Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whale Watching

• 08-07-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

planning to go on a daytrip on a boat whale watching in west cork this month. one boat owner who had no availabilty on the date i wanted told me there were no whales about at the moment anyway i was wasting my time.

yet he is booked up i take it he doesn't tell the people he has space for this. was he just turning me off going elsewhere or am i really better off waiting till the autumn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

I'd like to resurrect this thread, as I'm thinking about taking a Whale-Watching trip this Autumn myself. Has anybody gone out on an official whale-watch from West Cork (or anywhere) before? How did it go?

I did a dolphin trip from Kilrush last year and it was very good. You're pretty much guaranteed sightings, but I imagine on a whale-watch you would need to be prepared for the likelihood of a no-show. Anybody got any kind of stats on the probability of a sighting?

I will ring around the few fellas that run them, but it would be good to get some independent views from other punters ....

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

I was on one saturday 18th july with west cork whale watch a guy called Nic Slocum, lovely guy very friendly and helpful. we went from baltimore and stopped at cape clare island for a spot of lunch. were out 5 hours in total including the stop, was 50 euro a head and we had pretty much went prepared not to get a sighting. he was really helpful on the phone and email and told me straight out we wouldn't be guarenteed etc esp at this time of year he said sept/oct would be better. we phoned another westcork operator first and he said he was booked out for the dates we wanted but we shouldn't bother going out now coz there are no whales to be seen, he then offered to book us in for the autumn. i somewhat question his motives there and doubt he told the people who had him booked out the same story. so we went with nic accepted the sightings may not come had a great time anyway on the boat just enjoying the scenery and the water and half hour or so before the end we hit the jackpot and found a minky and her calf. was fantastic to see, gave up trying to get god photos after nic said he had one in 25 years of trying so i just enjoyed the experience, saw some porposes and a seal also but was delighted with the whales and will go back in october maybe to see some big'ns.

http://www.whalewatchwestcork.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Calvin141170

Whale watching off West Cork is among the best I've experienced anywhere in the world.

You get minke whales and common dolphins all year round, but the big whales -- the fin whales and the humpbacks -- are seasonal and the best time to go out is autumn / early winter.

I suspect the operator who was telling you there were few whales around was Colin Barnes -- who happened to be telling the truth. Autumn really is the best time to go, and Colin probably said exactly the same thing to the people already booked on the dates you wanted to go.

I've been out with both Colin and Nic Slocum from Reen Pier in Union Hall, and both are excellent. I've posted links to the two best trips I've been on (both coincidentally on Colin's boat) above. I'd advise keeping an eye on the sightings database on the Irish Whale and Dolphin Group's site, and booking on a trip when you know whales are being seen consistently in the area between the Old Head of Kinsale and Baltimore.

You can find details of both Colin Barnes and Nic Slocum's operation online.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Re-activating this thread as it's the season.
    Does anybody have a recommendation of a whale watching boat operrtor in Kerry ?
    I'd rather not have to go to West Cork.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Connacht, when are you looking to go? I'm hoping to go out with Kerry Marine Tours this weekend, but he needs to reach a minimum number of punters to sail.

http://www.kerrymarinetours.com

PM me if you like.

/M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 tonyoc_1

Also, does anyone know of any tours operating out of the southeast? Sorry Manuel, Kerry is too far !

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

tonyoc_1 wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know of any tours operating out of the southeast? Sorry Manuel, Kerry is too far !

See the IWDG sightings section:
    http://www.iwdg.ie/iscope/sightings/default.asp?dataset=sightings&county=&species=&resultsFormat=map&search1=Search

Sorry Tony, there are no whale sightings recorded in the South-East as far as I can see. Not to say they're not ever there, but I don't think there are enough of them to make whale-watching a worthwhile endeavour! The whales are on the West and in particular South West coasts! They can't be easily moved so you'll have to go there if you want to see them. :p

I've been out with Nic Slocum and Colin Barnes and they are both very decent and friendly guys, same make/model boat, same territory. I get the impression they don't get on well though funnily enough. To be honest, I think Colin Barnes is the better whale finder.

Saw no whales with Nic (it was a pleasant trip with plenty of birds & seals, etc all the same) and loads of whales with Colin (fins, humpbacks and minky's and hundreds of dolphins!), but that's just one person's experience. Other people may have had the opposite!

So, get out there and see some whales!! It's a fantastic experience for the paltry sum of €50... We really do have some of the richest whale-watching waters in the world. Most people don't know that!

Best of luck!

I'm going out with Nic Slocum again saturday. we saw 2 Minkys in July with himand hoping to see some big'ns this time round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭dave999

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    See the IWDG sightings section:
    http://www.iwdg.ie/iscope/sightings/default.asp?dataset=sightings&county=&species=&resultsFormat=map&search1=Search

Sorry Tony, there are no whale sightings recorded in the South-East as far as I can see. Not to say they're not ever there, but I don't think there are enough of them to make whale-watching a worthwhile endeavour! The whales are on the West and in particular South West coasts! They can't be easily moved so you'll have to go there if you want to see them. :p

Extract from Chris Wilsons Gaggle newsletter for WNFC (the Wexford Slobs Nature Club)

"MAMMALS: 20 Common Dolphins were noted near the Saltee Islands on 9th. On the cetacean survey out of Rosslare Harbour on 26th, 85 Common Dolphin, 4 Harbour Porpoise and 10 Risso’s Dolphin were noted (the Risso’s Dolphins were playing around Tuskar Rock). 2 ‘large’ Whales noted at Hook Head on 27th. There were 7 Common Seals in Wexford Harbour on 19th.

The whole nesletter here:
    http://www.wexfordnaturalists.com/gaggle.php

I wasn't suggesting that no whales are ever seen off the South East coast. Whales have been spotted from such unlikely locations as Dublin bay. My point is, one or two exceptional sightings, while very exciting and interesting, does not make for a very effective whale-watching location.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭dave999

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting that no whales are ever seen off the South East coast. Whales have been spotted from such unlikely locations as Dublin bay. My point is, one or two exceptional sightings, while very exciting and interesting, does not make for a very effective whale-watching location.

I thought I was being helpful to those that are interested. Sorry if you have taken it the wrong way, maybe I'll not bother next time.

dave999 wrote: »
    I thought I was being helpful to those that are interested. Sorry if you have taken it the wrong way, maybe I'll not bother next time.

Please do bother next time. I am as interested as anyone in hearing about whale sightings.

I was also trying to be helpful in pointing out to tonyoc_01 that if he really wants a good chance to see whales, he should go West. Perhaps we have misunderstood each other :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tonyoc_1

thanks guys, I'm actually heading west in a couple of weeks so I might try and get out on a trip. thanks !

I was out on saturday again with Nic Slocum had a great day. Saw a bunck of seals, 3 or 4 minkes and countless dolphins. the dolphins were the highlight as 3 different groups came in and rode the bow wave of the boat. there was between 15 and 25 i'd say at a time, they were all around the boat and were quite a sight. Pity the Fins have not settled yet maybe another trip later in the year

Advertisement