Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on fundraising for search and rescue

• 23-04-2014 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

Some friends and I are in the process of putting together a marine search and recovery crew in our area. We are all divers and experienced watermen who have been involved in many searches but the whole thing is totally ad-hoc at the moment. We simply want to create an official group so that there is an actual entity that can be contacted in the case of a search for a missing person. We also hope to fund raise for the upkeep and purchase of neccessary equipment.

Can anybody advise me on the legalities of setting up such a group. Would it be considered a charity or a voluntary organistion? Is it legal to fundraise? I assume if we do raise funds in the name of charity we will have to be financially accountable to a regulatory body but who would that be?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

You need to post more details before anyone can advise. Emergency services forum might also be a better group for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I set up a community Arts group recently and this is what I needed
    1) a committee (for transparency), I asked me mates
    2) Insurance, a couple of local businesses liked what I was doing and offered to sponsor.
    3) a bit of a plan/objective/mission statement.

After that, I had a few fundraisers. I didn't need insurance to do a table quiz (because my group was for youth, I had it in a café for families and it went down brilliant) so that could be one to get insurance up and running.

I've also done car boot sales, set up a stall/gazebo at a festival with info. on our organization with facepainting and I'm about to do a treasure quest with my teens. If you network within your community, and support other organizations, you'll get support back.

Bottom line, if you're fundraising, publicity, publicity, publicity. Have a four week publicity plan before your event because Telepathy isn't everyone's superpower. I'd say week 1 posters, week 2 event page on facebook, week 3 press releases and a few days before the event text tag (text your mates and pass it on)

Best of luck, it's a worth cause

Advertisement