Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bird ID please

• 27-09-2009 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

This little fella kept me company for a while yesterday while i was out ploughing, he was shy enough, I couldn't get really close (the pics are quite heavily cropped).

4ABAA650D3D242F99FC04249AD2E0379-800.jpg

E3256E0867134531995F0A60B0C92FF7-800.jpg

He has a distinctive white rump visible while he is flying (like a bullfinch), in size bigger than a robin, or most of the finches but not nearly as big as a thrush or blackbird.

I'd love to know what it is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

tricky D wrote: »

Cheers, the fact that it was in a wheat field might have been a clue;)

I did have a look through the RSPB birdfinder, but the illustration on the wheatear page threw me off, never noticed the link to the second illustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Nice pictures even if you did have to crop them.

Edit> Groan.... a wheatear, in a wheat field, in a cropped photograph..... sorry ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Anaya Fresh Molasses

Just for info and sorry for spiling the puns.:p

The name Wheatear has nothing to do with Wheat. It comes from old english for White Arse.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Lovely bird never saw one of them before...

thanks for that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just for info and sorry for spiling the puns.:p

The name Wheatear has nothing to do with Wheat. It comes from old english for White Arse.

A good descriptive name.....

artieanna wrote: »
    Lovely bird never saw one of them before...

thanks for that..

I'm mildly ashamed to say I probably have and never known the difference from the more normal regulars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

That second photo is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

The wheatear was on migration, which is why he probably turned up in your field...

Advertisement