Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book/TV question??? Dont spoil

• 21-09-2014 5:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, has and is the TV series following the books exactly, well at least for the major things like characters dying etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Just a quick question, has and is the TV series following the books exactly, well at least for the major things like characters dying etc...
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I'd say no

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

On balance Yes.
    However characters may die for slightly different reasons and at different times.
    And also some minor characters have died on TV that are still alive in the books.

Tough to answer without giving examples which may lead to spoilering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I'd say the best answer would lie in the grey area between yes and no. It's simply not feasible for the TV show to copy everything from the books so obviously a lot of minor details got removed from the show.

The bigger talking points are when major plot lines are changed or even worse, left out. I won't spoil anything but I will say that as the series goes on, the show runners seem to be leaving more and more from the books behind and going their own way with the story.

Whether or not this is a good idea remains to be seen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's a chart of how closely the first three books' chapters and TV episodes follow each other here: http://anibundel.com/2014/04/09/a-song-of-ice-and-fire-vs-game-of-thrones-the-infographic/

At first it's a close match but diverges in later seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

On balance Yes.
    However characters may die for slightly different reasons and at different times.
    And also some minor characters have died on TV that are still alive in the books.

Tough to answer without giving examples which may lead to spoilering.

You can give examples that have happened in the series so far as im up to date with the series.

I was just concerned someone was going to spoil something from a book that has yet to be played on the series.

You can give examples that have happened in the series so far as im up to date with the series.

I was just concerned someone was going to spoil something from a book that has yet to be played on the series.

In the book Robbs wife isn't at the red wedding so she isn't killed. There were loads of wild theories amongst book readers about her that died the second she got stabbed in the belly on screen. Her name isn't Talisa in the books either, it's Jeyne..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You see I'm not sure if its a book spoiler for you to be told X died in the TV series but is still alive in the books
    Brans friend Jojen, Jons mates at the wall Gryn and Pyp, Robs wife as explained above. All still alive in the books. Or that some deaths had subtle differences such as Lysas, Shaes.
    Or that there is conflicting evidence from book/tv show about whether certain characters are alive or dead

I suppose my question would be why you are asking???
    Is it 'Should you read the books'. Yes imo.
    Is it 'Can I start at a particular point'. No imo, you really need to read from the start.
    Is it 'If I read all the books will I get spoilers for the show'. Yes you will, though could read the first 3 books relatively safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

You see I'm not sure if its a book spoiler for you to be told X died in the TV series but is still alive in the books
    Brans friend Jojen, Jons mates at the wall Gryn and Pyp, Robs wife as explained above. All still alive in the books. Or that some deaths had subtle differences such as Lysas, Shaes.
    Or that there is conflicting evidence from book/tv show about whether certain characters are alive or dead

I suppose my question would be why you are asking???
    Is it 'Should you read the books'. Yes imo.
    Is it 'Can I start at a particular point'. No imo, you really need to read from the start.
    Is it 'If I read all the books will I get spoilers for the show'. Yes you will, though could read the first 3 books relatively safely.

I was asking because I had something spoiled on me regarding a death.

I was only really wondering is there a chance the person who died might actually survive in the series even though in the books the person died.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

I was asking because I had something spoiled on me regarding a death.

I was only really wondering is there a chance the person who died might actually survive in the series even though in the books the person died.

I'd take the plunge & read all the books before the next series. I read all of them after season 1, and knowing what happened in no way spoiled the TV series for me, plus there is a level of plot & character development in the books that no TV show could ever replicate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Your guess is as good as anyone's in all honesty. We may have read the books but we haven't seen season five of the tv show. It's all to play for really.

Another point worth noting is that sometimes people die in the books and it ends up that they're not really dead at all :pac:

Your guess is as good as anyone's in all honesty. We may have read the books but we haven't seen season five of the tv show. It's all to play for really.

Another point worth noting is that sometimes people die in the books and it ends up that they're not really dead at all :pac:

Theon being a prime example. In the books it was assumed he was dead after the Ironborn turned on him, then a good bit later there's a chapter named Reek* where we find out he's actually alive but a shadow of his former self.

*Chapters in the books are named according to who they follow. There could be a Tyrion chapter, followed by a Daenerys one then an Arya one. That's why this unknown character chapter was so surprising..

Advertisement