Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Remove scratches from glass

• 17-11-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Hi guys ive a few light scratches on the windscreen and side window of my E60.
    whats the easiest way to sort these out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Get a detailer to machine polish them out: there are special polishes and pads needed for polishing machines to deal with glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Any recommendations for someone in the Midlands.
    Portlaoise area if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Nearest to you would be Brian in Spirit Detailing (Leixlip) or if you are the far side of Portlaoise, Michael at Mr. Detail is in Cashel

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

Curran wrote: »
    Nearest to you would be Brian in Spirit Detailing (Leixlip) or if you are the far side of Portlaoise, Michael at Mr. Detail is in Cashel

Cheers Curran.

Just seen this and I spoke to you the other day.

In my experience the procedures out there are for very minor marks. Anything significant and you cant really make a dent in them (unless some new technology is about I have missed).

Car pro do a pad specific for glass right but it's not something I really do as I just feel in many cases the results on any major scratch wouldn't be worth it.

It's one thing I hate saying but if replacement glass can be gotten cheaply that's what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

When I got my e92, the windscreen was destroyed with scratches. It was a nightmare when the sun was shining directly in. I got 95% of the damage out but it was fairly time consuming.

It's harder to get scratches out of side windows as they aren't laminated like windscreens.

Do you have any photos of the damage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

The ones on a windscreen that you mainly notice in the sun are possible to remove but anything significant is very difficult.

Anyway for a windscreen ain't it easier to get a new one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I spent some time on my windscreen earlier this year with a glass pad and cerium oxide compound. The main problem I had was all the fine scratches left by the windscreen wipers and it got nearly all of them out. The only ones left were the deeper ones along where the wiper changed direction. It's quite a bit of work though, I think I spent about 2.5 hours on the front and about an hour on the back.

Indeed it is easier to get a new screen :D

The reason I didn't get a new one was because of the rain sensor. It had been said that if the gel isn't replaced and not replaced properly, the sensor is fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Indeed it is easier to get a new screen :D

The reason I didn't get a new one was because of the rain sensor. It had been said that if the gel isn't replaced and not replaced properly, the sensor is fecked.

you wouldnt trust autogalss to do it with correct oem screen no? I've a few marks on my f10 screen and would love to just get them to replace it under insurance but just worried about what can of worms I'd be opening...

you wouldnt trust autogalss to do it with correct oem screen no? I've a few marks on my f10 screen and would love to just get them to replace it under insurance but just worried about what can of worms I'd be opening...

I don't know who to trust! I'm very particular about my car and who does work on it. Also a lot of companies don't let you use OEM/dealer glass, just what they have in stock AFAIK. The ones they use often aren't exactly the same and you can get rattles and creaks from them.

IMO you wouldn't be opening any can of worms by just saying that it's dangerous to drive with the scratches on the windscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

you can get rattles and creaks from them.

how?

how?

Dunno how it happens but I got my screen replaced on the RX8 and there was a creaking noise coming from the top right hand corner while driving. When you pressed against it it went away. Fierce annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

My front windscreen has a good few scratches on it and the side window two about 3 or 4 vertical on each. I recon it was from the previous owner rubbing it with a ring on there hand or something like that. It bothered me a bit at the start but not anymore and they don't really obstruct vision or anything. Again I have an original windscreen and won't be changing it. As you always end up getting a sh!t replacement that breaks ten times easier. In fairness the best windscreen a car will ever have is the one from the factory as that's OE glass and fits perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Darraghmh91.

Not sure if it's hell the scratches but try AG glass polish on it

AG glass polish, definitely wont help....other than giving very clean glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Where could I get a pad and polish to remove scratches from a windscreen? I have a DA polisher..

The UK is probably the only place at the moment - though I do know of somewhere hoping to have the pads and polish early next year, within the Car Pro range! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I was thinking of getting something like this repair kit for a stone chip. http://www.tmart.com/tmart-deals/Windshield-Windscreen-Car-Glass-Scratch-Repair-Tool-Kit_p272304.html

Has anyone used one before?

Advertisement