Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

List of things to do - Weddings

• 03-07-2006 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey there,
    My friend is getting married next year and i am going to be her bridesmaid. She doesn't really know where to start with all the preparations at this point, what needs to be sorted out now and what can wait till later.

It would be really great to get some suggestions from others what needs to be done now with a year to go, and also any good websites with info on weddings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

I got married about 12 months ago.
    To be honest - once you have a church & a place to party afterwards then the rest of the day just kinda falls into place.

I still have contact details for our band / D.J. & Photographer if your friend is interested - The photographer in particular I could not praise enough. He was simply amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

From an email I sent someone:

At least 1 year in advance:

1) Choose a church and date, call the parish house to confirm. If it's a popular church, you'll want to have it booked at least a year in advance.

2) Ask the priest to perform the wedding. If you are choosing a priest from a different parish to the church, expect to pay extra, and pay for a B&B for the night.

3) Arrange a venue for the afters. Shop around, and don't mention the fact that it's for a wedding, or they'll automatically charge more. Ask for what you want, for example a 3 course meal for 150 people, with a drinks reception. Once they quote you a price you can tell them that it's your wedding.

4) Book your pre-marriage course. Accord have a 6 month waiting list for some areas. http://accord.ie will tell you all local courses and some general info. It costs €180 per couple. o_o You'll want to book one for at least 6ish months before the wedding.

5) Book your band for the reception! You wouldn't believe how far ahead most are booked.

8 months in advance:

1) Think about invitations. Get a list of all the adresses. You may need to book accomodation for people travelling to the wedding.

2) Post your banns! This site: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/relationships/marriage/registration_of_marriage.html has a pdf form you can download, and a link to a list of registrars. Your priest will tell you where you need to register it. It's basically just a simple form that you both fill out and sign, stating where and when the wedding will take place and your names/ages.

3) If you're getting your dress made as opposed to buying off the rack, your dressmaker will need at least 6 months generally.

6 months in advance:

1) You need to get your church papers done. This can only be done within 6 months of the wedding date to try and counteract bigamy. (I don't really get it either, especially if you've been engaged to one person for years) This involves calling the church where you were baptised, and getting your baptismal and confirmation certs from them. Even if you had your confirmation in a different church, they always send all your Catholic files back to your baptismal church. You need to get your respective parish priests, or family priests, to fill out all the permission to marry forms. Typically, one of these is the priest that will marry you, so he'll be letting you know what to do anyway.

2) When you have your pre-marriage cert, church papers, and banns sent, the priest performing the ceremony will want to see you again to fill out a 'suitablity to marry' form (basically a formality, it'll only ever be used again if you want an annulment) and to discuss which readings/psalms you want etc. Typically, if this is the priest doing one of your 'freedom to marry' papers you can get it all done at the one time.

3) Send invites. Ask for cash instead of a gift list, most people prefer to give/recieve moneh.

General:

Flowers. Bouquets, church flowers, centrepieces for the reception.

People to say readings/ be ushers/ prayers of the faithful. Bridesmaid/best man.

Church music. Organist/ flautist/ singer.

Cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I still have all the stuff from sorting my wedding. The thing that amazed me the most was the difference of prices offered by photographers! Most had minimum stays and such which is the case in a lot of weddings I guess, mine was small and about 2 1/2 hours long in total (ceremony and chatting/eating afterwards). I got married in the US, so if anyone has any questions about the legality of that let me know and I'll try to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

A bit of a long list for you but it should cover everything.

Six to Twelve Months Before

Select engagement ring with fiancé, if not already done so.

Select a wedding date and time.

Make a preliminary budget.

Reserve your ceremony and reception location.

Determine who will officiate at the ceremony.

Hire a wedding consultant, if you plan to use one.

Start compiling names and addresses of guests.

Select bridal and groom attendants.

Plan reception.

Check catering facilities, if at a club or hotel.

Select a caterer, if one is necessary

Select a professional photographer and video photographer.

Select a professional florist.

Select your dress and headpiece.

Announce your engagement in the newspaper

Select bridesmaids’ dresses.

Four Months Before

Make final arrangements for ceremony (deposits should be paid, contracts signed)

Make sure all bridal attire is ordered.

Have both mothers coordinate and select their dresses.

Register at a bridal registry in the towns of both families.

Order invitations and personal stationary.

Complete the guest lists and compile them in order.

Select the men’s wedding attire and reserve the right sizes.

Check requirements for blood test and marriage license in your area.

Make appointment for physical exam.

Shop for wedding rings.

Start planning the honeymoon.

Two Months Before

Address invitations and announcements. They should be mailed 4 to 6 weeks before wedding.

Finalize all details with caterer, photographer, florist, reception hall manager, musicians, etc…...

Order wedding cake, if not supplied by caterer.

Finalize the ceremony details with officiate.

Make rehearsal arrangements.

Plan rehearsal dinner.

Make appointments with hairdresser.

Make accommodation list for out-of-town attendants or guests.

Finalize the honeymoon plans.

One Month Before

Have final fitting for your bridal attendants’ gowns.

Make transportation arrangements for wedding day.

Purchase gifts for attendants.

Purchase gift for fiancé, if gifts are being exchanged.

Have the bridesmaids’ luncheon/Hen Party

Purchase going away outfit.

Keep a careful record of all gifts received in the notes section (write thank you notes immediately instead of letting them pile up).

Make sure you have all accessories, toasting goblets, ring pillow, garter, candles, etc.

Select responsible person to handle guest book and determine its location.

Two Weeks Before

Attend to business and legal details. Get necessary forms to change names on tax, drivers license, insurance and medical plans, bank accounts; make a will.

Prepare wedding announcements to be sent to newspaper.

Reconfirm the accommodations for out-of-town guests.

Arrange to have possessions and gifts moved to your new home.

Give a change-of-address card to the post office.

Finish addressing announcements to be mailed on the wedding day.

One Week Before

Contact guests who have not responded.

Give a final count to the caterer and review details.

Go over final details with all professional services you have engaged. Inform them of any changes.

Give photographer the list of pictures you want taken.

Give the video photographer a list of shots you would like included in the video.

Give all musicians the lists of music for the ceremony and reception.

Plan the seating arrangements.

Arrange for someone to assist with last minute errands and to help you dress.

Practice having your hair done to make sure it comes out properly, and determine the time it will take to have done.

Practice using your make-up in the same type of lighting you will have on the wedding day.

Keep up with the writing of your thank-you notes.

Pack your suitcase for the honeymoon.

Make sure you have your marriage license.

Have speech ready.

Make sure you have the wedding rings, and that they fit properly.

Make sure all wedding attire is picked up and fits.

Have a rehearsal with all participants, reviewing their duties.

Attend rehearsal dinner party. Stay calm and have fun!!!

Stay with family the night before the wedding. Go to bed early. You will want to look your best and feel great the next day…

On Your Wedding Day

Be sure to eat something. You have a big, exciting day ahead, and many brides have been known to faint.

Take a relaxing bath.

Fix hair or have an appointment to have it done at least 3 to 4 hours before the ceremony.

Make sure nails are done. Allow plenty of time to apply make-up.

Have all accessories together.

Start dressing one to one and half hours before the ceremony. If pictures are being taken before the ceremony, then have yourself and attendants ready approx. two hours before the ceremony (photographer and bridal attendants should arrive forty-five minutes to an hour before the ceremony for pictures)

Relax and enjoy your day.

After The Wedding

Send announcement and wedding picture to newspaper.

Mail announcements.

Write and mail thank-you notes.

Enjoy the rest of your life together.

The Knot is a great place to get organised and keep a list of things that you need to get done. I think it gives a timeline of when certain things should be done to keep you on track. We used it for our last wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 maeve49

Thanks a million for all your replies, they have been really helpful. Hope you are all enjoying married life, we can now get started on making our list.

Thanks again:D

maeve49 wrote:
    Thanks a million for all your replies, they have been really helpful. Hope you are all enjoying married life, we can now get started on making our list.

Thanks again:D

Dont worry if it gets stressful either, I remember mine.:mad: Remember to take some timeout a day or two before the wedding, get yourself a massage or something and on the day remember what its all about.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

There's a really good book written by a former B2B called "The Irish Bride's Survival Guide" - contains absolutely everything you need to plan a wedding & keep sane (I should know... the author is a friend of mine & I was one of the contributors!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

We found this to be a handy checklist, includes some stress-relieving elements that most lists leave out:

http://www.goingbridal.com/etc/wedding_crap.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

babaduck wrote:
    There's a really good book written by a former B2B called "The Irish Bride's Survival Guide" - contains absolutely everything you need to plan a wedding & keep sane (I should know... the author is a friend of mine & I was one of the contributors!!)

Congratulations babaduck, I reckon you were part of the production of one hell of a useful an informative book.

Girls (and guys) get this book, it is great!!
    There is even a very funny chapter at then end which explains why guys may not seem to be as "into" the whole wedding thing as girls.

They just don't really care whether your shoes look "too strappy" or not :)
    Thought the book was full of humour and a pleasure to read.
    I'm reading it again ... (and again ..).

BTW - I am not related to the author in any way .. at all .. just pushing a book that is worth its weight in gold! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Does anyone have a checklist for a RC Irish elopment that will happen within the next 3-4 months - we both are crazy about one another but the big wedding thing drove us batty.

Getting date off church, have forms which will be sending in, we did the premarriage course before so I hope that is still valid (did it in February).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Register at a bridal registry in the towns of both families.

Check requirements for blood test and marriage license in your area.

Make appointment for physical exam.

Oh lord, I'm so clueless! What's a bridal registry and why do we need blood tests and physical exams before the wedding? :confused:

fozzle wrote:
    Oh lord, I'm so clueless! What's a bridal registry and why do we need blood tests and physical exams before the wedding? :confused:
    I think that the blood tests are for the US and I guess that a bridal registry may be a gift list...still, looking at the lists is making me panic too as I am getting married in just over 7 weeks and we do not even have the priest finallized yet (we are having 10 people max at our wedding though).

An important thing that was mentioned earlier was getting a massage closer to the time of the wedding, book them a month or 2 before so that you have something to look forward to and breath deeply every time you get stressed over the wedding preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Thanks Cathy, that's calmed me a little. :) Think I might leave all the arrangements to my fiancee and I'll just get lots and lots of massages...

I thought you'd gotten the church and priest, poor you, I hope the organisation (and your treatment) goes well.

fozzle wrote:
    Thanks Cathy, that's calmed me a little. :) Think I might leave all the arrangements to my fiancee and I'll just get lots and lots of massages...

I thought you'd gotten the church and priest, poor you, I hope the organisation (and your treatment) goes well.
    We will get married somehow...poor Shane, am dumping a lot of the organising on him! I actually get free yoga lessons in my cancer supprt centre but I think that they may be of more use for pre-marriage stress!

The honeymoon, now that is something to plan. Hoping to get my papers done tomorrow and beg the local priest to marry us, if we have to change venue, so be it.

This time of year you have to allow more time to get the cake sorted, was told that we had to get it sorted this weekend for our end of December wedding. Hope that this helps for any December brides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

CathyMoran wrote:
    I think that the blood tests are for the US
    every US state has different rules. We got married in Washington State last July and we did have to sign a form declaring any long-term medical conditions such as untreatable STD's. Nobody wanted a blood test though.

Some notes on Wedding Photographers:

- book yours as early as possible as especially during the summer months, the best people get booked up rather quickly

- meet with your photographer before booking them. if you both don't get on with them, they probably aren't the person you want at your wedding

- book the date & location before booking a photographer.

- browse through various photographers websites to see the kind of styles of photography there are and print out samples of things you like and things you don't like to show your photographer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭llester

maeve49 wrote:
    Hey there,
    My friend is getting married next year and i am going to be her bridesmaid. She doesn't really know where to start with all the preparations at this point, what needs to be sorted out now and what can wait till later.

It would be really great to get some suggestions from others what needs to be done now with a year to go, and also any good websites with info on weddings.

First things first, if she's getting married outside her own parish, make sure she can book a priest who can 100 per cent commit to performing the ceremony on the day.

Second thing she'll need letters of freedom from all parishes the bride and groom have lived in for more than six month. Or you can do an over all declaration to say you were never engaged/married

Baptismal Certificates for the Bride and Groom (dated no later than six months before the wedding)

Confirmation Certificates for the Bride and Groom

These are always the unromantic, less exciting things that are forgotten, but of course, you can't get married without them.

Oh and confirmation from the State that you are free to marry!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

I am getting married in New York, but we havent set a date yet.

I am really new to all of this and only found out about doing marriage courses this morning, I was blissfully unaware of all the "procedures".:confused:

I read this sticky but just wondering if it is up to date?

What are the procedures for marrying in the US, do we still have to get "permission" etc???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 brendanc

Maeve,
    My big problem was not making clear where the church/reception were in relation to each other.
    If you're in a rural area especially I recommend getting a funky wedding invitation map at www.MapMe.ie.
    If I could make an overall suggestion... go abroad!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chriskin08

Hi,

I'm planning my wedding and heard about a new Irish wedding planning website called http://www.ido2do.ie

I entered the date and location of my wedding and I got a wedding checklist (there's 100 really useful wedding planning tasks in the checklist).

The tasks are all broken up into timelines (i.e. - when the task should be completed) and also they also suggest service providers (that are relevant to your wedding) to you as you go through your checklist.

It seems to be too good to be true! It's helping us out a great deal. Just thought I'd share this website with everyone, it seems to have just come out of nowhere!

Anyone else here use that site?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

If she goes to weddingsonline.com it gives her everything including est budgets and there is a blog with people who have recommendations for everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

:pac:
    chriskin08 wrote: »
    It seems to be too good to be true! It's helping us out a great deal. Just thought I'd share this website with everyone, it seems to have just come out of nowhere!

Probably popped up from the same place you came from chriskin :pac:

Sounds like it has some great features though, but if it is a wedding checklist, why not call the site weddingchecklist.ie??

IDo2Do sounds like something out of Star Wars ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chriskin08

LOL@buuby :D

Yeah I had a problem with the name too. The logo on it is hard to read, but the more I think about the name, the more I like it

On their about us page they explain the name... ido as in "Do you Mr. A take thee Ms.B as your lawful wedded wife" - The answer is generally "ido" unless something has gone horribly wrong since the night before the wedding!

And then there's "2do" as in "to do" list or checklist and that gives you "ido2do"

They also mention that they have the name "idotodo.ie" aswell - maybe that would be a better name to use...

But the name is buzzing in my head and when i hear it, I can can instantly remember where I came across it. I think it's catchy all the same, the site looks really nice and clean and the checklist and automatic wedding service finder thingy works really well.

They have a wedding directory (with contacts for almost 20,000 businesses) and wedding forum (even though there only seems to be one user in the forum!) aswell

I don't know, all I can say is that it works for me and it was exactly the type of site I needed. I don't like weddingsonline at all, just too busy, way too much going on, I'll be using ido2do.ie and boards.ie to help plan my wedding, so far so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 upforalaugh

A really good tip is to get a professionally designed Wedding Invitation Map. This is a new idea that some people are using.

Any graphic designer will help out here but www.MapMe.ie specialise it wedding map design and sorted me out. Everybody found the map useful especially as there was a 20 mile journey between the church and the hotel.

For flowers I reckon you should go to www.flowersmadeeasy.ie. Nice people to deal with (even with all my special requests!)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

A really good tip is to get a professionally designed Wedding Invitation Map. This is a new idea that some people are using.

Any graphic designer will help out here but www.MapMe.ie specialise it wedding map design and sorted me out. Everybody found the map useful especially as there was a 20 mile journey between the church and the hotel.

For flowers I reckon you should go to www.flowersmadeeasy.ie. Nice people to deal with (even with all my special requests!)
    This was written by someone from the company behind MapMe. I wont use any service that feels the need to act in that manner.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

DeVore wrote: »
    This was written by someone from the company behind MapMe. I wont use any service that feels the need to act in that manner.

DeV.
    This is me prying, I know, but you getting married Devore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭kinivrus

Hi there i am getting married next year to and i was told if your having a church wedding, find your priest then decide on a date and book the church, after that do a guest list so u have an idea of how much to save and how big the wedding reception venue is going to be then work from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jenbecca

Our pre marriage course was only 20 euro in Ards friary in Donegal has to be booked but it was a beautiful day all about communication you have a few talks and encouraged to walk the grounds and stroll on the beach, etc I would really recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Figment wrote: »
    Two Months Before

Order wedding cake, if not supplied by caterer.

As a cakemaker I would not agree with that. That's a very short notice for the wedding cake - and just bear in mind that the cakemaker you are going to order from might not be available to make your cake for the dates you require - because there was a couple who booked their cake for the same dates well in advance :p.

Certainly that goes does not apply to the M&S boxed "celebration cakes" :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 suzi su

maeve49 wrote: »
    Hey there,

Probably way too late for you but this could help others in a similar wedding planning situation. Have you tried looking on www.mrs2be.ie

checklist on what do do here: http://www.mrs2be.ie/wedding-forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Advertisement