Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal codes in Cork

• 12-10-2005 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Does anyone know what areas the various (unused) postal codes in Cork refer to? I've seen the number '1' on signs around the city centre e.g. MacCurtain St. and the number '4' in Wilton IIRC, but never seen anything higher than that, and have never seen the numbers '2' or '3' anywhere about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I don't think that has anything to do with postal codes. I think that's some sort of traffic direction thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I got a insurance cert the other day and it was like bla bla quote based on post code address in cork CX 21332 or something like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

I don't think that has anything to do with postal codes. I think that's some sort of traffic direction thing.
    Are you talking about those blue signs with the route numbers and symbols on them? No, I mean the regular signs at the start and end of each street attached to the wall that display the name of the street. Sometimes, in Cork, they'll have a number on the left -- in Dublin, this corresponds to the postal district the street (or area) is in. So, for example, if you live in Wilton you can say you're in "Cork 4". I want to find out what the other areas are.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Douglas is in "Cork 2" It's on my TV Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I think they are postal districts alright, they were never really brought into use though. I'd guess that 3 is on the northside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

its Fairhill i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

3 is on the north of the river (it's always on the letters that the TV boys send out every so often) and 4 is the student end of town. There's a thread about this somewhere else here.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

Douglas is in Cork 2 and Bishopstown is in Cork 4. The best place to ask would be at the Post Office. I did ask our postie once what our exact address should be, but the answer started with a "Yerra.." so I didn't listen to the rest of it.

Maybe a minister introduced the codes but unions didn't support them?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

thats a very imaginative postal code

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

well having a code similar to Cork 2v3tg5-7h-2 which would identify the location down to the nearest square inch might be more imaginative but seeing as no-one uses them it would be a waste.... we don't need codes ;-) - sure can't everyone give directions !!! - we're in our house 8 years and when people get stuck we still describe them as "the new houses on the left after the...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

parsi wrote:
    well having a code similar to Cork 2v3tg5-7h-2 which would identify the location down to the nearest square inch might be more imaginative but seeing as no-one uses them it would be a waste.... we don't need codes ;-) - sure can't everyone give directions !!! - we're in our house 8 years and when people get stuck we still describe them as "the new houses on the left after the...."

That's acceptable, "new" is a relative term.
    For example, If you lived in a terrace of 1900 redbrick houses, and there was a row of 1970's semi-d's they would be "new"

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

1 North East & City Cente
    2 South East (east of the South City Link Road)
    3 North West
    4 South West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 complex

lol.....they're postal codes alright , but in typical cork fashion no-one pays any attention to em.......

what do we cork people put on forms when we are asked for a zip code..............have we got 1???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

'00000' if it's American zip codes and 'CK1 XXX' if its British postal codes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

I just put 'nozip' and if that doesn't work I quickly leave the site.

Advertisement