Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AerLingus Flight Attendants - a Grumpy lot: My experience from USA

• 13-10-2014 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Just got back from USA on Flight EI146 SF to Dublin on Saturday and I have to say that the service provided by the staff on the flight left a lot to be desired.

The food was awful and choice very limited.
    The Aer hostesses looked very grumpy and moved around like mother superiors about to give us a slap on the wrist, and
    Asking for an extra cup of tea was like something out of Oliver.

Cead Mile Failte - how are ya ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Conology wrote: »
    Just got back from USA on Flight EI146 SF to Dublin on Saturday and I have to say that the service provided by the staff on the flight left a lot to be desired.

The Aer hostesses looked very grumpy and moved around like mother superiors about to give us a slap on the wrist, and

Empathise for one second. Could be the end of a long week. She doesn't choose the ready made meal providers. You know, if you went the extra mile and were overly nice to her, you could have made her day. Rather than waiting for her to be out of ear shot and start moaning

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

El Inho wrote: »
    Empathise for one second. Could be the end of a long week. She doesn't choose the ready made meal providers. You know, if you went the extra mile and were overly nice to her, you could have made her day. Rather than waiting for her to be out of ear shot and start moaning

Yes -its a tough job, but their choice to do it, so they could be a lot more friendly at the same time.
    An extra, ridiculously small cup of undrinkable coffee, was nearly thrown at us, a 3rd cup of tea - was nearly an offence to be hauled off the plane in handcuffs over.
    Come on - I don't think I'm asking a lot as a fare paying customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Yes -its a tough job, but their choice to do it, so they could be a lot more friendly at the same time.
    An extra, ridiculously small cup of undrinkable coffee, was nearly thrown at us, a 3rd cup of tea - was nearly an offence to be hauled off the plane in handcuffs over.

Many don't grow up with the dream of being an air Stewart. While is their job, it's unfair to assume it's their choice. If you work in a position that deals with the public, like I have for many years, it's very easy to understand that even the best people have a bad day. Maybe even just a bad few hours.

"bad" customer service is a double edge sword too. You felt hard down by, then you aren't as polite and it spirals from there.

People are to quick to judge certain professions and the service they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have worked in hospitality and believe me after a while it gets on your nerves. People asking the same stupid question and then falling to understand the answer. People thinking they you are their slave just because they have booked a room/brought a ticket. People then give out to you when you don't look delighted to deal with their issues.

Your attitude is actually the attitude I hated when I was working that job. The customers attitude that I have paid for something and therefore I should be entitled to everything perfect and with a smile. That air host could be working her 5th day in a row and is exhausted. But yet you believe she should be delighted to deal with you because you brought a ticket? Do you deal with everyone in your job with a smile and fake niceness all the time?

El Inho wrote: »
    Many don't grow up with the dream of being an air Stewart. While is their job, it's unfair to assume it's their choice. If you work in a position that deals with the public, like I have for many years, it's very easy to understand that even the best people have a bad day. Maybe even just a bad few hours.

"bad" customer service is a double edge sword too. You felt hard down by, then you aren't as polite and it spirals from there.

People are to quick to judge certain professions and the service they get.

Again - I agree it's a tough job, but I repeat - I'm asking for an extra cup of tea or coffee - not a Fillet Steak - Medium rare - with sauce on the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Bear in mind that they would have flown from Dublin to SF, had minimum rest and then operated back. So while their minds might have wanted them to be bright, cheerful and helpful, their body clocks might have strenuously objected.

Fatigue amongst airline staff is a big issue, as no two people adjust to the time differences in the same way, its extremely difficult to give everyone the time required for their bodies to adjust.

Gone are the days of flying to a destination and having a week long layover :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I agree you don't have to be fake chirpy at all times but I think the word we're looking for is professionalism.

hfallada wrote: »
    I have worked in hospitality and believe me after a while it gets on your nerves. People asking the same stupid question and then falling to understand the answer. People thinking they you are their slave just because they have booked a room/brought a ticket. People then give out to you when you don't look delighted to deal with their issues.

Your attitude is actually the attitude I hated when I was working that job. The customers attitude that I have paid for something and therefore I should be entitled to everything perfect and with a smile. That air host could be working her 5th day in a row and is exhausted. But yet you believe she should be delighted to deal with you because you brought a ticket? Do you deal with everyone in your job with a smile and fake niceness all the time?

Sure its a tough job, and there are many more in the Customer Service field such as Hotel staff, Telephonists, Nurses, etc etc, the list is endless and each one has to get up in the morning and go out and smile even after a bad day and deal with customers/clients/patients - that's part of the difficult job that they do and I, like most reasonably minded people, empathise with each of these professions too. Don't forget - There are many people out there without any jobs who would be glad to have one in the Customer Service field.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

There are many people out there without any jobs who would be glad to have one in the Customer Service field.
    And they in time will also be affected by fatigue and will grunt at you on a return flight from SFO!

smurfjed wrote: »
    And they in time will also be affected by fatigue and will grunt at you on a return flight from SFO!

Sorry - but grunting at customers by anyone is not acceptable under any circumstances and in the long run will destroy any business.
    Not one passenger on board the flight was in any way disrespectful or difficult with any of the air-hostesses and would not deserve being "grunted" at - or being given bad treatment.
    The front line staff are the face of any organisation and they can make or break a company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Being courteous to paying customers is part of their job. If they can't fulfil their duties to a decent standard, they should either ask for working conditions that allow them to be at their best or find another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thanks for posting your own review here. I've changed the title to show it is your own experience, on this occasion and NOT a reflection on all AerLingus air-hostesses .

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Thanks for posting your own review here. I've changed the title to show it is your own experience, on this occasion and NOT a reflection on all AerLingus air-hostesses .

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Thanks for the correction
    Point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Are they still called Air Hostesses? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Are they still called Air Hostesses? ?

Would flight attendants might be more suitable perhaps?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Belcanto

i have had the opposite experience and can't praise the staff highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

pics plz

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

In the interests of balance, I had a wholly different experience recently. On quite a late Aer Lingus flight back into Dublin, I witnessed an individual, obviously worse for wear from over indulging, spew forth all that he had imbibed earlier that day. Unable to tend to himself, the flight attendants were instantly on the scene, chirpy as you like, cleaning up this not inconsiderable mess. I'm almost certain this was their last shift of the day given the time, and tbh I couldn't fault their attitude.

Maybe, I'm biased...I know the Aer Lingus of old are long gone but I still feel a certain sense of warmth when it comes round to boarding one of their planes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

I've experienced this type of treatment a few years ago on a flight back from Amsterdam.

I had a few beers before getting on, and must have been annoying her in some way coz she was an absolute **** towards me. From checking if I was wearing a seatbelt to serving food and tea.

It felt like she was trying to get me to react in a bad way! :eek:

She had the aura of a nun from the 50's. Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

There is no excuse for poor customer service . If it is at the end on a tough shift then take it up with management ,not take it out on your customer.

Basic stuff really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Always good to see hyperbole free reviews ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I was actually on Ei146 last Saturday, despite a delayed departure we arrived only a few minutes late. I was in the front economy cabin, right side.

Service was attentive, usual choice of two meals, beef stew was grand.

Was addressed as Sir consistently, I was in economy (In business it is always Mr X). Crew seemed to be in good spirits when I dropped up the galley for a water

On the way out a few weeks before one of the flight attendants recognised me from a flight the previous day, so I think the OP's experience is not in line with norms, Aer Lingus is normally miles ahead of most carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

I always find Aer Lingus staff always friendly and helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Came back on EI 138 last Monday (Boston - Dublin) and found the service to be pretty poor.

First there was a whole saga around my booking when I arrived at the airport that took nearly 40 minutes to sort out - not the Flight Attendants fault, admittedly.

The food choice was fine but was so overcooked it was inedible. I tried to change the meal but was told I couldn't. Then when they went around with the tea and coffee, I asked for coffee but got tea - they'd mixed the pots up!!! I was asked if I was ok with tea - having had the messing around with the meal I just mumbled 'fine' - I really wanted to say that if I had wanted tea I would have asked for it.

Then when we arrived on stand, there was no one to drive the airbridge (again not the flight attendants' fault) - so we had to sit there for about 15/20 minutes waiting!

Maybe I'm just unlucky - but every time I go trans-Atlantic with AL the service is pretty poor.

I flew out with Virgin and the contrast was striking!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Surprised by some of the responses here.
    It's no concern of the passenger whether the flight attendants are at the end of a tough shift or not.
    They are there to do a job and to ensure the customers have a pleasant flight as they so often brag about in their PR.
    If they cant even put on a friendly face when a customer asks for a 3rd cup of coffee, they shouldn't be there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

.. Aer Lingus is normally miles ahead of most carriers.

Now I've had good and bad experiences with Aer Lingus over the years but that statement just doesn't stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Having read through the whole thread I can say I have had both good and bad experiences with EI, what I find the funniest though is the people defending the 'bad service', as in 'last flight on a long day, last flight of a 5 day shift' and so on, got me thinking, if it was a different airlines name in the title this thread would be totally different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm repeating myself here, but I think Delta have raised their game considerably these past few years and I find their levels of service consistently outshine that of EI on Transatlantic routes. Delta crew in the main are cordial with an easy manner about them & you'll frequently spot them being pro-active in anticipating and acting upon customer needs.

By contrast, too many EI crew on long-haul strike me as aloof and uninterested, doing the bare minimum to get by and many times appearing put out by what you'd consider some fairly routine requests - an extra blanket here, a glass of water there or helping a passenger resolve an issue with a dodgy IFE system etc.

I tend to be a low maintenance flyer & require very little from the crew, but when you travel both carriers on a regular basis, the marked disparity in the tone and demeanour of the respective staff really does become all too apparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Surprised by some of the responses here.
    It's no concern of the passenger whether the flight attendants are at the end of a tough shift or not.
    They are there to do a job and to ensure the customers have a pleasant flight as they so often brag about in their PR.
    If they cant even put on a friendly face when a customer asks for a 3rd cup of coffee, they shouldn't be there in the first place.

I agree.hardly anyone has mentioned the fact that you pay a pretty penny for this service, and a long haul flight is not cheap in any way.
    They are there to do a job,end of a long shift is a bs excuse in my opinion.
    I would be classed also as a low maintenance flyer, but if i ask for something i dont want to be made feel like a scolded child ,which has happened on occasion and not just with aer lingus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I flew with transatlantic with EI in September. They were friendly and up for the banter with the Americans on board. Granted, maybe some of that was a touch of paddywhackery. Heard their pre-flight safety discussion at the gate, it was interesting to catch. Detailed. On the service aspect, I'd lean a little towards Yamanoto's remarks above. Having previously used Delta and BA I found their services for extra drinks, etc were more frequent, even though I usually don't want anything beyond water.

Advertisement