girlfriend, they must have got her name from the social or the post office. Anyway twice there has been someone to the door when I have not been there. The latest card says get a license within 5 working days
    The thing is my contract in the apartment is up next month and so will be moving
    Can anyone advise if the inspector comes after normal working hours and if they can fine you if no one answers to them?
    If you say you dont have a TV will they still come around?

• Advertisement

I would say it is very unlikely that they will be ready to prosecute within a month. I got that card a couple of weeks ago and have not heard any more about it. They have knocked 3 or 4 times but I have 'never been here' when they were knocking downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I have a question about tv licences and direct debits ( I'm sorry if it has been covered already)

Basically I renewed my licence this week and find getting the 160 e together pretty tough going. I want to start paying by direct debit and spread the cost over the year.

What I want to know is ; do I set up a direct debit now so when it comes to September next year I'll automatically have it renewed?

Or do I wait until next September to set up the direct debit??

If I set it up now, will I be technically buying two licences for the next year??

Thx in advance. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

I know they did have access to cable company records, so knew if a house had a TV, not sure if that still stands due to changing companies.
    Also, at the end of the day you have to pretty much get one anyway. Firstly if you reside there, it's your responsibility, property owner or not. Secondly, if you get taken to court it's up to the judge as to whether or not he takes your word that you don't have a TV.
    I've been to court over this. I was fined about 250 euro, (as I recall) on top of the cost of a new licence. My defence was I let it slide due to not having very much money at the time, (was unemployed) so the judge figured fining me 250 would serve lady justice well. Nice guy.
    The new licence set to cover desktop/laptops too, will be fun. Basically it'll be like a second household tax. Every house will have no option but to pay, unless a judge believes you've only a wax cylinder or crystal set in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭JR1210

I've been to court over this. I was fined about 250 euro

How did they get you to court? Did they send a summons in the post?

Does anyone know if you can set up a standing order for a couple of months and then cancel it? I dont expect to be here too much longer and so not paying for a full year up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

JR1210 wrote: »
    How did they get you to court? Did they send a summons in the post?

Does anyone know if you can set up a standing order for a couple of months and then cancel it? I dont expect to be here too much longer and so not paying for a full year up front

Registered letter. I had to go sign for it at the local post office, before I knew what it was of course.

I believe it's the full year. And they back date it to the last bill, meaning if your last on ran out in January the one you buy today will be due for renewal next January.
    You can probably get away with just moving and that'll be it. They tend to go by address rather than follow John Smith about the place like Dr. Richard Kimble :)

I have been in a new apartment for 2 months. The TV licence guy has called at least once and left his little card.
    Now I will most likely pay it eventually but am interested to see how long the process will take. Bear in mind I don't answer my front door as the bell doesn't work (anyone I want to talk to will calll my mobile).
    Was that registered letter in your name or to the occupier?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

So this may have been covered already, and sorry if it was.

As it stands there is no TV in the house, so i do not need a licence.

However i am considering getting one for watching DVD's and for a console. I have an old TV in storage so i can drag that out.

Now it is not capable of receiving digital signals, and there is no cable/satellite televeision into the house. When they turn off the analouge signal in October, will it still count as a Television?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

OmeGar wrote: »

However i am considering getting one for watching DVD's and for a console. I have an old TV in storage so i can drag that out.

Now it is not capable of receiving digital signals, and there is no cable/satellite televeision into the house. When they turn off the analouge signal in October, will it still count as a Television?

There is no indication that it will NOT require a licence ...... so Yes you need a licence.

Alternatively of course you could get a display without a tuner, and provided no other device in the household has a tuner for receiving broadcast TV signals you would not need a licence.

If, using any combination of devices, you can receive broadcast TV signals (whether they exist or not apparently) then you need a licence it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

There is no indication that it will NOT require a licence ...... so Yes you need a licence.

Alternatively of course you could get a display without a tuner, and provided no other device in the household has a tuner for receiving broadcast TV signals you would not need a licence.

If, using any combination of devices, you can receive broadcast TV signals (whether they exist or not apparently) then you need a licence it seems.

Yeah, but i don't want to spend the money on a display when i have an Old TV in storage that would do fine.

Thanks for the thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭intbn

OmeGar wrote: »

That's a great question, can anyone answer this?

Advertisement