Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Europe is going American

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

fontanalis wrote: »
    If some manky fast food can make someone lose their identity then there wasn't much identity to begin with. Irish identity is for the Irish to lose, nothing is being forced on anyone.
    Overheal wrote: »
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=mcdonalds&aq=&sll=48.873522,2.296228&sspn=0.039912,0.132093&ie=UTF8&hq=mcdonalds&hnear=&ll=48.870925,2.305326&spn=0.039914,0.132093&z=14

At least 13 of which are plainly visible from the Arc. I checked when I was there, because it was kinda weirding me out.

You can look at this one of two ways though: OMG American culture is taking over ze world

or

Oh wait, the French are still French and you even just said they still have a strong cultural identity in spite of saturated access to Le Big Mac and McFlurrys

He was not taking about McDonalds, he was talking about culture in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

rocco. wrote: »
    This guy for real? next we'l have them toasters and them bins with the wheels, jaysus.

you took that completely the wrong way Im not complaining about it, just pointing out what seems to be a huge push in American brands over here at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

lcrcboy wrote: »
    you took that completely the wrong way Im not complaining about it, just pointing out what seems to be a huge push in American brands over here at the moment

you keep using the word 'push'. if the stuff wasn't selling they wouldn't stock it. simple as that.

you keep using the word 'push'. if the stuff wasn't selling they wouldn't stock it. simple as that.

Well we cant say its really selling yet can we??, they must only be on the shelves a few months so there for the companies are not going off already existing sale figures here, but instead predicted sale figures, so it is a push, whether it works out or not Im not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭this is arse

bonerm wrote: »
    Word!

Excel!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    He was not taking about McDonalds, he was talking about culture in general.

What about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

^^ he thinks its a swell idea:

they should definitely get some

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The traditional Turkey and Ham Dinner at Christmas is supposed to be from the US of A as well, so I heard...and going out for Trick and Treat On Halloween

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Didn't the whole dressing up for Halloween thing spread from Ireland to America :)

• Advertisement

What about it?

We have lost our own culture and replaced it with America's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rocco.

Not atall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Who replaced it?
    The complaint here seems to be about big bad American shops destroying Ireland. Why don't people talk about irish indifference to their culture? After all plenty of people have a fondness for mocking Americas lack of culture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

pepsi, who own mountain dew will be officially launching Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Code Red, Mug's Root Beer and another drink I can't remember, in the UK in late spring with a pretty big advertisement push.

I like Mugs so this pleases me...

Reices and hersheys stuff has been sold in loads of shops for years now. I know most news agents in Galway stock them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    American sweets are manky. In fact their food isnt the best in general.

Hersheys is manck and a lot of food you get in supermarkets is sh1te outside of Trader Joes and Wholefoods.

But to be fair restaurants in the US are of a very high standard across the board. Even the bars who serve food are of a very high standard, 100X better than the carvery crap you get in bars back home.

Hazys wrote: »
    Hersheys is manck and a lot of food you get in supermarkets is sh1te outside of Trader Joes and Wholefoods.

But to be fair restaurants in the US are of a very high standard across the board. Even the bars who serve food are of a very high standard, 100X better than the carvery crap you get in bars back home.

Except for burgers.
    I have never had a good burger in a bar in the US... It makes me sad.

Yey for in'n'out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Who replaced it?
    The complaint here seems to be about big bad American shops destroying Ireland. Why don't people talk about irish indifference to their culture? After all plenty of people have a fondness for mocking Americas lack of culture.

The irony of that always hit me. American culture is just so prevalent everyone assumes its part of their own, or just the way things are.

@ the original poster - our style of clothes, music, nearly any entertainment media, technology, news agenda and cultural reference points have for decades almost entirelly come from the states. You probably just think of these other things as more "American" because you know they were in America for so long before they came over.

Also, their chocolate is god awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Hazys wrote: »

I concur

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Link to the story from the BBC about the NBA matches for those interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12635781

You do realize that the top European football clubs tour the United States in the summer to sell their brand name too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I love America, I love American beer (the micro brew kind not Miller, Coors and all that crap). I love the food in America (except the large fast food giants).

Their chocolate is absolute muck. I would not feed it to a pig. If you are ever in the US pick up something we both have like Kit Kat and be prepared for a punch in the face the difference in chocolate quality is so huge.

Whenever I go to the US I almost never eat any chocolate or sweets but I do love their savoury snacks etc.

• Advertisement

Who replaced it?

Its been slowly eroded over the past 100 years by the Irish and by the colonisation before hand.

I don't think American globalization has anything to do with it for the record, you are correct in your assertion of Irish indifference to our own culture.

America has a great cultural heritage however in these modern times it is overshadowed by the more modern trends and fads.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Old news at this stage, sure half of the teenage population of Ireland have quasi-American accents regardless of their background.

Seaneh wrote: »
    pepsi, who own mountain dew will be officially launching Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Code Red, Mug's Root Beer and another drink I can't remember, in the UK in late spring with a pretty big advertisement push.

I like Mugs so this pleases me...

Reices and hersheys stuff has been sold in loads of shops for years now. I know most news agents in Galway stock them anyway.

Damm didn't realize they were going to be releasing root beer here,I love the stuff and is one thing I miss about the States :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Old news at this stage, sure half of the teenage population of Ireland have quasi-American accents regardless of their background.

yes, and it is a sad thing.

Damm didn't realize they were going to be releasing root beer here,I love the stuff and is one thing I miss about the States :D

Well, it might not happen. They talk about releasing mugs and mountain dew every Couple of years since they bought them but nothing ever comes of it.

I personally love root beer so I hope it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

I yearn for Cheez-Its. The American cheesy snack goodness that Ritz Crackers only wish they could be..!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

I was in town the other day and noticed reeses peanut butter cupcakes on sale and mountain dew, and when I was up in Dublin the same thing, a few months back its was the same when I was over in the UK, Cadburys has been taken over by craft and now the NBA will be holding some of their games in London. Has this been going on for a long time or are the Americans really trying to push their brands at the moment into the European market.

Link to the story from the BBC about the NBA matches for those interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12635781

What shop sells mountain dew i love that stuff?

What shop sells mountain dew i love that stuff?

The filipino shop on abbey street has it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

They are an empire, militarily and culturally.

we need to push back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭SeanW

Seaneh wrote: »
    The filipino shop on abbey street has it...
    There's one on Capel St. too - the stuff they have is imported from the Phillipines.

Advertisement