Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classical Studies?

• 15-03-2013 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

I'm in 3rd Year this year and we need to pick our LC subjects for next year. One of the new subjects my school's bringing in is Classical Studies and I'm thinking of doing it. Nobody's done it for JC so I don't think I'd be at a disadvantage in the class. I'm just wondering what the course and exam is like? Would it be easy to do well in, if you put in the work and is it a nice subject? Like exactly what does it entail? I can't really make heads or tails of the syllabus tbh! Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I don't do it but from what I've heard the syllabus is big ( a lot of learning ) and vague as in its harder to predict what to learn for the exam .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Unless you're extremely good at the likes of English/History and an extremely accomplished essay writer, stay well away.

I've been doing Classics since 1st year and the JC course was really enjoyable and interesting. But in the LC it's perhaps the hardest exam you can do at higher level. You have only 3 hours to write 6 essays (these need to be around 3/4 pages, like in English) and it requires extensive knowledge and study of the course. Answering questions on texts such as the Aeneid require specific answers, not like in English where if you can back up a point you make it's ok. Topics like architecture then require you to learn artistic terms and use them in your essays. Unless you can afford to devote much of your study to it id advise not picking it at LC level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Do it, its brilliant. I did it a few years ago before the course/questions were reduced and it was just a little too much but now its handy enough.

By no means is it the hardest subject... ignore above.

One of the most worthwhile subjects to do considering the great thinkers, writers and philosophers you will deal with - its an education about life in general.

Its very interesting, I suggest asking the teacher what they will teach because there is a lot of stuff they could pick from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

GRMA wrote: »
    Do it, its brilliant. I did it a few years ago before the course/questions were reduced and it was just a little too much but now its handy enough.

By no means is it the hardest subject... ignore above.

One of the most worthwhile subjects to do considering the great thinkers, writers and philosophers you will deal with - its an education about life in general.

Its very interesting, I suggest asking the teacher what they will teach because there is a lot of stuff they could pick from.

Whilst I agree it is very interesting and respect your opinion. It's not for everyone and it is difficult and the OP should note that ten per cent managed to get an A last year; a relatively low proportion when compared with other subjects. The Irish times even called it the 2nd hardest subject.

I'd encourage OP to give it a go if OP is prepared to do a lot of work and is very interested in the material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

shootie wrote: »
    Whilst I agree it is very interesting and respect your opinion. It's not for everyone and it is difficult and the OP should note that ten per cent managed to get an A last year; a relatively low proportion when compared with other subjects. The Irish times even called it the 2nd hardest subject.

I'd encourage OP to give it a go if OP is prepared to do a lot of work and is very interested in the material.
    Is that right? I got an A2 when I did it a few years ago and I've never been one to break my hole studying... must be a genius so lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Would not doing History be a disadvantage to me? My school are offering it as a subject to take during Religion or LCVP for those not doing it, so I would strictly be doing it as something to fill up my time and hopefully enjoy. I've looked at the course and it seems interesting. I'm a relatively good student and reckon I would enjoy learning about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Would not doing History be a disadvantage to me? My school are offering it as a subject to take during Religion or LCVP for those not doing it, so I would strictly be doing it as something to fill up my time and hopefully enjoy. I've looked at the course and it seems interesting. I'm a relatively good student and reckon I would enjoy learning about it.

Most schools do the modern course in LC History - I don't think it would be a disadvantage.

Advertisement