Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving house to poland

• 19-05-2013 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

So at a turning point in our lives. We have been left a house and some land in south eastern Poland where my wife is from. So anyone with experience with moving household belongings to Poland. We can sell a lot of stuff, but we still have a large amount of furnishings.
    Speed is not important, so shipping via the sea could be an option.

My polish is very small, haven't even thought about working etc there yet. But one thing at a time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

When are you planning on moving and in terms of cubic meters etc, would you have any idea how much you would have to move? Would it all fit in a regular transit van or would you be needed a larger truck? Where would it be to and from in Ireland and Poland?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

See this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84674699

There is a number of small courier companies, who can look after moving stuff.
    Get your wife to talk to some of them - you can get insurance as well for all items.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Ok, thanks guys. Yes have a lot of stuff, kids beds, desks, furniture etc. Some stuff can be sold I suppose. We are in mayo, would be moving to malapolski (between Krakow and zakapone).

Any time frame on the move yet? :) You don't think it could all fit in a transit?

snaps wrote: »
    Ok, thanks guys. Yes have a lot of stuff, kids beds, desks, furniture etc. Some stuff can be sold I suppose. We are in mayo, would be moving to malapolski (between Krakow and zakapone).

Very nice area.
    Not too far from Krakow and beautiful Polish Mountains.

Did you think about your future employment?
    I guess that if you move to a small city, or village you will have problems to get a job. But in Krakow there is a large number of multinational companies where business language is English.

I would be very interested to hear how you are getting on in Poland and what is your occupation/ what you plan to do if this is not too private information for you to share on the forum

• Advertisement

yes beautiful area, near a place called jordanow in the area of nowy targ. The house is spacious with an old house, 2 farm buildings and about 10 acres of land. it is 600m above sea level, on mountains of around 1,000m. The higher tatra mountains are visible to our south.
    There is work to be done on house, needs new kitchen, decorating and possibly new windows. Could possibly take a year off work and live on savings whilst doing up house.
    Commuting to Krakow really isn't an option, its 60kms away. Teaching English could be an option as I've heard people like to get private tuition.

I don't think everything would fit in a transit, but its an option. We've sent 40kg parcels with gls back to Poland at a cost of 54€. Which could be a good too.

My wifes father died, we didn't really consider moving to Poland, so never thought about living here. We drove here from mayo last week to attend funeral and sort out paperwork etc. Quite a drive (2600kms on the road plus ferries)
    No timeframe, but ill be heading back to Ireland this week and my wife will stay on here and enjoy the beautiful weather, which I will greatly miss.

will pop you a PM in a minute snaps :)

yes beautiful area, near a place called jordanow in the area of nowy targ. The house is spacious with an old house, 2 farm buildings and about 10 acres of land. it is 600m above sea level, on mountains of around 1,000m. The higher tatra mountains are visible to our south.
    There is work to be done on house, needs new kitchen, decorating and possibly new windows. Could possibly take a year off work and live on savings whilst doing up house.
    Commuting to Krakow really isn't an option, its 60kms away. Teaching English could be an option as I've heard people like to get private tuition.

I don't think everything would fit in a transit, but its an option. We've sent 40kg parcels with gls back to Poland at a cost of 54€. Which could be a good too.

Ahhhhh those Irish immigrants takin our jobs in Poland and Polish Women..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Might sound a bit pessimistic here (that's a part of being Polish) but how long do you reckon you'll stay there after the savings are over? I've heard of exactly three families that re-emigrated to Ireland after 3-4 years.

Nice area, beautiful views and a refurbished house might not be enough to keep you there. And is definitely not something that would keep me there. On he other hand Nowy Targ sounds like Co. Mayo to me.

All the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Are ye yet familiar with what are hard shoulders for?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UupYlxgpX08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

best of luck with the move snaps
    i to hope to settle in poland someday
    love it there

daithi55 wrote: »
    best of luck with the move snaps
    i to hope to settle in poland someday
    love it there

The time is approaching, Hopefully by September I will be gone. Its hard work trying to get packed up in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

The time is approaching, Hopefully by September I will be gone. Its hard work trying to get packed up in this weather.
    Good luck with the move.
    I stayed in Jordanów last September, as I went over there to do some cycling and my God it is beautiful! People are friendly and we had an accommodation in my friend's family house. Loved it and would go back any time.
    Unemployment in that region is actually quite low, so I hope you get a job over there and will be able to support yourself and the Family.

Good Luck!

Seweryn wrote: »
    Good luck with the move.
    I stayed in Jordanów last September, as I went over there to do some cycling and my God it is beautiful! People are friendly and we had an accommodation in my friend's family house. Loved it and would go back any time.
    Unemployment in that region is actually quite low, so I hope you get a job over there and will be able to support yourself and the Family.

Good Luck!

Jordanow in Malapolskie (South of Krakow)? Yes beautiful area, we are a few Kilometers south again in Sidzina (11km's from Jordanow).

Im all packed up waiting for an exact date from haulage company, hoping for the 1st week of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Jordanow in Malapolskie (South of Krakow)? Yes beautiful area, we are a few Kilometers south again in Sidzina (11km's from Jordanow).

Im all packed up waiting for an exact date from haulage company, hoping for the 1st week of September.

Nice to meet you Snaps.
    I'm originally from Malopolska now living in Co. Mayo.
    Nice to see someone doing exactly opposite.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

I lived not far from there for six months in 2007. Beautiful spot. I regret not making more of an effort with the language. I hung out with English speakin people all the time and worked for a multinational. I'd go back in a heartbeat but two kids later not an option.

Jane Eyre wrote: »
    I lived not far from there for six months in 2007. Beautiful spot. I regret not making more of an effort with the language. I hung out with English speakin people all the time and worked for a multinational. I'd go back in a heartbeat but two kids later not an option.

im trying my hardest with the language, but some of the pronounciation is so hard.

Advertisement