Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish (Leaving Cert 2012)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Patchy~ wrote: »
    ChemHickey wrote: »
    And do you know if there is going to be the headings for certain? what headings are they?
    What do you mean? As in "what kind of story is this" or something like that?

Oh I'm sorry! =S I forgot to mention regarding poetry!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Oh, I dont know - the sample paper had them and the others by Edco didnt but I'd trust the sample. I hope so anyway, makes it 10 times easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stapler10

lads in my mock i coppied it straight out of the text and got deducted 3 marks on each comprehension so at worst you will only loose a percent of your entire grade from just coppying it out of the text, so its not the end of the world...anyways most likely they will probally allow you to ''copy and paste''

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Arie.c

Please help!! :/ my teacher has given us virtually NO notes for the book. She said we only have to do up to Chapter 8 with the new syllabus, but has given us no help. :/ I have no idea what are the main points to focus in on in each chapter. If any one could please please please give me some notes on chapters 2-8 (1 is grand) that would be amazing!!! email me: <snip>
    THANKS & GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.:D

Mod note - do not post email addresses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Arie.c wrote: »
    Please help!! :/ my teacher has given us virtually NO notes for the book. She said we only have to do up to Chapter 8 with the new syllabus, but has given us no help. :/ I have no idea what are the main points to focus in on in each chapter. If any one could please please please give me some notes on chapters 2-8 (1 is grand) that would be amazing!!! email me: <snip>
    THANKS & GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.:D
    Are you actually talking about iris
    h ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I need to get a pass in ordinary Irish. I literally have done know Irish study all year and my mind tends to wander in that class, often the class is spent by the teacher talking about stuff unrelated to Irish. It's my worst subject, just never liked it. I got 51% in the mocks but that was just paper 1 and 2, so that would have been 30.5% out of the 40% I need. My Oral went terribly and I'm not sure how they mark it but everything went wrong and I'd say at most I got 10% out of 40%. So I suppose I need about 60-70% at least in Paper 1/Paper 2 to be safe. I'm just wondering do they mark it hard? Should I be studying Irish. I want to study other HL subjects that I can get high B's and A's in. Do you think it would be grand if I just left Irish until weekend before and crammed?

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I need to get a pass in ordinary Irish. I literally have done know Irish study all year and my mind tends to wander in that class, often the class is spent by the teacher talking about stuff unrelated to Irish. It's my worst subject, just never liked it. I got 51% in the mocks but that was just paper 1 and 2, so that would have been 30.5% out of the 40% I need. My Oral went terribly and I'm not sure how they mark it but everything went wrong and I'd say at most I got 10% out of 40%. So I suppose I need about 60-70% at least in Paper 1/Paper 2 to be safe. I'm just wondering do they mark it hard? Should I be studying Irish. I want to study other HL subjects that I can get high B's and A's in. Do you think it would be grand if I just left Irish until weekend before and crammed?
    The mark you as you speak and for a few mins after you leave the exam room. But they try really hard to pass you. You may think it went terribly but they will know your standard and if they're a fair corrector will mark you on your standard of irish. Its all about if ye were able to communicate. Dont worry! They're really nice and fair :)

haro124 wrote: »
    h ?
    Yes I am talking about Irish? why would you think I wasn't ?? :/

Arie.c wrote: »
    haro124 wrote: »
    h ?
    Yes I am talking about Irish? why would you think I wasn't ?? :/

To clarify, I think she's talking of 'A thig na tit orm'

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

learning essays on:

timpeallact
    na meain chumarsáide
    oideachas
    daoine óga (drúgaí and all that crap)
    creidimh
    polaiteoirí
    spórt - ní spórt é a thuilleadh
    stád na gaeilge

if one of them doesn't suit i'll eat my paper. .

the thing with olympics is it's too predictable - it will feature on the paper somewhere but it could be in a comprehension, or they could have one of the boxers on the tape or do something like drugs in sport.

Oisín is the most likely for the prós they used to love asking bealoidis in An cearrbhach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Anyone else bricking it for HL Irish?

There's just so much to do :(, like Prós and Fíliocht is only 5% each and I think An Trial is like 8%, not really worth a lot for the amount of work required.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭clairey__Ox

Hey so I have essays on

Recession/poverty/emmigration
    Roads deaths
    Irish language
    Sport
    Environment
    Daoine Oga-ol,drugai

Is this enough? Should I have one on education/religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I have almost the same list as you.

I would learn debate format as well so if one of those topics came up under the debate heading, at least you'll have it prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭clairey__Ox

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I have almost the same list as you.

I would learn debate format as well so if one of those topics came up under the debate heading, at least you'll have it prepared!

Yep I've my openings and endings learned! I'm hoping this is enough, if I cant twist them soemway I'm fecked! I'm starrting to think maybe Olympics might be a bit obvious, same with recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 abbevilleson

So ... Just 2 make sure... It's a consensus... You do NOT hav to put it in ur own words for the the comprehensions... Seems kinda strange???

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

Hi I've a question if yous don't mind, I'm really unclear with the basics of grammar because my teacher presumed we knew it and worried I won't understand what grammar they're looking for in leamhthuiscint piece! Could somebody please tell me how id identify-
    Ainmfhocal (female and male)
    Aidhiactai (f + m)
    Think I'm okay with tuiseal gindideach however it's spelt although MALE AND FEMALE how would ye spot difference

What other grammar could be asked?
    And how do you all study for the leamhthuiscint? Haven't really done many practice ones myself

Oh one more thing actually do we need to have background to a poet? Like know a bit about them? All I'd know is their name if even!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Well at this stage the easiest way for you to spot a male/ female ainmfhocal is if there is 'an' before the noun and it starts on a consonant, the feminine will have a h and the masculine won't. Now, obviously sometimes a noun can't take a h, if it starts on an r for example. That would be your best bet! A masculine adjective wil not have a h and a feminine will. It's a little simplistic but stick with it at this stage and dont worry!

bearhugs wrote: »
    Well at this stage the easiest way for you to spot a male/ female ainmfhocal is if there is 'an' before the noun and it starts on a consonant, the feminine will have a h and the masculine won't. Now, obviously sometimes a noun can't take a h, if it starts on an r for example. That would be your best bet! A masculine adjective wil not have a h and a feminine will. It's a little simplistic but stick with it at this stage and dont worry!

An t-Ainmfhocal
    To add to this, if it isbegins with a vowel and there is a t before it, its masculine eg. an t-éan
    if there isn;t a t before, it is feminine, an ithir.

If it begins with s and there is n t before it, it is masculine, an sagart
    if there is an s before it, its feminine, an tsráid.

Also, here are some other little rles

Masculine
    *often when it ends in a broad consonant. eg, an fear
    *when it end in án
    *if it ends in ín
    *if it ends in eoir/úir/óir and is related to a profession ( an múinteoir etc)
    *if it ends in eact/acht and is onlyone syllable
    *ending on a vowel

Feminine
    *when it ends on a thin vowel an fhuil
    *when it ends in óg
    *when it ends in eacht/acht and is more than 1 syllable
    *if it ends in lann

^There are probably more but I'm only going by memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BrianOSuilleabh

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I'm only preparing:
    Irish language
    Sport/Olympics
    Ireland's need/lack of need for a president
    Poverty

...Am I ****ed? :eek: I managed to get 96/100 using poverty in the mock like, and most years I've been able to fit my titles in somewhere but at the same time a broad amount of essays would be much more useful :(

Id say that stuff about president wont come up cos it came up last year! Timpeallacht hasnt came since 2007 http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

Id say that stuff about president wont come up cos it came up last year! Timpeallacht hasnt came since 2007 http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

Timpeallacht would be great!
    Poverty hasnt come u p since 2007 either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 LanaMay94

Can anyone give me any advice on how to answer q6 on the comprehension, the one with genres and all that? We never did it, and I thought you could just say any genre but people in my year think theres only 3, iris, tuarisc and plé. Any help at all would be really appreciated, my teacher is shocking and my comprehensions really brought me down in the pre.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

ChemHickey wrote: »
    bearhugs wrote: »

An t-Ainmfhocal
    To add to this, if it isbegins with a vowel and there is a t before it, its masculine eg. an t-éan
    if there isn;t a t before, it is feminine, an ithir.

If it begins with s and there is n t before it, it is masculine, an sagart
    if there is an s before it, its feminine, an tsráid.

Also, here are some other little rles

Masculine
    *often when it ends in a broad consonant. eg, an fear
    *when it end in án
    *if it ends in ín
    *if it ends in eoir/úir/óir and is related to a profession ( an múinteoir etc)
    *if it ends in eact/acht and is onlyone syllable
    *ending on a vowel

Feminine
    *when it ends on a thin vowel an fhuil
    *when it ends in óg
    *when it ends in eacht/acht and is more than 1 syllable
    *if it ends in lann

^There are probably more but I'm only going by memory.

thank you so much, you too bearhugs
    Hopefully they're not overly complicated ones they ask for

• Registered Users Posts: 29 biddy boop

Hi guys,
    I don't want to come across as lazy or chancing my arm but...

Does anyone have any sample essays for honours Irish?

Even adaptable general opening and concluding paragraphs?

I'm repeating the leaving, it's been 10 years since I've been in school. I'm not attending any classes or have i received any grinds, I'm getting no help what so ever, so I'm desperate for any help u could offer, I'd be SO APPRECIATETIVE

My accuracy and grammar and Irish in general is really bad. At this stage I'm relying on learning everything off by heart, it's very hard

Please help...

Hope u've gotten on ok with English and the rest so far. The advice to forget about what's done &focus on the upcoming exams is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

biddy boop, please stop dragging up old Irish threads for that post, I will leave it in this thread but it doesn't need to be posted over multiple threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Do ye think would an essay on Recession/emigration/poverty, global warming, the irish language and olympics/sport cover me for honours paper 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

i'm learning 6 essays. do you think i'll be covered with them?
    -Mean Cumarsáide
    -timpeallacht
    -tíogar Ceiltigh/Polaiteorí (kinda half covers both)
    -Fadhbanna idirnaisiúnta
    -oideachas/daoine óga/drúgaí (all mixed up together)
    -Spórt & Sláinte

hope to god it's enough. i have another one on Irish as a compulsory subject and religion but really don't have time to learn them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

So the Irish aural has been compromised, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

So the Irish aural has been compromised, eh?

I wouldn't be worried about it. The new papers will be there for you on Monday afternoon. Makes no difference to the exam.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Full story HERE

As bdoo says, it won't make any difference really. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

biddy boop wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I don't want to come across as lazy or chancing my arm but...

Does anyone have any sample essays for honours Irish?

Even adaptable general opening and concluding paragraphs?

I'm repeating the leaving, it's been 10 years since I've been in school. I'm not attending any classes or have i received any grinds, I'm getting no help what so ever, so I'm desperate for any help u could offer, I'd be SO APPRECIATETIVE

My accuracy and grammar and Irish in general is really bad. At this stage I'm relying on learning everything off by heart, it's very hard

Please help...

Hope u've gotten on ok with English and the rest so far. The advice to forget about what's done &focus on the upcoming exams is good

Biddy Boop,
    Are you repeating this year :eek: or 2013?

Advertisement