Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thoughts On Fixies...

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Vitamin C wrote: »

I notice they're becoming a lot more popular of late too...is there any reason for this?

Great article on "hipsters" might answer part of your question.
    http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

cL0h wrote: »
    Great article on "hipsters" might answer part of your question.
    http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

That article is the stupidest thing Adbusters have ever printed (and thats saying a lot). For years they bitched and moaned about people driving and not cycling, and how people were scum because they didnt buy ethical products. Then when people actually do it (in the case of this article, fixed gear bikes and american apparel products [clothing is manufactured in Los Angeles where workers are paid fair enough wages for a menial job]) they heap scorn on them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Just back from a few days work in London. I never understood the fixie thing I have to say. But having seen them in London I sort of get it. Never in my life saw so many bikes.

At commuting time around the city, there were almost as many bikes as cars. Fixies/SS everywhere, a lot of which were very stylish. Almost like a gigantic catwalk, except for middle aged bankers and brokers on bikes.

But almost everyone has similar style - brooks saddle, brown leather handlebar tape and the upturned (cutoff) bar ends (are these bullhorns - they look like the horns of a bull). It just seems that it is largely a fashion thing, to be on a fixie that is.

Interesting I did not notice one bike that DID NOT have a light. Very different to Dublin in that respect. Also, whereby the lycra clad commuting cyclist is in the minority in Dublin, I would say that lycra is highly prevalent in London.

Fixies - just a fashion fad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

flickerx wrote: »
    That article is the stupidest thing Adbusters have ever printed (and thats saying a lot). For years they bitched and moaned about people driving and not cycling, and how people were scum because they didnt buy ethical products. Then when people actually do it (in the case of this article, fixed gear bikes and american apparel products [clothing is manufactured in Los Angeles where workers are paid fair enough wages for a menial job]) they heap scorn on them anyway.

They are not ragging on bicycles, just fixed gear ones.

(As for clothing choice though it's off topic I hope American Apparel stay abreast of the latest skinny jeans, keffiyah (PLO scarf) fashions because as soon as they don't its back to sweat shop threads for most fashionistas.
    As long as they accessorize well with their transport choice of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

cL0h wrote: »
    They are not ragging on bicycles, just fixed gear ones.

Yeah, and as a magazine thats constantly calling for less dependency on oil, what logic does that make? Everyone, please ride bicycles - except fixed gear bikes? Thats just incredibly stupid.

That magazine ceased to be relevant years ago anyway. There's only so many times you can print articles about how messed up the world before it becomes insanely boring and repetitive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

did it not occur to anyone that some people just enjoy riding fixies?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

dont be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 crown of storms

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I must say I'm really enjoying my Fixie. I don't get the "one with the bike" feeling or anything else for that matter, I just think it's good craic and really like cycling it. I only changed from freewheel recently but I've no plans to change back.

Advertisement