Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I've been avoiding this....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

4 mile in 39 mins- took a nose dive half way round landed half on the dog, frightened the crap out of him and me- surface scratches only though thankfully!

24 Dec 3 miles at 11 min miles- took it very slow as I felt my legs very sore after my fall! Very heavy legs for the first mile then they loosened out, thankfully it was one of those runs that gets rid of sore legs rather than make it worse!
    This morning went to a local goal mile- never got a time I think they forgot after the first three came in! - bit gutted because I don't have a mile time went home and the dog spotted me in running gear so I brought him out for 6 miles Took it handy done them in 1.03

4 miles 39 mins, nice run I didn't feel yesterdays 7 miles in my legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

madon wrote: »
    4 mile in 39 mins- took a nose dive half way round landed half on the dog, frightened the crap out of him and me- surface scratches only though thankfully!

Ouch! How'd that happen?

littlebug wrote: »
    Ouch! How'd that happen?

I don't think I was fully over the stomach bug, I went down pretty hard didn't really have time to even get my hands out, luckily the poor dog broke my fall I probably should have done more damage than I did.
    Worse was I accidently stood on his paw at the exact same place on yesterdays run- he was acting a bit odd when we approached that part of the road tonight he kept trying to turn around, I think he was glad when he got past without injury!

• Advertisement

I thought I'd be lucky to just get out for the one run this week and I got three runs in:D 4 miles tonight in 38.49. Thats all I'll get this week for the rest of it myself and the OH will pass like ships in the night! So next Monday I'll resume half marathon programme.

4 miles 38.43 mins- resuming half marathon training- Day 1 of week 5 of Hal Higdons, plus my first 4 miles of the new year! Determined to become a runner this year not a happy to finisher!

3.5 miles: With 7*250 at 8 pace and the bits inbetween at between 10 and at one stage I fought into the wind at 12 minute mile pace! I must be mad:D

8 miles- didn't want to go out but loved it when I did- struggled to keep the pace down for the first 3 miles but then I settled around 10 min mile pace- stopped a few times for toilet breaks (not me). Done in 1.18.20 so happy with that

3.5 in 34.36. Legs felt heavy and never loosened. I'd love to blame the 8 miles yesterday but I think it had more to do with last nights corona(s).

• Advertisement

8*250's first four in 7.30 second lot in 8.00 min mile. Covered 3.5 mile in total a lot of my 'jog backs' I was been followed by 3 year old trying to race me! Made my most hated work out a little more fun.
    I'm skipping Week 6 of halhigdon half marathon and moved on to week 7, I'm going to do week 6 in two weeks when I have a 10k lined up.

9 miles- 1.32.33.
    I ran the first 4.5 miles in 47 mins- usually I run the first half too fast.
    I brought jelly snakes with me because the 8 mile sapped me so I wanted to see would it make a difference. I ate the first at just under 7 miles I was planning more because I was crossing rocks so had to slow way down. Discovered and can eat and run (ish) and breathe at the same time! So shoved in another- jellies are my weakness!
    I don't know if it was psychological or because I took the first half so handy but I had loads left in me when it came to 8 miles and was able to pick the pace up running the last mile at 9.30.

4.5 miles 44.35-
    Nice run didn't really feel yesterdays run in my legs,
    I finally started wearing the new runners I bought a month ago- I felt like I bounced the 4.5 miles!

Just to keep account here too
    Miles this year: 36

4 miles in 37.13.
    Miles this year: 40

Week 8 Hal higdon intermediate half marathon (I skipped week 6)
    5 miles in 46 mins.
    Miles this year 45

4.5 in 44.10. I struggled to run it. Will be glad of my rest day tomorrow, I don't know if I found todays run so hard because I'm finding the training tougher or if it was because I struggled to wake up today!
    Miles this year 49.5 (I should have ran that extra .5!)

3 Miles in 30 mins. Was supposed to be a 40 min tempo but I had to cut it short. I brought the pace up to 8.40 and held it for about 3 mins- a bit slower pace than the peak of the other tempos I've done but I held it for a bit longer and was comfortable to do so.
    Miles this year 52.5

10 miles in 1.39.43. ENjoyed this again took it easy for the first half, didn't die coming to the last two mile sand was even able to pick the pace up to 9.3 for half a mile. Dog loved it too especially the banana he got at the end of it!
    Miles this year 62.5

4 miles/38.52, found legs slightly heavy after yesterdays run but not sore.
    MIles this year 66.5

• Advertisement

I never said yesterday I'm finaly doing week 6. Today was 40 minute tempo. I felt stiff getting out of bed this morning, it looked damp and miserable outside and I knew I'd never get out if I didn't just get my gear on now, drop the kids to school and go. I didn't fancy the road today I've had enough hills the last two days so went to the beach. I was stiff for the first mile or so and when I loosened up I felt I could do another 10 miles. I peaked at around 8.40 and the same as the last day for about 3 minutes.
    Covered 4.30 miles altogether.
    Miles this year 70.8

Slow easy 3 miles in 31 mins- nice leg loosener!
    Miles this year 73.8

10k race today- Kilbride 10k in Roscommon
    It was a lovely run a few uphills, some steep enough but the downhills matched! Very well organised, the walkers went after the runners and it made the start flow so much better, lovely atmosphere at it, well done to the organisers.
    The last 10km I done was in August and I done it in 57 plus minutes, I was hoping for 55 (well 54.59:D) minutes, I even wrote on my hand that I had to hit 3 miles at 26.32, 5 miles at 44.14 etc to achieve this:D
    So I reached the 5k point looked at my watch- 24.52, and I felt fine! Few hills after 7k hit me hard and just as I got my second wind I met a down hill that looked like the road just fell down the side of a cliff which was harder to manage than the uphills, last km was also an uphill drag I ended up running the last 2km at around 8.50 min mile, I still managed to break into a little sprint at the end and when the man called my time at "53 minutes on the button" I could have bear hugged him!
    I'm flippin delighted- with my time and how I felt during the race and after, even my Dad (my cheerleader!!) said "you didn't have a big red sweaty face like you usually do at the end of a race"
    Even better was I stopped my garmin at the end and it read the distance 6.26 and my time as 52.51- the dog ran with me today and he crossed the line about 2 seconds faster!
    So this is the boaster that I needed for the half, I put this time in McMillian calculator and its giving me a time of 1.57.36 for the half- I was planning on 2.07 (10 mins quicker than Dublin) I don't think I'll get in under 2 hours- but I think I'll be aiming for under 2.05 after todays confidence booster!

Oh!
    Miles this year 80.06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

wowee that's fantastic Madon! Really well done!
    Sub 2 HM for you! :D

I'm still chuffed with myself- its just nice to know that the training is paying off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Don't give up on the sub-2 half just yet. The Bohermeen course is fairly flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

well done Madon, that's a great PB,
    i was just reading your log and you have made great progress.. sub 2 definitely in your reach..just think positive!!:D

Thanks, I think it could be one of those things thats decided on the day of the race- I'm still at the newbie runner point that i'm breaking PB's every time I race and I don't want to get too cocky thinking that it will always be that way. I know I should take a lot of my last HM time I had it in my head that 10 mins (2.07) would be a good aim- and if all went well on the day I could possibly go below 2.05. Now I know that really I should be able to run 2.05 and if all goes well on the day I could possibly go below 2hours. I don't know if i'm ready to think that below 2 hours should be my main aim- I don't know if any of that makes a bit of sense to anyone but me:D

Week 9 of HH Hm plan I should have a 15k race at the end of this week but there is none so I'll jiggle things a little. So todays plan was to do 9*400 metre but my legs were still a little stiff and I knew I wouldn't be putting everything into it and these are my most hated training sessions but the ones that I know benefits me an awful lot! So I went for 5 mile run- legs stiff for the first mile or so and then they felt fine thankfully! Ended up going 5.7 in 57 mins.
    I'm going to finish this plan a week before the HM and I don't know whether I should repeat a week now or at the end? Any suggestions:D
    Miles this year 85.76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi,
    my first half was 2.03 and the second one i was aiming for 2hr but managed 1.57...having said that my pb for 10k to date is 54.00 and that was May 2010...my last attempt at 10k was in July and was 56.37 so definitely aim for your sub 2hr and on the day that atmosphere will help you to push on if you have any more in the legs. you already are making great progress.

regarding the half plan, i'd be more incline to repeat a week now as the week before the half would be a taper so you are cutting down your mileage and you don't want to do that, but thats just what i would do...someone in the know might be a bit better to give you advice

Advertisement