Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week in the Local Papers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Squiggle wrote: »
    Opposite Paddy Powers? Is that replacing a barbers that I thought opened there recently? Jeez that one didn't last long if that's the case !

My thoughts exactly, it was Kian's Barber's for what seems like a week now its hairland or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ledger wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly, it was Kian's Barber's for what seems like a week now its hairland or something.

Hairland sounds like a weird wig based theme park.:)

@Judgement Day-sorry didn't realise it was just 'Total Rubbish' you don't like.Just spotted on the front page there's a report on vandalism in the new playground-I posted that a good while ago.How come as soon as Enniscorthy gets something for kids that some bollixes have to vandalise it,it'll get to the stage that the council will just remove the playgrounds,wait 'til said vandals have their own kids and whinge about nothing for them to do.

zerks wrote: »
    Hairland sounds like a weird wig based theme park.:)

You're weaving a bad story there.....:pac:

i'll get my coat....

Not much in the NR Standard this week front page leads with:

National Ploughing means E15m boost for New Ross.

Also apparently Ger Doyle wants his re-trial to be somewhere other than Wexford. fúcking cheek of him.

Then also news of a laptop being stolen from St Michael's Theatre, no money for Wexford General Hospital (shock horror, election lies!) and John Browne's whinging.

Also there's a piece in the sport section about NR Celtic's win against Cavan Town AFC on Sunday which put them through to the semi-finals of the FAI Junior Cup (home draw to St. Michael's of Tipp Town, Easter Weekend), and also includes them in the FAI Ford Senior Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

2. Fitness Essentials? I'm not sure about that one, it's a bit of a niche market and the town may be too small for them.

go on the ledgers

• Advertisement

wexfjord wrote: »
    go on the ledgers

:confused: wha??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

:confused: wha??

Fitness Essentials is run by the Ledgers - The shop has moved from L & N car park to Lower Mary Street.

If we could get more Strongman Competitions to NR it may help trade .

This footage was shot recently in the Good Counsel grounds :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXqpBxTe3bE

Fitness Essentials is run by the Ledgers - The shop has moved from L & N car park to Lower Mary Street.

If we could get more Strongman Competitions to NR it may help trade .

This footage was shot recently in the Good Counsel grounds :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXqpBxTe3bE

Oh right didn't know that...sure there's so many or us in the town. Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

National Newspapers this time - I see Pub-Spy Sunday World visited Hanrahans & Spiders .

- Both got decent reviews

Think Jimmy needs to hire some of those Building Contractors he has as regulars :

1. A painter to cover up the smoky ceiling
    2. A cleaner to brush down the window blinds
    3. An electrician to re-wire one of the tv's to a new location .
    4. A carpenter to make some bar stools for the front bar
    5. A picture-framer - ( not a photo of the Kennedy's in sight )
    Sunday World very disappointed that no pub in New Ross have photographs of the Kennedy's

National Newspapers this time - I see Pub-Spy Sunday World visited Hanrahans & Spiders .

- Both got decent reviews

Think Jimmy needs to hire some of those Building Contractors he has as regulars :

1. A painter to cover up the smoky ceiling
    2. A cleaner to brush down the window blinds
    3. An electrician to re-wire one of the tv's to a new location .
    4. A carpenter to make some bar stools for the front bar
    5. A picture-framer - ( not a photo of the Kennedy's in sight )
    Sunday World very disappointed that no pub in New Ross have photographs of the Kennedy's

Could you scan in the article? sorry it's just i dont have the sunday world.

• Advertisement

SKMBT_C22011041115000.jpg

SKMBT_C22011041115020.jpg

thanks for that.

I don't think Spider will be happy that Jimmy got a better rating than him! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

"We encountered a sort of maze as we headed for the toilets"

That's my favourite bit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I got lost once coming out of the toilets in Spiders.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

TheChevron wrote: »
    I got lost once coming out of the toilets in Spiders.:D
    The first time I went there I was so confused trying to find my way back. The intoxication didn't help either!

Aoifey! wrote: »
    "We encountered a sort of maze as we headed for the toilets"

That's my favourite bit :p

yea I lol'd myself when I read that.

is it not obvious that Jimmy has the 2 TV's in the front for different racing like? ha

This week's NR Standard:
    (Sorry for the delay)

Truck Overturned and blocked O' Hanrahan Bridge in New Ross for 2 hours monday morning. 5 mile tailbacks reported.

Not much else if I'm honest.

NOTE: The price comparison on waste companies in the NR Standard is wrong, I know this because I signed up with wastepal last week for a certain amount, but the paper is saying it costs about 60 or 70 euro more than it actually is. it says rural fees is for anywhere outside wexford town, but it is actually for outside any town or village etc according to the website.

Delighted to hear that we have CCTV on the quay , - It may be only temperory but badly needed.

Imagine the Town Council installed 9 cameras in strategic locations throughout the town last year , but they did not deem it necessary to install a camera to cover the quay.

The busiest area of all .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Delighted to hear that we have CCTV on the quay , - It may be only temperory but badly needed.

Imagine the Town Council installed 9 cameras in strategic locations throughout the town last year , but they did not deem it necessary to install a camera to cover the quay.

The busiest area of all .

+ 1. I think the CCTV are a great idea. Friend of mine was assaulted in an unprovoked attack a few years ago standing outside a chipper - culprit ran off and never caught. :rolleyes: Pity the CCTV weren't in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

The "highlight" of this weeks local paper is Wexford's Councillors looking to "broaden their revenue base". They're calling for new taxes to be introduced, such as water charges and property tax.

They should fook right off with that idea.

Here's the story, unfortunately you gotta pay for it......

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/premium/news/read-our-lips-we-want-new-taxes-2626422.html

• Advertisement

They may be feeling the pinch , with petrol / diesel prices gone through the roof.

Maybe their travelling expenses are in negative equity .

Of course our local councillors will tell us that taxes are only been broadened and not increasing .

But I agree with the last poster - eff off now .

Just if anyone is interested, Im going to revive this thread starting Tuesday night or Wednesday morning after I get a gawk at the NR Standard

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Just if anyone is interested, Im going to revive this thread starting Tuesday night or Wednesday morning after I get a gawk at the NR Standard

A brilliant Idea. I couldn't remember the name of this thread to try and revive it

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

I repeat....
    patff wrote: »

They should fook right off with that idea.

Great to be back to doing this again!

This week in the New Ross Standard:
    The front page leads with the heartbreaking story of Grainne Keevans who lost her life in a crash on the Waterford road in a head on collision with an articulated truck.

There is an article about the submissions of ideas for the Market House, Gorey's former council chamber. The most popular submission being from Harry Crosbie, the owner of Vicar St, who wants to turn it into 'Vicar Street South'.

Gardai are looking for info on a burned out car found in Glenmore.

Ciaran Folan, a New Ross Garda is being accused of making false allowance claims worth 3,000 euro.

John Murphy has been found guilty of running a Shebeen in Saltmills.

Wexford Creamery has teamed up with Largo Foods to produce 'King Gold Standard Wexford Cheddar and Spring Onion Crisps', which I will be watching for!

On pages 22 and 23 there is an interview Shea Tomkins conducted with Michael Stafford, AKA Maverick Sabre, which is well worth a read if you can get to it.

That's basically all that's worth mentioning here in the NR Standard this week.

Next Weeks New Ross Standard :
    • Tuesday 21st February - massive 5 hour demonstration against the Household Charge outside Tholsel..............Councillors and Politicians jeered and heckled leaving Council Chambers .
    • Tuesday 21st February - Downtown New Ross in darkness once again..................Mary St - Barrack Lane - Michael St areas completely in blackness .

Next Weeks New Ross Standard :
    • Tuesday 21st February - massive 5 hour demonstration against the Household Charge outside Tholsel..............Councillors and Politicians jeered and heckled leaving Council Chambers .
    • Tuesday 21st February - Downtown New Ross in darkness once again..................Mary St - Barrack Lane - Michael St areas completely in blackness .

I didn't know about that demonstration at all. Jesus I must go round with my eyes closed.

Most of the town is in darkness tonight. Its going beyond beyond a joke.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Lads I have stickied this thread as I think its a great Idea. I see New Ross is been covered already. Can we get some people from Gorey, Enniscorthy and Wexford to get involved as well.

scaller wrote: »
    Lads I have stickied this thread as I think its a great Idea. I see New Ross is been covered already. Can we get some people from Gorey, Enniscorthy and Wexford to get involved as well.

Thanks so much man. I have to admit though, I got the idea originally from the waterford city thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wexford Creamery has teamed up with Largo Foods to produce 'King Gold Standard Wexford Cheddar and Spring Onion Crisps', which I will be watching for!

They are already out in the shops - Gold Bag ! They are handmade crisps and are retailing at 0.95 cent per bag :eek: nice though ;)

Advertisement