Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the curse of the old Butcher shop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Thud

Fuinseog wrote: »
    any idea why it went bust?
    Don't know, it was open when i was in college down there, in the year I finished college Mike was starting to put up notices about absentee landlords etc it was still open when i left Galway

I know their ordering system wasn't the most secure on busy nights after nightclubs with people pretending orders were theres when Mike called them out and then having to refill the order when original person wondered where their order was....might have been part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Thud wrote: »
    That used to be "Snack Box", was a legendary chipper when it was there

You took the words out of my mouth!! God that place alway had queues going down around the corner when I was in college..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Just giving this a wee bump for posterity as it's been mentioned on another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Pity this post is ten years old! Was reminiscing about Snack Box. Funny how you completely forget places existed until someone mentions it. Was the kitchen upstairs and they had to run up and down the stairs for all the orders?

That's right. John, who appeared to work about about 200 hours a week running up and down with his brown bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Yeah I remember that well! Was a great chipper, high quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crofty28

Wow what a thread to find! Sorry to disappoint all, but the owner didn't go back to sea or bust 😅. Mike (my Dad) turned 70 today & that's what led me on my search which found this thread. Our family owned thimble Castle for 100 years & my Dad changed the butchers to the Snack Box. He sold this business at the peak of the boom & has been semi retired & very busy since ( 9 grandchildren & 1 great grandchild). I do agree that there's been a conveyor belt of businesses since, I imagine the rent is very high. But we hope a new family & business makes their home in Thimble Castle & makes memories as we did for 4 generations ✨️

Happy birthday to him 🎂🍰🎉

I remember him well, and your grandparents.

My mother used to go in for the 5 pence chops and bones for the dog on a regular basis and later I was a regular for the chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Another person off the internet wishing Mike well. I worked locally and was a big fan of the snack boxes in my time. If I'm not mistaken, the Snack Box could have been where I was introduced to the delights of the breakfast roll - say, in 1999 or so? Mike was always a delight. I'm glad he's enjoying his retirement!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Indeed, happy birthday Mike!

Glad to hear he’s keeping well and active.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Folks, In the interest of not breaching copyright, please don't copy & paste full articles from other publications here. A link is sufficient.

Advertisement