Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Horrific Footage of Homeless Schizophrenic beaten by cops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

yore wrote: »
    Coincidentally, I posted giving out about the gardai in another thread.

Anyway for people who think that this story would never happen in Ireland you are probably correct......Mainly because there probably wouldn't be any CCTV footage captured or it'd be destroyed

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1107/breaking38.html

Jesus I'd say she's just as strong if not stronger than most men:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Jesus I'd say she's just as strong if not stronger than most men:eek:

I think the most relevant part of that was the bit where the garda manning the CCTV saw what was happening and tried to turn the cameras away.

I think the most relevant part of that was the bit where the garda manning the CCTV saw what was happening and tried to turn the cameras away.

Oh yea definitely. Sorry just got distracted when I seen her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Oh yea definitely. Sorry just got distracted when I seen her!

Happens to the best of us when you see a stunner like that. Was she the one who was kicked out of Miss Ireland there recently when they discovered she was too old?

Happens to the best of us when you see a stunner like that. Was she the one who was kicked out of Miss Ireland there recently when they discovered she was too old?

Yes and all the threads giving out about Irish women. They obviously haven't seen a fine specimen like herself! In all seriousness though imagine looking like that and bein a scumbag who beats up civilians for no good reason. She's the complete package :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Thats absolutely shocking footage, US cops are absolute nutcases. There is no need for such violence the guy was harmless. I had to laugh when I heard one of the cops say relax. RELAX! after being bludgeoned by various trunchens and tazered to fcuk, how in the name of god can someone relax after that.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

As a training video? That has to be put on youtube? I've no great love for the scumbags who perpetrated the act but it's not as if no action has been taken. I'd be curious too if the paramedics in the case were culpable in any way.

me too. usually paramedics at the scene of a car crash for example are trained to 'ignore' the people making noise and concentrate on the quiet ones who are usually on conscious and need more urgent care.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Don't think I'll watch it. :-/

IM0 wrote: »
    me too. usually paramedics at the scene of a car crash for example are trained to 'ignore' the people making noise and concentrate on the quiet ones who are usually on conscious and need more urgent care.

Amazingly the paramedics stoppped to deal with the cops' scratches and bruises before they noticed the man lying on the ground bleeding to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Amazingly the paramedics stoppped to deal with the cops' scratches and bruises before they noticed the man lying on the ground bleeding to death.

They said the cops told them to.

• Advertisement

Yea that's what I'm saying I'd say the cops were trying to kinda hide what they'd done.

Don't think I'll watch it. :-/

I'm with you on that one.

Went against my better judgment, hopefully they'll be convicted and put in with the general population.

15 to life max for one and 4 years max for the other. Justice. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd say the paramedics didn't want to piss these particular cops off by saying no to their demands request.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Violent scene is shocking shock :eek:

How not to get beaten up by de coppers 101:

Do: comply with lawful directions.

Don't: tell them your sick of being told what to do and then run off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Bambi wrote: »
    Violent scene is shocking shock

How not to get beaten up by de coppers 101:

Do: comply with lawful directions.

Don't: tell them your sick of being told what to do and then run off

Police beat mentally ill man nearly to death, yeah that's a shocking shock alright.

How to not act like a fcuking nutcase 101:

Do: use reasonable force to pin him down.

Don't: Beat the shít out of him until he ends up on life support!

I hope they get whats coming to them in prison.

Police beat mentally ill man nearly to death, yeah that's a shocking shock alright.

How to not act like a fcuking nutcase 101:

Do: use reasonable force to pin him down.

Don't: Beat the shít out of him until he ends up on life support!

I hope they get whats coming to them in prison.

It would appear from the coroners report that they sat the **** out of him rather than just beat the **** out of him, slight difference

Do you understand the guidelines for use of reasonable force in the states?

Maybe buy this buke and then make informed comments:
    http://www.amazon.com/Force-Decisions-Understanding-Determine-Appropriate/dp/1594392439/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1336556138&sr=8-7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

This incident reinforces the logic employed by Rothbard that the state is a criminal organisation, indistinguishable from the structure and dealings of a Mafia gang;
    "... the State ... is a vast criminal organization far more formidable and successful than any "private" Mafia in history."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sickening stuff. There seems to be a large percentage of American cops that have serious anger issues.

ps, ziggy do you sleep at all? :D

smash wrote: »
    Sickening stuff. There seems to be a large percentage of American cops that have serious anger issues.

ps, ziggy do you sleep at all? :D

I take a few catnaps here and there:o:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

It would appear from the coroners report that they sat the **** out of him rather than just beat the **** out of him, slight difference

Maybe buy this buke and then make informed comments:
    http://www.amazon.com/Force-Decisions-Understanding-Determine-Appropriate/dp/1594392439/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1336556138&sr=8-7
    The same coroner said that the multiple facial fractures, fractured ribs, and extensive abrasions that left him "lying in a growing pool of blood" didn't help matters either. Google the pictures of the victim's face to give you an idea of what they did to this guy.

I really can't see how this constitutes reasonable force in any way. Police around the world have to deal with mildly uncooperative people all the time yet very few of them see fit to brutalise the detainees as these apes did.
    "Look at this face, it's getting ready to **** you up." Jesus ****ing Christ, man, talk about defending the indefensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Fcuking animals. They deserve life for this brutality.

Pace2008 wrote: »

I really can't see how this constitutes reasonable force in any way. Police around the world have to deal with mildly uncooperative people all the time yet very few of them see fit to brutalise the detainees as these apes did.
    "Look at this face, it's getting ready to **** you up." Jesus ****ing Christ, man, talk about defending the indefensible.
    He was mildly uncooperative? How does that differ from strongly uncooperative? Would half a dozen coppers efforts and multiple tazings be mildly uncooperative in your book?

What was it about the beating that outraged you? the smacking of the legs with a baton, them sitting on the guy? the use of a knee? the use of the tazer? the use of the torch to hit him somewhere? I don't know about you but I couldn't see s**t of what was actually going on in that pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Hopefully, it may generate enough public outrage,anger and revulsion to put pressure on the judge to hand down proper and adequate sentences in the event of conviction, than may have been handed down otherwise.... although I wouldn't hold my breath.
    No. Just no.

Do you really think it's a good idea that judges be influenced by the general public? Think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

He was mildly uncooperative? How does that differ from strongly uncooperative? Would half a dozen coppers efforts and multiple tazings be mildly uncooperative in your book?
    It seems he tried to escape and probably resisted arrest. With six officers on the scene I don't think the use of tazers was justified. There have been plenty of videos over the years showing that officers can be far too trigger-happy in their use of tazers. Certainly, there does not seem to be a good reason that he was beaten around the head till he sustained brain injury. Note that I'm not having a go at the US police force, or police officers in general. But in a huge country like the States with an extensive police force it is inevitable that a few thugs will gravitate towards the job. And make no mistake, these guys were absolute thugs. The images of the aftermath of the assault and a video of a man dying in agony are ample evidence of this.
    What was it about the beating that outraged you? the smacking of the legs with a baton, them sitting on the guy? the use of a knee? the use of the tazer? the use of the torch to hit him somewhere? I don't know about you but I couldn't see s**t of what was actually going on in that pile.
    An assault brutal enough to leave a mentally ill man lying in a pool of blood with multiple facial fractures, multiple fractured ribs and brain injuries, that's what has me outraged. You seem to be quite flippant about the whole thing, making out that he was given a few raps and sat on for a while, and that appropriate force was used. The reality that he was beaten to the extent that bones were broken and he was left unrecognisable. Google the images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

I don't know about you, but the pics of his face defnitely outrage me. "I can't breathe...I'm sorry..." Yes, it sounds like a violent struggle. They should be given medals of bravery for killing a down and out.

Mmm yes, because leaving a mentally ill man lying in a pool of his own blood with multiple facial fractures, fractured ribs, and extensive abrasions is mild force. What do you think of this, by the way?
    The officers not only beat Thomas beyond recognition and broke several of his ribs but also crushed his thorax—which basically made it impossible for him to breathe, and ultimately killed him.
    http://gawker.com/5842815/two-officers-charged-in-fatal-beating-of-mentally-ill-man

One policeman has been charged with using excessive force and manslaughter, another with second degree murder. Sounds like they don't understand the guidelines to me, or simply didn't care.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    It seems he tried to escape and probably resisted arrest. With six officers on the scene I don't think the use of tazers was justified.

Tazers were brought in so police could quantify exactly how much force they had used. You might not think a tazer was justified but you'll probably find the police depts use of force policy will specify the use of a tazer to deal with non compliance.

there does not seem to be a good reason that he was beaten around the head till he sustained brain injury.

You saw him being beaten around the head in that video? Fair Play so.

yeah his ribs were broken apparently, that will happen when five coppers sit on someone. I've seen the pictures of the guy, I've seen pictures of guys who looked in similar conditions after MMA bouts who went on their merry way. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Eire.

And? What is your point exactly? So do you not believe they were the cause of his death?

I don't know about you, but the pics of his face defnitely outrage me. "I can't breathe...I'm sorry..." Yes, it sounds like a violent struggle. They should be given medals of bravery for killing a down and out.

Mmm yes, because leaving a mentally ill man lying in a pool of his own blood with multiple facial fractures, fractured ribs, and extensive abrasions is mild force. What do you think of this, by the way?

http://gawker.com/5842815/two-officers-charged-in-fatal-beating-of-mentally-ill-man

One policeman has been charged with using excessive force and manslaughter, another with second degree murder. Sounds like they don't understand the guidelines to me, or simply didn't care.

You'll find the prosecution service will pursue the case one way or the other, regardless of whether the use of force is judged to be within departmental guidelines or not. That's how public outrage works. Same in the Diallo case in New York. The police involved were found to have acted within the use of force guidelines by their dept but they still wound up being prosecuted for murder (and acquitted), which was another shock-outrage-how-could-they moment :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

a 37-year-old schizophrenic homeless man from Fullerton,

Anyone else notice that his father is demanding justice but if he cared that much, why was his son homeless at all ?

Advertisement