Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rereading

• 09-08-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Anyone elaw rereading in anticipation of season five? I found for chunks of season four, I couldn't remember a lot of details as it's been so long since I first read them.

Or are any viewers deciding to take the plunge with the books, and how are you finding it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I am on my third read (so, second re-read) and I enjoy it more each time. I always notice an extra little nugget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I loved the books at first but found the later books dragged and I got very bored reading them. I much prefer the tv show and don't think I will be bothered reading anymore books, nevermind re-reading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I loved the books at first but found the later books dragged and I got very bored reading them. I much prefer the tv show and don't think I will be bothered reading anymore books, nevermind re-reading them.

Although I agree that they dragged later on in the series, I personally think A Feast For Crows is an excellent book that can only be really appreciated the second or third time it's read.

I just started the books again and I'm close to Neds 'Tower of Joy' scene. Probably the best written part of the entire series IMO..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Have read AGOT and ACOK for the third time in the last few weeks. Been just over two years since I last read them and have to echo the above sentiments that they get better every time. You start to see hints and subtle comments that you wouldn't have noticed on the first or even second read through. Think AFFC and ADWD hold up better when you're not rushing through to see what happens and can appreciate the politics at the Wall, King's Landing and Meereen, it was the case for me anyway.

Tbh, I feel the reading the books at this stage really expose how shallow and simplified the TV adaptation is by comparison. But I understand people's frustrations with the two most recent additions to the series as the action slows down considerably and the geographical split is annoying (going to try the Boiled Leather method this time around).

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I am finding stuff I'd never noticed before, certainly. The thing that stuck out for me yesterday from A Clash of Kings:
    The steel was polished to such a high sheen that she could see her reflection in the breastplate, gazing back at her as if from the bottom of a deep green pond. The face of a drowned woman, Catelyn thought. Can you drown in grief?

I'd agree as well that as I'm less rushing on for plot reveals, I'm enjoying the depth of the story more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I'm currently rereading Feast and Dance together. It's making for a very enjoyable reread!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd recommend the Boiled Leather method of merging AFFC and ADWD. Easiest done with an e-reader though!

I've read through the series 3/4 times now and you definitely pick up a lot more on the re-reads. So much of the hate for AFFC comes from the frustration of tearing through your first read of it looking for the action to begin at the same level it did in the previous books and the disappointment of that not being the case resulting in not picking up the subtleties of that book. I didn't even notice that Pate's re-appearance at the end was odd on my first read-through, never mind piece together what it meant!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Going to try the boiled leather method myself. Half tempted to take notes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Just started to re-read but from A Feast For Crows. Only a few chapters in and I'm definitely enjoying it more. The first time I read the books was only during last summer and I was kind of in a rush to get through them to see what happens. In that rush I found I actually missed out on a lot of what was going on and the initial introduction of so many new characters was actually confusing. On the re-read though, knowing what happens up to the end of ADWD I am finding it much easier to keep track of the characters and how they develop.

Can't wait for season 5 of the TV show. A pity so much being left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I tore through the books on my first read, missed a lot of tiny details and premonitions in the first 3 books. For example The house of the undying chapter was totally unappreciated on my first time, the tourney of the Hand was a total Westoros celeb role call on the second read.

AFFC and ADWD were a complete gear change to the first 3 books. As said previous first time readers were looking for the next red/purple wedding. a plethora of new characters are thrown in also. I completed a second read via the audio books. I mixed the final two using the Boiled Leather method and I have to saw if was a superior experience. AFFC is beautifully written and connects the reader with the real folk of westoros, what it lacks in plot development it makes up for in character development.

As for the TV show, as a TV show I think it is a superb productions. Everything from the music to the sets, no expense is sparred. The cast a excellent too. But I have accepted that the books and TV Show are separate pieces of entertainment and I enjoy them both.

I will begin a 3rd re-listen after season 5 as i'll have an itch for it then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I've just reread the first three and am attempting to read A Feast for Dragons, boiled leather style- extremely cumbersome with two weighty tomes plus trying to follow along the reading order on my phone! I'm really impressed with how the combined reading order highlights and juxtaposes threads that might otherwise be lost.

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I've just reread the first three and am attempting to read A Feast for Dragons, boiled leather style- extremely cumbersome with two weighty tomes plus trying to follow along the reading order on my phone! I'm really impressed with how the combined reading order highlights and juxtaposes threads that might otherwise be lost.

There are a few podcasts doing that re read at the moment - podcast winterfell is a good one, so is a Cast of thrones.

There are a few podcasts doing that re read at the moment - podcast winterfell is a good one, so is a Cast of thrones.

I've been listening to Radio Westeros- it's great! Tight in depth analysis and the fake ads are hilarious. I also like BLAH but it's more like two guys who know a fcukton about ASOIAF having a chat.

Off I go to subscribe......

Off I go to subscribe......

After finishing rereading I'd recommend listening to the History of Westeros' podcast on the last episode of season 4, if you're not planning a preseason 5 rewatch. It outlines where the show is in relation to the books and speculates on where they might be going. I'm finding it hard to get my head around the diverging plots!

Advertisement