Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

crazygeryy wrote: »
    is there an app that will read a ebook,mobi,epub to you.eg you load the mobi file into it and it reads it out so you can listen to it?

Not an exact match but Audible sells audio books. Might be of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

RangeR wrote: »
    Not an exact match but Audible sells audio books. Might be of interest.

yea ive gotten one or two there but i have a load of book files epub mobi etc.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyersoft.moonreader

This can do it but the quality isn't great.
    Silly like things like mixing up read and read. Can be difficult to get your head around.
    Or any other e-reader with Text To Speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It cannot find my devices. I even tried to make it call my mobile phone but to no avail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

It cannot find my devices. I even tried to make it call my mobile phone but to no avail.

Found my nexus 7, not my phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Not working for me, keeps saying device not found

• For those that can't find your device, is your GPS on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

juke wrote: »
    Found my nexus 7, not my phone

Had to turn the location services on my phone and nexus 7 for it to work.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

crazygeryy wrote: »
    is there an app that will read a ebook,mobi,epub to you.eg you load the mobi file into it and it reads it out so you can listen to it?
    If you're looking for something that will read any text to you in a natural way you'll be waiting a few years, its horrible listening to a machine voice.

• Advertisement

• corkie wrote: »
    The other way round for me found my phone, but doesn't know about my nexus 7. Had to turn the location services on my phone for it to work. It rang my phone.

Good point actually. For those without internet, see if ticking these boxes help, especially the last one.

yx9N5Gf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Sweet, found my phone (Galaxy Nexus) and tablet (Nexus 7) pretty much instantly and making the devices ring works perfectly. Only thing that doesn't seem to be working is the option to erase or lock the device even though I've enabled it via the app on my phone itself.

Not sure if has been mentioned but I picked up rymdkapsel1 last night and it is one of the most absorbing strategy games I've played on Android.

Sorry but this is so boring, what is the point in it? Its one of the most tedious games Ive ever played I think, at least Im just burning the 3.ie credit that never gets used on my 3G sim, Id be pissed if Id spent €3 of my own money on it.

Rings my phone fine but cant find the phone which is strange seeing as if I open maps the icon instantly centres over wherever I am even though I never have GPS on.

EDIT: Pressed the refresh button there, not the browser refresh the one next to the device name and it found it instantly...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

In my phone ( HTC desire s ) I had to go into Google settings and into maps and locations and activate it there . I came back out of there back to the main screen and now when I go into Google settings android device manager is there .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

Good to see Google finally implementing this but if the device is off it's kinda useless, no!?

Also what if someone wipes the devices? Does it use hardware Mac address that cannot be changed I wonder??

Cheers,
    M

No option to turn on the GPS remotely either makes the whole thing a bit pointless aswell, this is pretty much just a handy "Ring my Phone" app and you should still have a proper anti-theft app on the device.

• You should always have your GPS on. There is some myth about it eating up battery in the background, but the truth is the GPS is only used when you open up an app that needs it, e.g. Maps.

I know that's technically true but there will be some scumbag apps on the phone using it in the background just because of the stupid way the developers set up the permissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hmmm only my nexus 4 us showing up not to nexus 7...
    Just me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

god's toy wrote: »
    Hmmm only my nexus 4 us showing up not to nexus 7...
    Just me?

Make sure you have location services turn on! Then use a google service on the device (i.e. google search when you swipe up). It should then see the device.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

corkie wrote: »
    Make sure you have location services turn on! Then use a google service on the device (i.e. google search when you swipe up). It should then see the device.

Thanks,

Yep they are on the Nexus 7 but it still doesn't show up.
    Maybe a bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Thanks. Working for me. Good step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You should always have your GPS on. There is some myth about it eating up battery in the background, but the truth is the GPS is only used when you open up an app that needs it, e.g. Maps.

I find from using wakelock detector that maps is being constantly accessed on my phone even though I never use any app that requires it. Take today and yesterday for example, Maps was accessed 285 times for 23s each time! I have hardly been even using the phone. I definitely find my battery takes a hit using gps.

Incidentally f you lose your phone and have an app like cerberus, you can remotely turn on GPS via text command.

• I find from using wakelock detector that maps is being constantly accessed on my phone even though I never use any app that requires it. Take today and yesterday for example, Maps was accessed 285 times for 23s each time! I have hardly been even using the phone. I definitely find my battery takes a hit using gps.

Incidentally f you lose your phone and have an app like cerberus, you can remotely turn on GPS via text command.

Oh yeah Maps is definitely getting worse with that lately, I have it Greenified. But you'll notice that if you turn on GPS that the amount of extra battery you lose with each of these wakelocks is negligible or even zero compared to with it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Oh yeah Maps is definitely getting worse with that lately, I have it Greenified. But you'll notice that if you turn on GPS that the amount of extra battery you lose with each of these wakelocks is negligible or even zero compared to with it off.

Does Greenify work to stop maps being constantly accessed ?I read up and it looked like quite a bit of hassle went into ensuring that it stayed hibernated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Not sure if has been mentioned but I picked up rymdkapsel1 last night and it is one of the most absorbing strategy games I've played on Android.

Just played till my battery died! So simple, but so addictive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

I find from using wakelock detector that maps is being constantly accessed on my phone even though I never use any app that requires it. Take today and yesterday for example, Maps was accessed 285 times for 23s each time! I have hardly been even using the phone. I definitely find my battery takes a hit using gps.

What if someone puts a different SIM in, will Cerberus still work??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

madmoe wrote: »
    What if someone puts a different SIM in, will Cerberus still work??

Supposedly yes, because I've never tested it. And apparently it records any numbers dialed etc by new sim and sends them to you.

• Advertisement

See they have turned on remotely erase device now (after a permission change is sent to your phone) or was that always live? (know it was there before but I'm only able to use it now)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement