Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart - Android - €40 (+ €22.50 cashback till June 27th)

• 16-06-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭

EDIT2: Fatcheese now only offering €12.50 cashback
    Edit: Unexpiring, Both colours in stock for me at 20:18

Vodafone are after bringing out a new phone the Vodafone Smart (Huawei U8160). Its a PAYG android phone for €40 if you port your number over. Not a bad looking phone imo (other than the big chin)

vodaphone-smart-858-huawei-u8160.png

specs arent bad either:

Running Andorid 2.2
    Capacitive touch screen
    Wifi
    GPS
    1gb micro SD
    Can be rooted

Link to phone. N.B. Read the below and go to Vodafones website via fatcheese.ie!

Cant go wrong for €40. EDIT: To get the phone for €39.99 you need to click "Im thinking of switching to Vodafone"

NB at time of me writing this I can see no way of unlocking it for other networks

Also The only stable custom rom that I can see is a debranded vodafone one

At time of posting white one was out of stock online.

But it gets better. Fatcheese announced this evening that they are offering €20 cashback on any vodafone payg phone purchased off the vodafone website, making this phone €20 :eek:
    Down to €12.50 cashback

or if your that way inclined this [snip] earns you (and me) €0.50

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Not a bad spec phone at all for that price. Also has smaller features like a FM Radio and support for a 32GB Micro SD card which can come in handy. A quick Google suggests it's clocked at 528Mhz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

There is a bit of a review about it here. tl;dr Decent phone for the price (£60) not to be considered in the same league as top level androids. Woeful camera. A little sub par on web browsing due to low res screen.
    And for £60 you can’t complain too much. It’s kind of reassuring that newcomers on a budget are going to get a relatively decent phone that does at least tick most of the boxes and works well enough as an entry to Android. Just don’t think of it as an “upgrade” to anything else out there. It’s very much “entry level” Android for new smartphone users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Sweet! Thanks OP!

Looks like a great deal!

From the Fatcheese site;

"€20.00 cashback on Vodafone Prepaid FTC new connection or Prepaid Upgrade"

What is a FTC new connection?

Thinking of going for the offer now - would like to make sure I get the €20.00 cashback aswell though! ;)

Good question, i dont know!

On fatcheese main page though:
    Vodafone Ireland
    Thinking of switching to Vodafone? Keep your current Irish mobile number when switching to a Pay as you go phone and you can get the Vodafone Smart black for only €19.99 after your €20 saving with FatCheese!

So the offer defiantly applies to this phone!

Awh :(

"We're sorry, an error has occurred. Please review the error below
    There was a problem processing your order details, please try again later (DF-CO-01)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Thanks OP, just ordered one through your referral link. Got sons b/day coming up soon, looks ideal for him, thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jj73

Ruby_Woo wrote: »
    Awh :(

"We're sorry, an error has occurred. Please review the error below
    There was a problem processing your order details, please try again later (DF-CO-01)"

Got the same message, cleared my cache, history, and cookies. Ordered again, and it went through. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Could I pick up a free sim from any of the networks and not bother topping it up to use for this? Would be nice to avoid the networks that don't let you port without topping up by any amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

This is a grand phone for the price, vodafone/perlico fixed line customers can get 50 euros off. Got two vouchers with our recent bill, my Ma got it, a decent enough phone for 9.99:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,995 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sweet! Thanks OP!

Looks like a great deal!

From the Fatcheese site;

"€20.00 cashback on Vodafone Prepaid FTC new connection or Prepaid Upgrade"

Thinking of going for the offer now - would like to make sure I get the €20.00 cashback aswell though! ;)

First time connection maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭zu

available for 9.99 with voucher included in this month's Perlico bill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ordered using your referral OP. Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Not a bad looking yoke, but definately not the on the high or even mid-range of Android phones. With a Clock Speed of 528 MHz and only 256MB of RAM, you wouldnt want to be doing much other than calling texting and using basic apps.

Still, for that price, its pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

First Time Connection

jenno86 wrote: »
    First Time Connection

That does make sense on its own, but int eh context of the sentence it seems wierd
    Vodafone Prepaid First Time Connection new connection
    :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

DjFlin wrote: »
    Not a bad looking yoke, but definately not the on the high or even mid-range of Android phones. With a Clock Speed of 528 MHz and only 256MB of RAM, you wouldnt want to be doing much other than calling texting and using basic apps.

Still, for that price, its pretty nice.

To be fair, its a grand spec! Last year 256mb RAM would have been the norm. It should be grand. Considering the type of handset you'd usually get for 40 or less it seems good!

If you want a smart phone look elsewhere. LG optimus 7 is where its at! Check out the other bargain alerts thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

If you want a smart phone look elsewhere. LG optimus 7 is where its at! Check out the other bargain alerts thread!

Thats exactly what I've got, replaced my old Android with it, never looked back :D

Come on guys your comparing a phone that literally costs 10 times as much! Its not exactly ever going to compete with that!

Re: FTC Connection - with regards to getting the E20 cashback from Fatcheese

Sorry if this is glaringly obvious buuut...

Does this mean when getting a new connection in the sense that you're getting a brand new phone number, or does this include keeping your old number and porting over?

• Advertisement

SOLD OUT! Gah! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

SOLD OUT! Gah! :(

Try again I bought one half an hour ago and the order went through.

Just checked now and both black & white versions are still available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Hey guys, I just signed up to fatcheese to get this 20 cashback, however when I'm on the vodafone fatcheese website page and I click 'Get Cashback' it takes me directly to the Vodafone page, do I just continue with my order or how do I sign up for this €20 cash back?

Excuse the noob :o

Yeah, just continue with the sale, Fatcheese will know you clicked onto the Vodafone site through theirs - so just go ahead and order it, it may take a few weeks before you get confirmation of the money back though

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

Fatcheese is giving a 12.50 cashback according to http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/vodafone-ireland/

"€12.50 cashback on Vodafone Prepaid new connection or Prepaid Upgrade"

Could they have reduced the cashback amount since the original post?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Gonna buy this just to test my patience with touch screen. Normally a qwerty guy but for 40squid, why not? :D

edit - for some reason I cant find the phone for €40 anymore, only €59.95

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

What's this like for games like Angry Birds? Specifically looking to hear first hand experience from those who already have the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

biebiebie wrote: »
    What's this like for games like Angry Birds? Specifically looking to hear first hand experience from those who already have the phone.

Truthfully all though I don't have the phone I can tell you now it will be pretty much unplayable.

I've updated the OP with some of the questions you have had guys.

Cashback: Yes cashback has been reduced since yesterday

€40: Click "Thinking of switching to vodafone" after you hit the buy button to get it for €40

Angry Birds: I dont have the phone yet but the review I linked to earlier suggested that it was playable but slowed down during "Physicsy" things (i guess towers falling)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

Much of an upgrade from a SE K750i?

Advertisement