Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New icerink!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

hiya guys,

is there a learn to play ice hockey programme in santry?ive tried phoning the IIHA but no one ever answers the phone and have sent numerous emails but again no reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Yeah I think it's on Saturday mornings but I'm not 100% on that.. i'll be up in the rink later this evening and I'll double check

• Registered Users Posts: 44 headlikea

Hi Marc, going by the IIHA website there is Learn to Play on Saturdays, here's the link : http://www.iiha.org/news/674/iiha-launches-learn-to-play-programme-at-santry-national-ice-sports-arena

I don't know if it's still on. There is also Learn to Play on Saturdays at Castleknock on Ice, it's a smaller rink but well organised. I don't know the times but here's the phone number : 086 844 72 74

Also, I think you have to join an ice hockey club or join the IIHA to use the new rink in Santry, as it is not open to the public yet, but Castleknock is open to the public and I don't think you pay membership fees, just the cost of the session.

yeah im playing for a team,but havent played in 16yrs so wanted to start from scratch and get used to puck handling and stuff.it does say on IIHA website that there is a beginners session but no reply from them and i dont want to drive up there(1 1/5 hrs) for nothing if u know what i mean.

• Advertisement

No, you don't want a wasted journey. Keep an eye on this thread and I'm sure someone will have some information for you soon.

Senior LTP is between 1-2 Saturday afternoon.. Then the kids are 2-3. Also the Hawks are playing the SNL Giants.. afterwards so they might let you stick around for that.

I don't think you need to be with a club for LTP, as it's about learning the ropes of the game. But you probably will have to register with the IIHA or at least get insured.

Are you on facebook marc? There's a fairly big irish ice hockey group on it and if you need any information that's probably the best place to ask

do you have a link to their page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

http://waynehardman.com/596/santry-national-ice-sports-arena-dublin/

In that article they state that they want an Elite League team in for the 2013/2014 season. Is there room for expansion to put in any seats, or have they got that wrong?

Hi Ping Chow Chi, as far as I know parts of the rink are still under construction, I think they are putting in more viewing seats. Have a look at a post by 'red ice', page 6 of this thread, post#85.

I'm hearing bad news about the Santry rink, seems it's closing down for renovations for a few months, does anyone else know more about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Just heard today, Santry is closing until September/October while they bring it up to code. Health & safety etc. There's probably a lot that could be done to it, but it doesn't make sense to close it unless they need to make changes to the pad.

It's officially closed from tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭PMC83

OU812 wrote: »
    Just heard today, Santry is closing until September/October while they bring it up to code. Health & safety etc. There's probably a lot that could be done to it, but it doesn't make sense to close it unless they need to make changes to the pad.

It's officially closed from tonight :(

Its annoying allright, but IMHO I reckon they should have got proper showers in before opening up. Grand if you are local, but a bit of a pain if you have a long drive back after hockey.

Hopefully the guys open again with the place cleaned up!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

The ice rink is closing for the remainder of the summer for renovations and improvements. As such, we will be in touch with all participants for alternative programmes and arrangements in due course.

it only opened on the 26 april only a month and its closin that was stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭PMC83

kevin-46 wrote: »

I disagree, start small, see how it is, see if its busy enough to warrent expansion- build it up. Makes sense. Thats where the icedome wasnt great in my book. Big purpose built facilty right off the bat.

kevin-46 wrote: »

It was never officially opened .

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Anyone have any news on Santry? I've been hearing only bad things and find it hard to believe it will reopen.

What have you been hearing wisco?

• Advertisement

Just that things on the admin (insurance, planning?) side weren't done properly and therefore rink may not open due to problems on that end. Rumours being rumours, I'm never sure what to believe, but given the history of rinks on this island, it's pretty easy to believe bad news. :mad:

I'm hearing something similar myself, either what you're saying Wisco or that there's problems funding the building work- showers, toilets etc, I'm trying to find out more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExIIHA

A good friend sent me a link to Daft.ie where the premises are offered For Sale or To Let, I am also told the plant is on offer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExIIHA

http://forums.t.net/showthread.php?11074-New-rink/page3
    There is a post about this on the International Hockey Forum see the link above. It seems that someone else has come up wih the same information.
    I have also had it confirmed to me by a person who was assisting in setting up the rink that this is the building.
    What was the IIHA thinking getting involved with this shambles.

That's a shame

I imagine they were thinking any ice is better than none. Guess its back to the inline then :(

That's a little misleading, there is ice - Castleknock on Ice is still operating, I know it's smaller but can you not practise on it?As far as I'm aware there are ice hockey teams practising every evening there. I mean everyone managed ok in the 80's and 90's with the smaller rinks Dolphin's Barn and Silver Skate in Phibsboro.

I heard Castleknock is closing temporarily for maintenance too.

Disclaimer - not 100%, just overheard someone out there

Hi OU812, I didn't know this, I'll find out more when I go there this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rookey

Castleknock is closing for 6 weeks, I think sunday is the last day and due to open back up on the 22nd Oct. Celtic Clovers, Dublin Ducks and junior flyers have training there. There's also open pick up on Wednesday and Riot pick up on Sunday. It's small but it's Ice. I've also heard from fairly reliable sources that Santry is gone. It doesn't surprise me given the record of rinks in Ireland.

Advertisement