Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Research A Soldier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Checked the Irish Memorials Records and theres four T or Thomas Kerrigans listed,one of these is Thomas Kerrigan already listed as being killed in action on sep 7th 1916,further info says born Manorhamilton Leitrim,I myself can find no other Kerrigan listed in the R.I.R only this one and the other kerrigans that have died on similar dates only different years are coming up as being in different regiments,I think maybe the date of year given in the Leitrim Guardian must be a mistake.He's age was twenty three at his time of death listed below.If this is indeed your man and then he was killed in the Somme offensive and the previous info should be able to give you his whereabouts at his time of death.
    Forename
    KERRIGAN
    THOMAS
    RIFLEMAN
    7TH ROYAL IRISH RIFLESath
    SOMME, FRANCE
    MANORHAMILTON, CO. LEITRIM

just had a look for kerrigan on the cencus,his age would of been 17/18 if he died 1916,the only one I can find in leitreim at the time is a Thomas Kerrigan aged 17 living in Tawnamachugh.
    This of course may not be him but have a look anyway.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Leitrim/Glencar/Tawnamachugh/656331/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I have the 1911 census records for my realtion and he was 16 years of age in 1911.This could be him.

True, that could be him. The only way of knowing is by asking in the family if he was ever married to a Mary. I can get their exact home address from Ancestry and post it here later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

arnhem44 wrote: »
    just had a look for kerrigan on the cencus,his age would of been 17/18 if he died 1916,the only one I can find in leitreim at the time is a Thomas Kerrigan aged 17 living in Tawnamachugh.
    This of course may not be him but have a look anyway.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Leitrim/Glencar/Tawnamachugh/656331/
    thats close but not exact.There was a lot of Kerrigan's in Tawnmachugh.the following link his him,aged 16. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Leitrim/Glencar/Tawnamachugh/656332/

is that any help to you?Thanks for your help so far.

Forename
    KERRIGAN
    THOMAS
    RIFLEMAN
    7TH ROYAL IRISH RIFLESath
    SOMME, FRANCE
    MANORHAMILTON, CO. LEITRIM

the Leitrim Guardian probably have the wrong date.In the Leitrim Guardian his Rank no is 7247.that would be a match for the above.I have seen with the 1901 and 1911 census's that there can be differences of more than 10 years in people's date of birth.His date of birth may have been recorded wrong on the 1911 census and he may infact have been older than recorded.This is only my own theory.

• Advertisement

I did see that one on the Cencus but had him ruled out due to the age of the KIA soldier who was 23 in 1916,Ya I have noticed the Cencus can be misinterpreted when reading them,are those two lots of kerrigan's related?,out of curiousity.Sometimes when men enlisted they often lied about there age and even who they were from time to time not saying that this man in question had reason to.From whats found I would be inclined to say that Thomas Kerrigan who died 1916 is your man,it may of just been a simple mispelling in the paper at the time when it was printed.Have you anything belonging to him from his time at war,like were his medals claimed by the family or a pension of any sorts

I did see that one on the Cencus but had him ruled out due to the age of the KIA soldier who was 23 in 1916,Ya I have noticed the Cencus can be misinterpreted when reading them,are those two lots of kerrigan's related?,out of curiousity.Sometimes when men enlisted they often lied about there age and even who they were from time to time not saying that this man in question had reason to.From whats found I would be inclined to say that Thomas Kerrigan who died 1916 is your man,it may of just been a simple mispelling in the paper at the time when it was printed.Have you anything belonging to him from his time at war,like were his medals claimed by the family or a pension of any sorts
    Im not actually sure if they were related(probably).

I first heard of Thomas being mentioned in an interview done with his brother Charlie Kerrigan(who took part in the Indian Mutiny 1920).He said he had two brothers who fought in the Great War,Thomas and Dinny(prob not his real name),Dinny lived but was left deaf for life.He moved to Australia in 1920.Do you think that Thomas may be the same man who was mentioned in previous posts as being married to Mary.

Ponster wrote: »
    True, that could be him. The only way of knowing is by asking in the family if he was ever married to a Mary. I can get their exact home address from Ancestry and post it here later.
    if you could get the exact address,it would be great.Im going ask a few relations to see what they know.

Im not actually sure if they were related(probably).

I first heard of Thomas being mentioned in an interview done with his brother Charlie Kerrigan(who took part in the Indian Mutiny 1920).He said he had two brothers who fought in the Great War,Thomas and Dinny(prob not his real name),Dinny lived but was left deaf for life.He moved to Australia in 1920.Do you think that Thomas may be the same man who was mentioned in previous posts as being married to Mary.

Did Charlie marry? It should be possible to get the marriage certs for both Charlie and the Thomas who married Mary and check if they have the same parents.

What would 'Dinny' be short for ?

Did Charlie marry? It should be possible to get the marriage certs for both Charlie and the Thomas who married Mary and check if they have the same parents.

What would 'Dinny' be short for ?
    ya Charile did marry,he married Florence Fallon of Calry on the 12-09-1923.I know everyone of his descendats,right down to myself.

Thomas is the mystery.Dinny is probably short for Dennis,they had a brother named Dennis on the 1901 census.

• Advertisement

Denis Kerrigan, Royal Irish Rifles, Regimental number 7/6384, Theater : France 1915

That's problem him (I imagine the 3 brothers all joined the same regiment?)

Denis Kerrigan, Royal Irish Rifles, Regimental number 7/6384, Theater : France 1915

That's problem him (I imagine the 3 brothers all joined the same regiment?)
    Thats great help.
    Thomas and Dennis would have joined the Royal Irish Rifles around 1914.

Charile joined the Connaught Rangers in 1918,he was based in India,were the Mutiny took place on the 28 June 1920,after which he was one of fourteen sentenced to death but he later had his sentence reduced to life imprisonment.He was released in 1923 after the Treaty and went back to live in the homestead in Tawnmachugh.

Does it give any other information on Dennis?

No more info on Denis (yet!)

But it seems that the Thomas I found (from Roscommon, married to Mary) probably isn't your guy as he was in the ASC Supply Branch Corps.

If I was a gambling man (which I am) I'd say that Thomas Kerrigan, RIR, REg #7247 is your man though proving that is going to be almost impossible with the records that are available today.

No more info on Denis (yet!)

But it seems that the Thomas I found (from Roscommon, married to Mary) probably isn't your guy as he was in the ASC Supply Branch Corps.

If I was a gambling man (which I am) I'd say that Thomas Kerrigan, RIR, REg #7247 is your man though proving that is going to be almost impossible with the records that are available today.
    i definetley agree with you I now think that is our man,His rank no in the Leitrim Guardian in 7247.so id say thats our man.What more information could you get for me on him?

i definetley agree with you I now think that is our man,His rank no in the Leitrim Guardian in 7247.so id say thats our man.What more information could you get for me on him?

Have you read any of this before,if not its worth going through and will give you an idea what may be possible to find on a soldier and how to go about doing it.

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad.htm

Have you read any of this before,if not its worth going through and will give you an idea what may be possible to find on a soldier and how to go about doing it.

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad.htm
    Thanks for all your help guys.I've looked through that link and most of the army records are only viewable at the National Archives in UK,this involves a visit.

Sure does.Anyone here ever been to the archives in Kew?

Can anyone throw some light on this man,his name is Bartholomew McCarthy,a third class air mechanic KIA on the 21/11/1918

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2743878

Can anyone throw some light on this man,his name is Bartholomew McCarthy,a third class air mechanic KIA on the 21/11/1918

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2743878

Off to the shops so don't have much time but I found a Bartholomew McCarthy, born 1881 in St Annes, Cork who joined the Royal Engineers but his number isn't the same as the one you listed (301252) though soldiers had different numbers for different regiments.

p.s. Not him. your guy died in 1918, mine still alive in 1919

He's buried in a local graveyard but he doesn't appear on Irelands Memorial Records and it doesn't give any next of kin details from the CWGC.I can only assume he's local considering where the burial ground is and another guess is that he must of been at home when he passed away.

• Advertisement

and another guess is that he must of been at home when he passed away.

Maybe seeing as he died 10 days after the war had ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

had a look on Ancestry but nothing found. It's possible that he was Royal Naval Air Service rather than Army prior to the creation of the RAF in which case his info won't be on Ancestry.

The only references to an "Air Mechanic" I can find on the UK National Archives are for a different McCarthy

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?queryType=1&resultcount=1&Edoc_Id=6722067

On the basis thar he could have died on a trip back to Ireland rather than on service, I had a look at the 1911 census and Bartholomew McCarthy seems to be a name focused in Co Cork - 11 found in Ireland; 9 of them in Cork.

Thanks for the help lads,pity his age wasn't given in the casualty details.Hopefully someone out there has something on him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did you try the graveyard?
    They should have a record of who owned/paid for the grave (probably relatives).

it's a CWGC headstone,the graveyard in question is completely overgrown and is in the middle of private land with a public right of way and is very seldom used,the church that was once near this graveyard is long since gone so I don't know who would have the records for such places,I do know that many of the records for these graveyards are in public hands and not the church around here.

Lads can anyone give some info on this soldier.I don't believe he was a casualty as there's no record of him on the CWGC,his name and serial number is 6993 SJT.A.J.LOWES IRISH GUARDS.What I'm looking for is his date of entry into a theatre of war and hopefully some info about where he was from.

From Google but I guess you already know it?

BTW, it's A. T. Lowes and not A. J.

British War and Victory Medals (6993 Sjt., Ir. Gds.)

Alfred Thomas Lowes, who was from East Ham, Essex, enlisted in the Irish Guards in March 1915, aged 23 years. Going out to France with the 2nd Battalion in August 1915, he gained advancement to Lance-Corporal in the following month and to Lance-Sergeant in September 1916, but was wounded on the 15th of the latter month and evacuated home. Rejoining his Battalion out in France soon after the end of hostilities, Lowes was finally discharged back home in April 1919.

From Ancestry :
    Alfred Thomas Lowes
    Estimated birth year: abt 1892
    Age at Enlistment: 23
    Residence: 5 Boundary Rd, East Plam Essex
    Document Year: 1915
    Regimental Number: 6993
    Number of Images: 6

Pension records and medal card available from Ancestry.

At a guess I'd say he married Gladys D B Temlett in 1924.

They only had the one child, Terence V Lowes, born 1925 in West Ham.
    Terrence seems to have married Eileen I O'Connell in Harlow in 1949.

The only matching possible death is
    Alfred T Lowes
    Death Registration Month/Year: 1963
    Age at death (estimated): 71
    Registration district: Horsham
    Inferred County: Sussex
    Volume: 5h
    Page: 1028

From Google but I guess you already know it?

BTW, it's A. T. Lowes and not A. J.

From Ancestry :

Pension records and medal card available from Ancestry.

Hi Ponster,once again thanks for helping out on this one.You are correct with the initial,I misread it from his medal,interesting that you turned up the info of him being wounded.If I might ask,where did that info come from,I tried a straight forward search on Google and it turned up nothing that I could see,but by going by my eyesight today,hmm!

• Advertisement

I got it from DNW auctioneers

I'll go through the pension records later today and see if it matches with their info.

edit :it seems he signed up in Match 1915, was wounded in 1916 and headed back to the UK and was sent back to France on 25-11-1918 ( a little late! ) I can't make out the writing on the record explain what type of injury. I'll post it up here later.

Advertisement