Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

England announce 2 games against SA Barbarians this summer.

Frustrating. We should he playing midweek games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

ray jay wrote: »
    If that €5m figure is true, that means the salary cap in England is more than Munster's entire budget. So much for money holding them back!

Except the salaries of the centrally contracted guys like POC, Leamy, DOC, ROG, Earls don't come out of Munster's budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Whilst it's an interesting and well written article, I struggle to get on board with its argument. These guys are on brilliant money by a normal persons standard. That's not the superstars, that's the normal Pro12 players who, by Quinlan's admission, earn about €35k out of the academy at about 22 years of age and go on to earn €80k - €120k. A trainee accountant will earn about €20k out of college and spend 3 years on a training contract working serious hours for some perspective. Throughout this there's nothing to stop a player furthering themselves in terms of education or skills. Many players complete full degrees and postgraduate courses during their career. Some, like Tony Buckley, learn trades. A lucky few, like Quinlan, get careers in the game where he earns a third of what he was on before he retired which one would assume is around €50k to write and talk about rugby. Many do that for free. They then get a huge pay out at the end of their careers when their tax refund comes through. They're not set for life but they've a massive boost that others don't.

Can you imagine being a well paid professional who works hard for 10 years on an average of €80k and at the age of 32 getting your tax back? Harsh reality? There's nothing realistic about that for 99% of people, Quinnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Except the salaries of the centrally contracted guys like POC, Leamy, DOC, ROG, Earls don't come out of Munster's budget.

Dont the rfu pay the clubs extra money that supply internationals which would equate to central contracts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jm08 wrote: »
    Dont the rfu pay the clubs extra money that supply internationals which would equate to central contracts?

They do but it's not even a remotely comparable figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ray jay wrote: »
    If that €5m figure is true, that means the salary cap in England is more than Munster's entire budget. So much for money holding them back!

The English salary cap is £4m which is less then €5m and as already stated the centrally contracted players wages would then be paid by the IRFU and not the province

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

GerM wrote: »
    Whilst it's an interesting and well written article, I struggle to get on board with its argument. These guys are on brilliant money by a normal persons standard. That's not the superstars, that's the normal Pro12 players who, by Quinlan's admission, earn about €35k out of the academy at about 22 years of age and go on to earn €80k - €120k. A trainee accountant will earn about €20k out of college and spend 3 years on a training contract working serious hours for some perspective. Throughout this there's nothing to stop a player furthering themselves in terms of education or skills. Many players complete full degrees and postgraduate courses during their career. Some, like Tony Buckley, learn trades. A lucky few, like Quinlan, get careers in the game where he earns a third of what he was on before he retired which one would assume is around €50k to write and talk about rugby. Many do that for free. They then get a huge pay out at the end of their careers when their tax refund comes through. They're not set for life but they've a massive boost that others don't.

Can you imagine being a well paid professional who works hard for 10 years on an average of €80k and at the age of 32 getting your tax back? Harsh reality? There's nothing realistic about that for 99% of people, Quinnie.

How many trainee accountants need to follow strict diets, participate in gruelling physical training and basically endure a beating every few days?

Being a professional rugby player is a good life mostly. I think Quinnie is just saying 'Don't think we are like soccer players!'.

Also, from the article 'I’m not saying “Poor me” – not at all. Just trying to give you an idea of what happens.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

bamboozle wrote: »
    Gerry Thornley, Liam Toland and Matt Williams for me. no complaints with Quinlan though. Used like Bob Casey's articles.

Plus one on Quinlan so far . He still has plenty to write about but then I did think Caseys at the start were far better than towards the end. I'd like to see someting along the lines of the Secret Footballer so a current player giving some honest opinion but of course anonymously.

Matt Williams stuff is awful. It's often not about rugby (his uncle dying missing a plane) this week was random quotes and a copy of Quinlans re Sevens a few weeks back. He must watch rugby in his role with Setanta I wish he'd write about that. Also he seems to credit for anything good Leinster Ulster or Scotland ever do. Rant over re MW.

Yeah, but that's in addition to the salary cap for the English clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cb_

Love the way he refers to Ashley Young as 'some diving little brat'!

• Advertisement

cb_ wrote: »
    Love the way he refers to Ashley Young as 'some diving little brat'!

Can anyone remind me of any player diving when he was kicked up the ar$e by Fabian Pelous:eek:

Edit well hop around and then take a knee!!!!

Otacon wrote: »
    How many trainee accountants need to follow strict diets, participate in gruelling physical training and basically endure a beating every few days?

Being a professional rugby player is a good life mostly. I think Quinnie is just saying 'Don't think we are like soccer players!'.

Also, from the article 'I’m not saying “Poor me” – not at all. Just trying to give you an idea of what happens.'

The diet and training aren't as gruelling as you make out. Sessions are intense, short and sharp. They're finished by 12.30pm on a lot of days. Players are not forced to adhere to certain foods and can have a few beers within reason. Nobody is beaten up every few days. The players put their bodies on the line but not every game has that intensity. Nobody was beaten up for Leinster last weekend, for example. Players lead relatively normal lives.

I'd like to think that most people realise they're nowhere near the earning level of football players. Whilst the aim of the article is to let people know that rugby players aren't set up for the rest of their days, it does seem a little out of touch with reality for the vast majority of people, throwing around serious figures as if they're the norm and it neglects to mention that they get a massive lump sum when they retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Players are not forced to adhere to certain foods

Pretty sure their diet is fairly strictly controlled. Have seen many players comment on it. Of course there is leeway for the midweek takeaway and they can have a few beers but it's not as open as you make it out to be either.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Teferi wrote: »
    Pretty sure their diet is fairly strictly controlled. Have seen many players comment on it. Of course there is leeway for the midweek takeaway and they can have a few beers but it's not as open as you make it out to be either.

Not at all, the Leinster team can be seen daily eating in Nandos and Wagamama where they get a free meal everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Higher wrote: »
    Not at all, the Leinster team can be seen daily eating in Nandos and Wagamama where they get a free meal everyday.

Have a look here.

Note this line in particular
    they have prepared us a selection of the foods we're allowed to eat.

I've seen and heard a good few comments like this from players.

Of course the dietitians know that boys will be boys so muck will be taken into account.

You're mad if you think they can eat all the takeaway they want and still maintain the shape they are in or for it to not affect their game.

Teferi wrote: »

I'm not trying to make it sound open but if a player wants to have a few beers and a take away, they can have it. Obviously it can't be a regular occurrence but few people who play regularly to a decent standard, professional or amatuer, eats take-aways and drinks regularly. They've to ensure they get the right stuff into their bodies but they don't have to follow a tightly controlled diet. If they want a snack, they can have it. I've seen the players out for lunch enough times to know they've a certain amount of leeway. It's all within reason and they're given the responsibility of ensuring they eat the right things 90% of the time. I'm sure we've all seen the regular nods to Jo'burger, Crackbird, Juniors etc from the players.

That could get a bit boring eating chicken every day.

Keith Earl's diet and a typical day here:

http://www.independent.ie/health/diet-fitness/bodyclock-keith-earls-2848190.html

Seems to feature a lot of poached eggs, mackeral and chicken fillets.

Went to a talk last week by the Leinster Nutritionist Emma McCrudden. Interesting talk also presented by Bryan Cullen and Des Ryan.

What was interesting from her perspective was that she highlighted diet is the one area they had little control over players as most food consumption is done away from training. She highlighted that players need to be educated particularly when they come from the home environment to living in digs or houses. She spoke of bring academy and sub academy lads shopping and doing cooking lessons for them as well.

Anecdotely we’ve all heard of or seen players fall into a chipper with a load of pints on them late at night however I’d think this is the exception and not the norm in this day and age

Thats all very well and good but I am good friends with two current players at Leinster and I can say for a fact that they go to Wagamama nearly every day. 4 Leinster players have a gold card at Nandos which entitles them and 4 guests to a free meal every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Well......it depends on what they order then, doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

this thread is getting me hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

A mate was on holidays with Felix Jones last summer and he was constantly onto Munster asking about what he could and couldn't eat/drink. My mate said he had to keep a full food diary of *everything* he ate....even had to provide the exact number of Tiger beers and 'Thai Buckets'. Easy in theory, difficult enough in practice - I know the last time I drank buckets, I only remember the first few sips before the lights went out (granted I'm a massive lightweight).

He was fairly new to the Irish/Munster setup at the time, but it still seems quite regimented.

Thats all very well and good but I am good friends with two current players at Leinster and I can say for a fact that they go to Wagamama nearly every day. 4 Leinster players have a gold card at Nandos which entitles them and 4 guests to a free meal every day.

Wagamama would be very healthy - raw fish, stir frys etc.

The Nandos Gold Card probably comes from announcing on twitter that they are going there and there is no risk that they will be there every day for a meal with their dietary requirements.

I've seen tweets from players announcing that they've had a square of chocolate and are feeling guilty about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Sexton said in some interview somewhere that if he had pizza then he wasn't allowed pepperoni or something.

had to provide the exact number of Tiger beers and 'Thai Buckets'.
    it still seems quite regimented.

Does not compute.

To be fair - Nando's wouldn't be terribly calorific if you're eating a half chicken and some corn on the cob.

Does not compute.

Aye - apparently got a bollocking over said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Is this discussion about the fact that they are forced to eat healthy if they want to play rugby and how that should be reflected in their wages ?

If you have a job that requires you to be fit your gonna have to control your diet, doesnt look like its that strict to me outside of the "eat healthy, get plenty of protein" side which anyone who wants to be fit will do anyway. So they aint really sacrificing anything as such.

MungBean wrote: »
    Is this discussion about the fact that they are forced to eat healthy if they want to play rugby and how that should be reflected in their wages ?

Apparently. Makes me yearn for the more sensible discussion about why Leinster players have better looking WAGs than the Munster guys.

• Advertisement

Wagamama would be very healthy - raw fish, stir frys etc.

The Nandos Gold Card probably comes from announcing on twitter that they are going there and there is no risk that they will be there every day for a meal with their dietary requirements.

I've seen tweets from players announcing that they've had a square of chocolate and are feeling guilty about it.

Wrong. Only a couple of people in Ireland actually have a nandos gold card. These people are Brian O'Driscoll, Rob Kearney, Gordon D'arcy, Luke Fitzgerald and Jamie Heaslip. Fitzgerald, Kearney and Heaslip would bring a group of players with them most days.

Wagamama is free for all Leinster players, including those in the academy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement