Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting or Chemistry?

• 17-03-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi, I'm in transition year at the moment and our leaving cert subject choices have to be submitted in a few days.

I can't choose between accounting and chemistry! I really enjoy accounting and I got an A in JC business, but I know I won't use it after school. I don't like chemistry as much but I am hoping to pursue a career in something sciencey.

Is there anyone who does both subjects that can let me know which is easier/better? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

I was in the exact same position as you this time last year and I decided to pick Chemistry.
    I was happy that I did pick chemistry as it is very interesting and not really hard. It's very boring at first but once you get into it, it's very interesting and very doable.
    I would choose chemistry again if I were in the same position as I was last year.

Good luck choosing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

It's a slightly hard question, obviously Chemistry is probably the most useful science to have if you want to pursue something sciency and nothing having it tends to close a lot of doors (medicine, dentistry and a few others if you happen to be considering any of those!) and not having accounting doesn't really have the same effect (you can still go into even an accounting degree without accounting, though it'd be seriously hard but it's possible!) as a LC subject I can only talk about Chemistry myself as I gave up business after I finished 1st year! I personally love it, I used always do worst in it of the 3 sciences for JC, but LC chemistry is totally different to JC chemistry and it certainly suits me better! I don't think it's massively hard, once you grasp the concept it's quite doable, as opposed to something like geography where you have to rote learn off reams of notes for essays, so I find that an advantage to me. I would definitely recommend people to do chemistry, it along with physics I find get unwarranted bad reputations as the "hard" subjects, they're not as hard as people say they are!

However at the end of the day the main aim in the LC is to maximise your points so you might be best off going for something your very good! However I assume like most schools you can switch around after a week or 2 of 5th year if you don't like your subjects so you won't be totally locked into the subjects you choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I do both chemistry and accounting and I'd honestly advice you to keep chemistry on. I find accounting an extremely boring subject, and it's just really tedious work. Saying that, some people love it and find the subject really easy, as opposed to me finding it really tough! Chemistry wouldn't be my favourite subject, but I'd prefer it over accounting any day. If you are hoping to do something science after LC I'd say to choose chemistry again, as you may be doing chemistry in college, and having done it for LC would really help. But then again, I don't advice picking a subject you don't enjoy. :P Which ever subject you find more interesting, I'd choose.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I had a similar dilemma to you and I ended up doing accounting, dropping it and starting chemistry. In our school, both subjects are done outside of school, and I joined the accounting class but to be honest, it's very boring and unless you are willing to put in time to practice the layouts etc, it can be hard enough. It's not something you can just learn off and things like management accounting are very very boring. I started chemistry a bit into 5th year and it's easy enough. If you're good at maths and are able to use formulas etc it's very handy, a lot of the course is mathematically based so if you are good at maths it's a big help.

I got an A in JC Business too and tbh it's not too much use for LC Accounting. The theory helps a lot for JC and for the LC accounting you cant learn theory as a backup. Same with JC Chem vs LC Chem, the courses are very different.

I'd advise chemistry but it's dependent on what you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I do both and both are very doable. I like working with figures do I chose accounting instead of business. I find it actually quite easy. Yes it's hard at the beginning but once you get your head around it it becomes second nature. The parts to each question are usually the exact same every year. 20% get As at HL and it's all about practice really.
    Chemistry is fine too, I find. If you're wanting to do science then it would probably be a good idea but if you really don't want to do it then don't. A lot of people in my class fail but personally I find it generally okay once you get your head around the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Chemistry is one of my favourite subjects I would advise it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I do both and I love Chemistry but you've heard enough from that side, I'd just be echoing other sentiments but like a lot of people are saying they hate Accounting and find it boring when it really depends on the person. Do you like doing accounts? I find it somewhat enjoyable and a break from my other subjects, and there's very little theory to be learned - admittedly what you do have to learn is often a bit tedious (management accounting theory, dear god) but it comes in very small doses! The paper is also very predictable. Another thing, I study Accounting much less than any of my other subjects and I'd be a bit horrified not to get an A in it in the LC which is something to bear in mind, the workload isn't bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Chemistry is probably my favourite subject!

If you're looking to pursue science next year, do you have Biology and/or Physics? If not then Chemistry is a necessity and if you're thinking about going to a university for science some of them require two sciences so make sure you check that out!

I wouldn't let people talk you out of Chemistry because it's hard, it's not! Some of the concepts are difficult to grasp at first but once you get them it becomes easy to learn! If you're very good at accounting though, and you're looking to maximise points, then you could consider doing it instead as long as you won't need chemistry as a requirement to enter college after the Leaving Cert. Personally I would pick Chemistry any day though, it's way more fun (to me, maybe not to you!) and getting an A in it is very doable!

Advertisement