Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

donedeal at it again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

their policy has nothing against the term "lurcher" just references to hunting, lamping, good workers etc, yet when I search lurcher I get no results, I wonder if I posted an ad like this

lurcher pups 3/4greyhound 1/4 whippet, 2dogs 3bitches, €150

would it be removed.

i dont know what your doing wrong but there is loads of lurchers for sale on donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

smokin ace wrote: »
    i dont know what your doing wrong but there is loads of lurchers for sale on donedeal

your right, my mistake, I must have searched a sub section of the dog section earlier as I only got one page of results and all old ads, ah well thats a good thing anyway;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

You would sell it quicker on buyandsell but it's the way you word it. Just stick up the add with the price and text for info. They can't do u for that??
    I see ads with springers "working" ???
    Terriers also with "giving Tongue" "working well"
    Labs Working well , good in rough cover ?

But as it was stated it's a private site, so it's theirs rules:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

dicky82 wrote: »
    ok, this is a perfect oppertunity for someone who is computer savy to set up a web site that is solely for the sale of goods that are related to outdoor persutes.
    *cough*adverts.ie*cough*
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Sparks wrote: »
    *cough*adverts.ie*cough*
    :D

can you sell firearms there?? I thought just the for sale section here.

• Advertisement

Dusty87 wrote: »
    can you sell firearms there?? I thought just the for sale section here.
    No, firearms pretty much have to go into the ForSale section here (and working dogs too) - but scopes, things like that, yeah, adverts is fine. At some point in the future, that might change (adverts.ie has had a massive overhaul recently, if we could move all the commercial stuff out to there, that'd be tidier), but for now, that's what we have to do.
    Still though, at the risk of being biased, it's not a horrible solution. It might even be more fit for purpose than donedeal is for our specific case.

Might be a simple answer, but why cant they be advertised on adverts? Is it a policy too? And why? Or is it got to do with the for sale section here?

It's the outcome of a policy - one we also have in here as rule 8. Can't go selling illegal stuff. Thing is, the mods in here know a little bit more about firearms legislation than those in adverts, and you know how ridiculously complex firearms legislation is in Ireland. So we keep the firearms stuff in here so that the mods who know the most about it are the ones watching it (not that we're experts, but I don't think there are more than two dozen people in the country who know all of the firearms legislation and we have at least three of them posting on here and about five more reading and pinging us if we miss stuff). Hell, in a few cases, nobody has known (and we've gone asking right the way to the top and not gotten clear answers - we'd have needed court cases to get clearer answers). The mods on adverts.ie are good guys, but they just don't have the domain knowledge to work with to do the job.

And yeah, we've had a few cases where that hasn't been theoretical.

All of which, by the way, is probably why donedeal don't do our stuff.

Sparks wrote: »
    All of which, by the way, is probably why donedeal don't do our stuff.

yea, was thinking that, and thats fair enough in fairness. But the dog thing is taking the biscuit as its been pointed out by lads here to them a few times. Which brings up the horse thing again. Why hunting dogs and not hunting horses. Going in circles again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I have my own policy on Donedeal. Since they have a policy on one of my past times it's only fair. I don't use them when I can use somewhere else for my benefit.

I say when, and my benefit, as after thinking on it after the lamp thread I decided that not using DD completely was cutting my nose off to spite my face. (Saying that, I haven't ever used them but may do for something like second hand quad).

So I would say, use where is appropriate for your goods and when you can, don't use DD, and don't recommend them.

Sites/papers come and go. Wasn't long ago when Buy & Sell was the bees knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭dermot218

john prior oldcastle co meath a great solicitor hed be the man to talk to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's seems to be a fairly arbitrary delineation between what they find inappropriate and what they find acceptable. Granted, many people find hunting (with dogs and gun) distasteful, and personally, I don't partake, but that's my peroggative. I would defend the right of others to do so. As long as nobody lamps around my house (where dogs, cats, horses, people etc. all wander at night), I don't much care as long as the relavent laws are abided by. I grew up in the country and it's always been a part of life. But then when does that stop townies and the nouveau culchí from know better what the yokels should occupy themselves with?
    Why, however, the good folk at Done Deal find chasing down foxes and hares with a pack of hounds and dozens of garishly dressed riders on large horses acceptable, is beyond me.
    It's not the action of the uninformed either. A casual urbanite with no interest, one way or the other, is unlikely to know many breeds and what their "work" may be. A lurcher is not a particularly high profile breed.
    Hunting, as discussed here, is not illegal. Having a "policy" is all well and good, but allowing references to foxhunting and not shooting shows it to be a discriminatory policy. Either justify the discrimination, or ban all mention of hunting or alternatively, allow all mention.
    It's really probably not worth the bother persuing it though. Shame, as it irks. Joe Duffy would probably not be the forum to bring it up.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

would be nice to see adverts.ie making a shooting/hunting for sale/wanted section

It'd be a lot neater. For the moment though, that's what our For Sale section here is for (and presumably a lot of what's in there now in terms of ethos and rules would make it across any future transition - but we're not talking weeks here, we're talking long-term).

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

DoneDeal Help » Press Room » Our Story
    Our Story

DoneDeal is run by husband and wife team Geraldine and Fred Karlsson from Wexford town. Wexford is Geraldine’s home town while Fred is originally from Sweden.

Nowadays we are a team of eight people who work with DoneDeal, and we are still based in Wexford town.

Fred was a finalist in the Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2010. You can see the video from the DoneDeal office on the eoy.tv website.
    The idea behind DoneDeal

The idea for DoneDeal came up when Geraldine and Fred moved back to Ireland in 2004 after living in Sweden for a couple of years.

We were looking to buy some second hand furniture for our new house. Unfortunately we could not find any good Irish websites with high quality classified ads. We found the existing sites and papers for classifieds to be a lot of hassle, mainly because there were no photos, and what was being sold was described in only a few words.

So the idea for DoneDeal was born. We wanted to create a site where the classified ads had photos and long descriptions of the goods. The site must also be easy to use, so that everyone can use it.

You can read more about our history in our case study.
    Help us get better

Hopefully you find DoneDeal helpful and easy to use. Our main goal with the site is to take the hassle out of buying and selling second hand goods.

Please let us know if you have any ideas on how we can improve the site or our service. Many of our customers have given us positive feedback since the launch in June 2005. We have also received much appreciated ideas for improvements. These user comments have been invaluable in getting DoneDeal to where it is today.

Read more about us on our blog and our Facebook page.

Kind Regards,
    Geraldine & Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

this is their policy on the sale of dogs as you can see they restrict the selling of dogs that are used to kill or hunt other animals
    take it anyway you want it means there policing themselves as is their right but i think that we as a shooting community should make everyone who shoots know that we should not buy or sell on this site
    john

Dog Policy
    Policy on Puppy Farming

We do not tolerate puppy farms on our web site.

We love dogs in all shapes and sizes and would hate to think that puppy farmers use our web site in their despicable dealings.

We reserve the right to monitor ads on DoneDeal.ie and we reserve the right to report suspected puppy farms/farmers to the Gardai, PSNI, the ISPCA and/or any other authority or organisation that we feel is appropriate. If ads are posted on DoneDeal.ie in breach of this policy we reserve the right to remove them from the Website without giving notice to the advertiser or refunding any fee paid.

We retain the right to make judgment as to whether an advertiser or user of the Website is a puppy farmer.

Please help us keep our site free from puppy farmers, your help is much appreciated.
    What You Should Do

If you find any ads that you suspect are from puppy farmers, please contact the local SPCA immediately.

Tell the inspector where you found the ad, we help the SPCA with information about ads, breeds, contact details, and any other information that helps the investigation.

Please let us know if you have any other ideas how we can make life more difficult for puppy farmers.
    What We Do

We monitor all dog ads. Any person who advertises too many breeds or too often is permanently banned from using DoneDeal again.
    We let rescue centres re-home animals through our web site for free. This has helped SPCAs find new homes for a large number of dogs, cats, and other animals. If you work with an SPCA club, please contact us for information about how you can re-home animals for free through DoneDeal.
    We have a number of rules that go beyond Irish law. For example, we don’t allow ads that mention or imply that dogs should kill other animals, we don’t allow ads that mention Christmas, and we don’t allow ads for shipping animals.
    We help the ISPCA and Gardai with information about ads, breeds, contact details, and anything else that helps the them investigate an ad or breeder on DoneDeal.
    We give 50% of our revenues from the dog section to projects for education and legislation through PetAware.ie.
    We lobby for more effective legislation to stop puppy farmers in Ireland.
    We educate our visitors how to buy a pet and how to avoid puppy farms.

Stop Dog Fights

In Ireland, “Pit Bulls” are the breed of choice for dog fights, due to their strength, courage and dog-aggressive tendencies. Although dog fighting is illegal in Ireland (Cruelty to Animals Act 1911), it is still practiced, and is usually accompanied by gambling.

Pit Bulls that are used in fights are often brutalized and abused to make them “mean”, and may be terribly maimed or killed during the fight.

We at DoneDeal.ie grew up with dogs as close and loving family members, and we believe that dogs make a lovely addition and company to any family. Therefore we would hate to think that DoneDeal.ie is used by people involved with dog fights.

We appeal to members of the public with any information about dog fighting activities to please contact the Gardai.
    The Pit Bull

Dog fighters are the minority among pit bull owners. Some people who own these breeds direct their dogs’ plentiful energy toward nonviolent athletic tasks. Some people train their pit bulls for dog agility. Others involve their pit bulls in weight pulling competitions or obedience competitions. The pit bull often excels at these sports.

Pit bulls have gained a fearsome reputation among the general public due to negative media attention, but those familiar with the breed generally attest to its friendly disposition, especially toward children and small animals, earning it the nickname “the nanny dog”.
    Pit Bulls or Related Breeds are not Allowed on DoneDeal.ie

After discussing the problem with dog fights in Ireland with the ISPCA and IKC we have decided not to allow Pit Bulls, Bull Terriers and related breeds to be advertised on DoneDeal.ie.
    Staffordshires

Some breeds may be visually similar to the Pit Bull, for example the Staffordshires. As these breed names are sometimes used by unscrupulous dealers to advertise Pit Bulls we have decided not to allow these breeds on DoneDeal at the moment.
    Avoid Confusion – Use Photos

Some unscrupulous breeders have used other related breed names (e.g. American Bulldog, Terriers, etc) to advertise Pit Bulls. Due to this problem we require that any ad that can be misunderstood for a Pit Bull must include a photo of the dog, showing clearly that it is not a Pit Bull being advertised.

If you are advertising pups, make sure to include at least the bitch in the photo, to avoid confusion.
    Other Policies
    No “Christmas Pets”

Pets are for life, not only for Christmas. Therefore ads must not contain any references that encourage people to buy a pet specifically for Christmas.
    No Shipping

It is important to see a puppy’s parents and the breeder’s facilities before buying a pet. Therefore we do not accept any ads that involve shipping animals.
    No Killing Prey

We do not like the idea of dogs killing prey (e.g. foxes, badgers, deer, etc), as it can be a cruel experience for the prey, or the dog, or both. Therefore we do not accept ads that imply that the dog could/should be used for such activity. Also, we do not accept ads that mention or imply ‘digging’ or ‘lamping’.

Follow ISPCA Recommendations

The ad must follow the recommendations from the ISPCA.
    Thank You for Your Support

We hope our users appreciate that we are doing this in the interest of the dogs.

We have these rules to prevent the small number people who abuse dogs from advertising on DoneDeal.ie. Unfortunately this means that genuine dog owners cannot advertise their pets either.
    Status of this Policy

This policy forms part of our Agreement with you concerning use of our Website http://help.donedeal.ie/info/legal, all of which you should read carefully before you start to use this Website. By accessing and using this Website, you indicate that you have read, understand and accept that Agreement, and that you agree to abide by its terms and conditions each time you access and use this Website. If you do not agree to all of the terms and conditions of the Agreement you should not use this Website.

We have these rules to prevent the small number people who abuse dogs from advertising on DoneDeal.ie.

So advertising lurchers or any dogs that do what they were originally bred for (Legally) is dog abuse now???
    this springs to mind....
    politician.jpg

syconerd wrote: »
    We monitor all dog ads. Any person who advertises too many breeds or too often is permanently banned from using DoneDeal again.

So your banned if you buy and sell dogs? What happens with a person who owns a lab,pointer,springer and terrier bitch who has pups every year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

syconerd wrote: »
    We do not like the idea of dogs killing prey (e.g. foxes, badgers, deer, etc), as it can be a cruel experience for the prey, or the dog, or both. Therefore we do not accept ads that imply that the dog could/should be used for such activity. Also, we do not accept ads that mention or imply ‘digging’ or ‘lamping’.

that settle's it for me so, they're anti's, nothing to do with the law just what they in this case "don't like" legal or illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2089855

Check out this link they are antis and racists!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

beanie10 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2089855

Check out this link they are antis and racists!!!!!

Nothing there

It was a Ford C_MAX for sale with no foreigners, timewasters or texts

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

smokin ace wrote: »
    i dont think donedeal realise how hunting is a way of life for many people also it keeps a lot of the young lads around the country out of trouble there is 5 or 6 good young lads in my area that spending there day or night hunting and that keeps them young lads from drinking taking drugs and getting up to no good and thats only a good thing as there is nothing for young people to do i many parts for this country if they are hunting there are being frowned upon and told its not right if they are drinking they will be know as trouble makers if they are sitting around the house doing nothing they are called lazy lumps so i dont know where it will stop

Must say i have to totally agree with this! As i fall into this category of people. 19 and like to go out shooting with the gun, dont drink or smoke or drugs or nothing and yet your given a bad name from people who think your irresponsible and just have it to shoot signs or cause damage to someones property!:mad: There is always some people in all walks of life who push there luck

whiteley91 wrote: »
    Must say i have to totally agree with this! As i fall into this category of people. 19 and like to go out shooting with the gun, dont drink or smoke or drugs or nothing and yet your given a bad name from people who think your irresponsible and just have it to shoot signs or cause damage to someones property!:mad: There is always some people in all walks of life who push there luck

Same situation as me but I'm 18. It's weird how bad a name hunters have as it's the minority that are a bit immature and irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fox shooter

i had the same problem with done deal about 6 weeks ago. i had a irish setter for sale but my ad was never put up so i sent a email asking why and got reply saying i used working in my ad. but when i was finished 5 emails later my ad was put up. i was told that animal rights groups had met with the ceo and requested that all animal sections be removed. they came to some understanding as to what could be sold. i think an anti is very high up in done deal. if anyone wants to see the emails that i sent and got pm me your email and i ll gladly send on.

sorry to see donedeal caving to the antis. Someone should make a website just for working dogs Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sheenaaziz

Ireland is europes number one puppy farm operator. Most of these puppy farms advertise on done deal. If adverts are getting removed that is a good thing - it means somebody cares. The appauling conditions animals are bred in here in this country is disgusting and people need to wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhcossie

just ppl that are against the sport complaining.i think its the same case with guns on donedeal you see an odd 1 for sale and its gone in no time off the site saw this with a few

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement