Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12: Ulster vs Leinster, Ravenhill, 20/4, 19:05 KO, BBC2 & RTE 2

• 19-04-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Leinster team to face Ulster in Friday night's RaboDirect PRO12 derby against Ulster in Ravenhill (KO: 7.05pm) has been named...

In all there are 13 Ireland qualified players in the starting XV including scrum-half Eoin Reddan - making his 60th Leinster appearance - who links up with Jonathan Sexton at half back for the trip to Belfast.

Luke Fitzgerald is named in a back three alongside the Kearney brothers. Unfortunately, Eoin O'Malley was a late withdrawal this morning after a recurrence of his calf strain forced him from the training field, thus Fergus McFadden - who makes his 70th Leinster appearance - will partner Brian O'Driscoll in the midfield.

Up front, Cian Healy, Richardt Strauss and Mike Ross start in the front row, with All Black Brad Thorn locking down alongside skipper Leo Cullen. Kevin McLaughlin (who will also make his 70th Leinster appearance) joins fellow ex Gonzaga College SJ forward Dominic Ryan in the back row alongside the returning Sean O'Brien who starts at number eight.

If Ireland scrum-half Isaac Boss, one of four Ireland internationals on the bench, is used as a replacement it will be his 50th provincial appearance.

LEINSTER:

15: Rob Kearney
    14: David Kearney
    13: Brian O'Driscoll
    12: Fergus McFadden
    11: Luke Fitzgerald
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Eoin Reddan

1: Cian Healy
    2: Richardt Strauss
    3: Mike Ross
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Brad Thorn
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Dominic Ryan
    8: Sean O'Brien

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Sean Cronin
    17: Heinke van der Merwe
    18: Nathan White
    19: Devin Toner
    20: Shane Jennings
    21: Isaac Boss
    22: Ian Madigan
    23: Fionn Carr

REFEREE: John Lacey (IRFU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Peter Fitzgibbon, Olly Hodges (both IRFU), TMO: Peter Ferguson (IRFU)

Ulster team to follow...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Strong Leinster side as expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If O'Malley was meant to start I wonder how they would have lined up in the centre.

Another interesting and exciting team from Schmidt. Almost full strength bar the usual player or two being rested and giving others a chance. Glad to see Ryan get a shot and nice to see the Kearney bros playing together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Isa, Darcy and Heaslip rested.

Looking forward to seeing that backrow in action.

If both teams showed up to play this would be a cracker, but I'd say both will keep the top drawer locked, full in the knowledge they'll be under the the Edinburgh / Clermont spotlight, and also in the back of their minds probably thinking the may be seeing each other again soon.

Let's hope this isn't the last time we see this fixture this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Interesting comment about Ferg replacing EOM. I wonder if they were gonna start EOM at 12? OR maybe at 13 with BOD at 12?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No way EOM would have been lining up at 12.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Interesting comment about Ferg replacing EOM. I wonder if they were gonna start EOM at 12? OR maybe at 13 with BOD at 12?

Yeah I wonder. O'Malley has played 12 before a few times so we could have seen O'Malley at 12/13 and BOD at 13/12. The two of them mixing it up throughout the game. Would have liked to have seen that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

WeeBushy wrote: »
    O'Malley has played 12 before a few times

He has? I don't remember any.

Um, I forgot to add the TV channel to the title. Can a MOD please add? I think it's BBC2...

Podge_irl wrote: »

Could have sworn he has played 12 a few times, when he started to break through, in some of our B team selections. I could easily be wrong about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Almost had the prediction right!

Ryan ahead of Jennings... Could a good game get him on the bench against Clermont?

I reckon the selection of Reddan is interesting. Will they try an attacking game so as to see how well they can throw the ball around in case of a rematch in May?

That potential game might see both sides keep a lot in their pockets this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Um, I forgot to add the TV channel to the title. Can a MOD please add? I think it's BBC2...
    And RTE2

Ulster team... Interesting P. Jackson to start...
    Ulster Match Day Squad to face Leinster, Friday 20th April 2012, Ravenhill (kick-off 7.05pm)

(15-9):
    S Terblanche;
    A Trimble,
    D Cave,
    P Wallace,
    C Gilroy;
    P Jackson,
    R Pienaar;

(1-8):
    T Court,
    N Brady,
    D Fitzpatrick,
    J Muller (capt),
    L Stevenson,
    C Henry,
    W Faloon,
    P Wannenburg;

Replacements (16-23): A Kyricaou, P McAllister, A Macklin, N McComb, R Diack, I Porter, I Humphreys, A D'Arcy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Podge_irl wrote: »

Could have sworn he has played 12 a few times, when he started to break through, in some of our B team selections. I could easily be wrong about that.
    Yep he played 12 with Ferg at 13 in 2009 I think. McFadden was getting beaten a bit in defense so they eventually switched, (under Cheika still I think) and it worked much better.

Yep he played 12 with Ferg at 13 in 2009 I think. McFadden was getting beaten a bit in defense so they eventually switched, (under Cheika still I think) and it worked much better.

Played there last year against Connacht for Leinster A as well, and against the Dragons at the beginning of this season.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055882214&page=60

http://emeraldrugby.com/RaboDirect-Pro12/News.aspx?NewsID=db561f80-16df-420a-959c-1192da3af399

EDIT: He's actually played inside BOD before, against Aironi:

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19689&start=100

13 is definitely his better position, but it would have been interesting to see himself and BOD mixing it up in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Humphreys started last week so it's not a big surprise.

Porter will probably get 20-25 minutes to get some gametime, afaik he hasn't been involved recently at all.

I'm really looking forward to this match, first time where Leinster and Ulster have named strong sides when facing each other. Live on the BBC too so I don't have to go hunting for bloody streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Looking forward to this one. Very strong side by Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Very surprised by the Jackson selection. Even if iHumph started last week, this is Jackson's first start at 10 for Ulster since September and it's the week before their biggest game in over 10 years. Surprised they didn't look to get Pienaar and Humphreys or even Porter on the pitch. Would think there's more chance of them being on the field next week. Looking forward to seeing Jackson though. Massive future ahead of him I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

This has the look of a sparring contest to me.
    We'll play at a decent tempo for 55 - 60 minutes then pull all the key players off the pitch.

Ulster not taking risks from what I can see. Ferris still in the deep freeze.

Leinster to win.

BOD and Sexton will be pulled I reckon at 60. So that'll make the reshuffle interesting. JS always seems to like changing things up, we saw Mads and Sexton playing together against Cardiff and it looked like Mads was used in the center...

I reckon a straight swap for Sexton with Madigan, BOD off for Carr, Ferg to 13 and Fitz to 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

15: Rob Kearney
    14: David Kearney
    13: Brian O'Driscoll
    12: Fergus McFadden
    11: Luke Fitzgerald
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Eoin Reddan

Losing this, move D.K out and replace with Isa and I would like to see this moving forward if D'arcy can't get form back. No surprise to see Isa/heaslip/Darcy been rested after last weeks game.

Looks like Thorn and Cullen will start in Semi....good to see SOB get a run at 8, will show what he can do....expect a win for Leinster. Very strong team

Hopefully no injures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

This is one of the fixtures SOB really cut loose in at 8 last season, Ferris wasnt on the pitch then either, not sure if those two have played against each other yet.

Apparently SOB hasnt been happy with his form so far this season.
    Carlow native Sean O'Brien is widely seen by many as key to Leinster and Ireland success but the Tullow man admits "I've probably been a little bit frustrated during the season with my form but I've felt better better in the last month or two. Hopefully I can maintain that and be a big part of the team.

You could definately see some of that frustration in his break in the second half against the Blues. Still think his contributions been massive this season, just different to last. He was unfortunate to be subbed in every 6N game for Ireland, think Kidney could've handled that better and shown a bit more faith in him seeing as we now know his confidence was a bit low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Really looking forward to this now - particularly seeing how Cave gets on against BOD. Should be a cracker of a match. But I can see both teams being a bit cagey - Leinster have secured first place in the Rabo, and won't want to show Ulster too many tricks in case they meet in the HEC final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

rugbug86 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this now - particularly seeing how Cave gets on against BOD. Should be a cracker of a match. But I can see both teams being a bit cagey - Leinster have secured first place in the Rabo, and won't want to show Ulster too many tricks in case they meet in the HEC final.

How? all Ulster have to do is watch TV....

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Loving this team, and what makes it even better is that out of the whole squad, only 3 aren't Irish qualified (And of those three, one hopefully will declare this year, and White in 2 more)

As for Jackson starting, Pienaar normally covers outhalf sub role for the big matches, but with Marshall injured he will most prob have to stay at scrumhalf for the entire game, so looks kike they're using this to get Jackson some good experience if/when he is needed to come on next weekend in the Quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Strong selections from both coaches-but Leinster look stronger and I expect a 5-10 point win. Lets hope for no injuries for either team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Is Rory Best injured?

Edit: no, he's rested according to Ulster website

Is Rory Best injured?

Edit: no, he's rested according to Ulster website

Beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

As for Jackson starting, Pienaar normally covers outhalf sub role for the big matches, but with Marshall injured he will most prob have to stay at scrumhalf for the entire game, so looks kike they're using this to get Jackson some good experience if/when he is needed to come on next weekend in the Quarters.

This.

With Marshall out Ulster are looking stretched at half backs. Makes total sense to have Jackson get some game-time - one injury to iHumph and he'll find himself playing in a HC semi.

Could be very ala Sexton '09 coming on to kick Ulster to the final, come to think of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Beat me to it.

Should have just checked it myself before I typed the question really.

Anyway, really happy with that Leinster team. No major surprises, Nacewa and D'Arcy were always going to be rested so the only question was who would slot in. Thought D Kearney was excellent against Embra last week so glad to see him get the nod, also looking forward to seeing Ferg at 12 with BOD outside him.

Back-row is interesting, specifically Ryan getting in ahead of Jennings. Not sure how to read this, but it's probably an indication that McLaughlin will keep his spot for the Clermont game.

Ulster team is strong enough too; I suppose the main area of interest there was what front row they'd send out in Afoa's absence. I'm glad they're not trying to shift Court to TH as was suggested by some, hopefully Fitzpatrick will put in a decent showing (but not too good...)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Should have just checked it myself before I typed the question really.

Anyway, really happy with that Leinster team. No major surprises, Nacewa and D'Arcy were always going to be rested so the only question was who would slot in. Thought D Kearney was excellent against Embra last week so glad to see him get the nod, also looking forward to seeing Ferg at 12 with BOD outside him.

Back-row is interesting, specifically Ryan getting in ahead of Jennings. Not sure how to read this, but it's probably an indication that McLaughlin will keep his spot for the Clermont game.

Ulster team is strong enough too; I suppose the main area of interest there was what front row they'd send out in Afoa's absence. I'm glad they're not trying to shift Court to TH as was suggested by some, hopefully Fitzpatrick will put in a decent showing (but not too good...)

I'd have had Best on the bench and given him 20 minutes, just so he doesn't go into the semi with no rugby since the quarter.

Heres hoping that Fitzpatrick can do a job for Ulster he is just coming back off injury. I think the plan might have been court but he came off the worse from playing TH last week against young Buckley in Connacht.

Advertisement