Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33 years in Prison for helping to find Bin Laden

• 24-05-2012 9:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0524/pakistan-jails-doctor-who-helped-find-bin-laden.html

US officials had urged Pakistan to release the doctor, who ran a vaccination programme for the CIA to collect DNA.
    The information gathered was used to verify the al-Qaeda leader's presence at the compound in the town of Abbottabad, where US commandos killed him in May 2011 in a unilateral raid.
    The lengthy sentence for Dr Shakil Afridi will be taken as another sign of Pakistan's defiance of US wishes.
    It could give more fuel to critics in the US that Pakistan - which has yet to arrest anyone for helping shelter Bin Laden - should no longer be treated as an ally.
    The verdict came days after a NATO summit in Chicago that was overshadowed by tensions between the two countries.
    Islamabad was invited in expectation that it would reopen supply lines for NATO and US troops to Afghanistan. It has blocked the lines for nearly six months to protest against US airstrikes that killed 24 Pakistani troops on the Afghan border.
    However it did not reopen the routes, and instead repeated demands for an apology from Washington for the airstrikes.
    Pakistan's treatment of Shakil Afridi since his arrest following the Bin Laden raid has in many ways symbolised the gulf between Washington and Islamabad.
    In the US and other Western nations, Afridi was viewed as a hero who helped eliminate the world's most wanted man.
    However Pakistan army and spy chiefs were outraged by the raid, which led to international suspicion that they had been harbouring the al-Qaeda chief.
    In their eyes, Afridi was a traitor who had collaborated with a foreign spy agency in an illegal operation on its soil.
    Afridi, who is in his 50s, was detained sometime after the raid, but the start of his trial was never publicised.

Seriously Pakistan, what the **** are you doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think it is the media who are seizing on the Bin Laden aspect.

The Pakistani authorities jailed him for being a CIA spy, collecting a database of DNA for them.

You'd probably be breaking the law by doing that here in Ireland too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Augmerson wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0524/pakistan-jails-doctor-who-helped-find-bin-laden.html

US officials had urged Pakistan to release the doctor, who ran a vaccination programme for the CIA to collect DNA.
    The information gathered was used to verify the al-Qaeda leader's presence at the compound in the town of Abbottabad, where US commandos killed him in May 2011 in a unilateral raid.
    The lengthy sentence for Dr Shakil Afridi will be taken as another sign of Pakistan's defiance of US wishes.
    It could give more fuel to critics in the US that Pakistan - which has yet to arrest anyone for helping shelter Bin Laden - should no longer be treated as an ally.
    The verdict came days after a NATO summit in Chicago that was overshadowed by tensions between the two countries.
    Islamabad was invited in expectation that it would reopen supply lines for NATO and US troops to Afghanistan. It has blocked the lines for nearly six months to protest against US airstrikes that killed 24 Pakistani troops on the Afghan border.
    However it did not reopen the routes, and instead repeated demands for an apology from Washington for the airstrikes.
    Pakistan's treatment of Shakil Afridi since his arrest following the Bin Laden raid has in many ways symbolised the gulf between Washington and Islamabad.
    In the US and other Western nations, Afridi was viewed as a hero who helped eliminate the world's most wanted man.
    However Pakistan army and spy chiefs were outraged by the raid, which led to international suspicion that they had been harbouring the al-Qaeda chief.
    In their eyes, Afridi was a traitor who had collaborated with a foreign spy agency in an illegal operation on its soil.
    Afridi, who is in his 50s, was detained sometime after the raid, but the start of his trial was never publicised.

What is it you don't agree with? He collaborated with a foreign nation and gave info which ultimately led to a military incursion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

BattleCorp wrote: »

The Pakistani authorities jailed him for being a CIA spy, collecting a database of DNA for them.

Ah, you know, I overlooked that but I thought that considering everything that happened, it would be less bad press to let him go or something. I wonder what the spying laws or laws against treason are like here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The yanks might get him out in a year or two. He's probably safer inside at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Which Bin Laden were they talking about?

http://i49.tinypic.com/2z5spqp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Which Bin Laden were they talking about?

http://i49.tinypic.com/2z5spqp.jpg

the fella that invented black bin liners ;)

Nodin wrote: »
    The yanks might get him out in a year or two. He's probably safer inside at the mo.

I totally read that in Carol Vorderman's voice from Tomorrow's World. "The Yanks should get him out in a year or two" :)

Ah, you know, I overlooked that but I thought that considering everything that happened, it would be less bad press to let him go or something. I wonder what the spying laws or laws against treason are like here?

Laws are laws and should be enforced no matter how much bad press they cause.

That said, he probably did the world a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I totally read that in Carol Vorderman's voice from Tomorrow's World. "The Yanks should get him out in a year or two" :)

Carol Vorderman was on Tomorrows world? Jaysus....don't remember her at all......I'm losing it now....soon the langer will give up the ghost...then its game over....

Laws are laws and should be enforced no matter how much bad press they cause.

That said, he probably did the world a favour.

Certainly did Obama's re-election prospects no damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

The guy broke medical law and ethics to help the CIA. There's no worse crime than that, the CIA are bast**ds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Imagine some doctor in Ireland was handing over people's DNA to the CIA. Might be political but the end doesn't justify the means here IMO.

The guy broke medical law and ethics to help the CIA. There's no worse crime than that, the CIA are bast**ds

Probably not that he knew what the bigger picture was, but what he did led to the "Coalition of the Willing" eliminating Bin Laden.

If something in 1945 happened with say, Hitler on the run, and someone supposed to be helping him spoke up about his location, do you think the German Gov't would do well to sentence the guy who spoke up to 33 years in prison?

What's the name for that law when somebody brings up Hitler and the Nazi's in an argument online?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Godwinned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's my understanding that the whole idea of a united Taliban is complete balderdash anyway. It's just useful to associate words like 'evil' with face, especially a creepy gaunt bearded foreign looking face.

Probably not that he knew what the bigger picture was, but what he did led to the "Coalition of the Willing" eliminating Bin Laden.

If something in 1945 happened with say, Hitler on the run, and someone supposed to be helping him spoke up about his location, do you think the German Gov't would do well to sentence the guy who spoke up to 33 years in prison?

What's the name for that law when somebody brings up Hitler and the Nazi's in an argument online?

Don't forget that the CIA pretty much created Bin Laden. They originally trained him, armed him and sent him out to fight the Russians on their behalf.

I'm not supporting Bin Laden but don't forget that how people view Bin Laden depends on what side of the fence you sit on. The US pretty much viewed him as the Antichrist and a portion of the Islamic world viewed him as a freedom fighter fighting for Muslims against the Great Evil. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

The end doesn't always justify the means. It's not ok for Bin Laden's crew to go around blowing up innocent people but it isn't ok either for drones to take out small villages with 30 or so people just to kill 5 terrorists. It seems to me that no matter who is killed, men, women, children, they are all conveniently labelled as insurgents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Shows which way the wind blows in Pakistan. They're certainly not to be trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Not when you attack civilians. I don't think there's ever been "freedom Fighters" that resorted to terror. The protestant who feared an Irish Chaothlic government were, in some ways, proven completly right. And we did become an almost Religious Fundamentalist state after the War for Independance.

How is Sharia law freedom? It's probably the exact opposite of freedom for both men and women.

I'm not actually attacking your post, and yes I did take that quote rather out of context, but I'm just saying my opinion:P

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

yawn, another "lets miss the point to make the situation more dramatic than it is" thread. Go write for the daily mail and leave after hours alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

johngalway wrote: »
    Shows which way the wind blows in Pakistan. They're certainly not to be trusted.

Not defending it or anything, but the guy did leak intelligence to a foreign force which led to an attack on home soil. How many years would someone get for leaking info on a defector in the US which led to a military assault on American soil?
    [The Doctor] who ran a vaccination programme for the CIA to collect DNA.

That in itself should not be ignored or excused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭davetherave

Minimum of 40 years imprisonment for treason.
    Section 4 Criminal Justice Act 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Not defending it or anything, but the guy did leak intelligence to a foreign force which led to an attack on home soil. How many years would someone get for leaking info on a defector in the US which led to a military assault on American soil?

I understand that, but he did a service to the world with the work he did. Bin Laden was hiding out surrounded by Pakistani military in that area, no one knew he was there? I don't think so. There's a glut of terrorist sympathisers in positions of power within Pakistan. The ISI have/are the source of life to the Taliban, which isn't Al Qaeda but they did accommodate them and their training camps. They could have got rid of the problem by carelessly letting the doctor escape to the USA/wherever as China did with the blind guy. 33 years for providing the information that led to the death of someone like Bin Laden sends out some signal to the rest of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

In Ireland he'd probably only get fined for breaching data protection laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

That's odd...

should have given him 34 n called it even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

The Yanks screwed this fella over for his part in helping them find Bin Laden. It would have cost them another million or 2 to get this lad to the states and buy him a nice house but they didn't bother.

On top of what the project to capture Bin Laden must have cost them you'd hardly notice these few extra millions but there was probably someone in the CIA eyeing a promotion off the boss and his chance to save a few bob by leaving this lad out to dry paid off for him.

This shi1thead is likely to be after buying himself a new house (mortgage) and a new GM-made pile of sh1t pickup truck (car loan) and a 60" TV from his wage increase thinking he's "the sh1t" turning a blind eye to the fact that he screwed over this doctor to get to where he is now.

The Americans: No better than a drug lord who stands by and watches while his mules to rot in jail or get the death penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Incredibly mis-leading op, and typical of the West to only tell half the story.

While the guy did help find Bin Laden. His methods were nothing short of repugnant, and I am pretty sure he violated the Hippocratic oath in the process.

They created a fake vaccination program, where they only gave one of the 3 required doses. So there are kids in Pakistan who think they are vaccinated, and aren't. Those kids are now in danger due to the CIA and this man, and some may very well die, but when the US kills innocent people, apparently its ok.

His actions will also increase existing suspicion to such programs, which will again lead to more deaths. This so called Doctor deserves to rot for every single second for what he did, and imho he got of lightly. If all he did was help get Bin Laden, then I wouldn't have any issues with that, but what he did was endanger innocent children, which makes him and the CIA little better than terrorists imho.

The Wests version of the events only mentions getting Bin Laden, and when the West does something that results in endangering children, then its ok. The end justifies the means, but when the other guy uses the same logic there evil terrorists. Pretty straight forward hypocrisy.

Glen Greenwald of Salon.com wrote an excellent article on this:
    The Imperial Mind

For the most part the Western media pretty much ignores the CIA and there helper endangering civilians and try to paint Pakistan as evil for rightfully tossing this guy in jail. The harm that the CIA and this so called "Doctor" (he no longer deserves this title due to his putting innocent children in danger) is being ignored and entirely one sided fantasy is being presenting, of how the "Good Guys" killed Bin Laden. Don't get me wrong, I could care less about Bin Laden, he brought his death on himself, but the children that the CIA and this "Doctor" put in danger is imho an unforgivable crime, and at least one of the perpetrators is seeing the inside of a prison cell is a good thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

johngalway wrote: »
    I understand that, but he did a service to the world with the work he did. Bin Laden was hiding out surrounded by Pakistani military in that area, no one knew he was there? I don't think so. There's a glut of terrorist sympathisers in positions of power within Pakistan.

33 years for providing the information that led to the death of someone like Bin Laden sends out some signal to the rest of the world.

Well said.

Do not forget our government gave millions of euro "aid" to the Pakistani government following floods there a few years ago.....despite the fact that Pakistan is a nuclear power. It should be able to afford to look after its own problems.

Statement of the week: " 33 years for providing the information that led to the death of someone like Bin Laden sends out some signal to the rest of the world ". Do not forget Bin Laden killed thousands in 9/11, and damaged economies and destroyed lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

true wrote: »
    Statement of the week: " 33 years for providing the information that led to the death of someone like Bin Laden sends out some signal to the rest of the world ". Do not forget Bin Laden killed thousands in 9/11, and damaged economies and destroyed lives.

So the lives of Pakistani children are worthless I take it........ The fact is that the CIA are rather adept at destroying lives themselves, and there hunt for Bin Laden is a prefect example of this, shows the extreme hypocrisy of your statement.

The signal being sent to the world, from the US is rather simple, when we put the lives of Pakistani children in danger, we are heroes, and so is anyone who helps us, and that the lives of Pakistani children are worthless to us. I am sure plenty of people in that part of the world heard them loud and clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm losing it now....soon the langer will give up the ghost...then its game over....

Don't worry Nodin, four new duracell batteries and the langer will be vibrating away like goodo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Breaking US law too.

Advertisement