Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung 250GB SSD on Amazon Lightening deal - Ends 15:45 - £109 / €137

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Is the image freely available legitimately and we can put in our cd key?

i never had a dvd, as I had free access to microsoft software in uni, so i just have my key etc. Would like a download of it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Is the image freely available legitimately and we can put in our cd key?

I got me one of the free keys thanks to a hardware upgrade too.

The Win 8 ISO image is around the place on torrents and what-not. However, if you don't want to risk getting a modified ISO (or ISOs that may have been tampered with: to add things like keyloggers etc) , then you can get the official ISO freely from Microsoft's site here

* Click "Buy Windows 8" (You don't actually have to pay a penny)
    * Click "Download Windows 8 Pro for €xyz" - This will download a file "Windows8-UpgradeAssistant.exe"
    * Run the Upgrade Assistant (Again you don't need to by windows, nor install or upgrade from it)
    * Follow the usual steps and it will download an ISO file.
    * After it downloads this file it may ask you if you want to install Windows now, you can cancel the install if you wish then either:

** Write the ISO to a DVD with Software like IMGburn

** Write the ISO to a USB stick with Microsofts tool

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My mistake, I have windows 7 key and want windows 7 for now! I'll have a look.
    When I get the ISO's off torrents usually they don't work with that usb tool, still if I have to do that myself it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

You can get Windows 7 iso's from This link.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

Has anyone transferred their existing OS to the new disk? If so, any links to guides on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ideally you'll need a usb caddy or internal dvd tray caddy or something along those lines as there's no usb connection on the SSD (unfortunately, unlike some SSD's, which is very handy for exactly this purpose), or another USB drive (or NAS) with enough space for an image of your old drive, but tha will require the extra step of creating an image from the old drive and then restoring it to the new SSD and it's a bit more of a pain in the tits and will take twice as long so i'd avoid it if possible.

there's a handy guide to cloning your hard drive to a new disk here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-clone-your-hard-drive/

personally i'd always install the OS fresh onto a new drive, but that's just me. :)

the "windows easy transfer" wizard will do a pretty good job of making sure you get everything across that you want onto the new disk after you've installed the OS. You will need somewhere (i.e. a USB or NAS drive) to back up your stuff to though as it might take a while to back up everything to DVD's if you've a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Ardent wrote: »
    Has anyone transferred their existing OS to the new disk? If so, any links to guides on this?

I just did a fresh install, but I'm thinking that's not what you were after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Ardent wrote: »

Download acronis true image and learn how to use it if you want to clone your existing OS. However you are better off doing a clean install as mentioned previously.

RE the firmware upgrade for the 840 series, here is the page you need to go to.

Hit the "Downloads" tab and grab Samsung SSD Magician. It has some basic benchmarking (note the pop-up disclaimer about running this too often due to the impact on the drive) and optimisation features, and it should pick up the firmware update that is available also.

Enjoy!

Ro

Edited

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Any firmware update needed for the 830?

• Advertisement

Dunno TA, I have the 840. I should update my last post to reflect that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ok, so i've swapped the drives no problem, inserted the usb and booted from that but the install stopped as the product key i have is for my desktop.

Fair enough, so I try to buy a new download and product key only to get a message saying that it's not available for download in my country / region (on my windows 8 desktop, which may be the real reason for this message).

I called MS, only to be told that the only way to get windows 8 is to re-swap the drives, download the upgrade assistant and purchase windows 8 direct from the laptop, save the download to usb, get product key and then swap drives and do the install. Fine, bit of hassle, but can be done.

Except the guy (customer service not a techie) couldn't confirm that this would absolutely work on the SSD - he thought it should, but there could be an issue because there's no previous version of windows on the SSD obviously.

Before I start over, should i do it this way and will it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elsparko

do you have access to your product key? if so, input it and activate windows by phone and just say you are only using it on one system, if not boot up the old drive and run this program http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to get the key, then install on the ssd and activate by phone as above

elsparko wrote: »
    do you have access to your product key? if so, input it and activate windows by phone and just say you are only using it on one system, if not boot up the old drive and run this program http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to get the key, then install on the ssd and activate by phone as above

I have my product key from the desktop install - but once I enter it on the laptop install the message I get is that it is not valid for a new install, only for re-install or repair (or something like that, can't remember exact wording)

I need to buy a new product key - and it seems the only way to do that is to re-install the old hdd and go from there. I would just like to be sure that a new download, with a new product key, will install ok on the ssd

ablelocks wrote: »
    I have my product key from the desktop install - but once I enter it on the laptop install the message I get is that it is not valid for a new install, only for re-install or repair (or something like that, can't remember exact wording)

I need to buy a new product key - and it seems the only way to do that is to re-install the old hdd and go from there. I would just like to be sure that a new download, with a new product key, will install ok on the ssd

That's very strange. I've done the exact same as you with Win8 on 3 PCs and 1 laptop (not all mine :) ) each owner had one of the new Win 8 Keys as upgrade rather than straight out new. The install worked just fine.

My method was:

* Remove old HDD - put in caddy for backup later.
    * Insert new SSD
    * Install Win8 from DVD (I eventually usud a USB stick later on)
    * Enter the upgrade key for Win 8 - it worked
    * Activated Win 8 after adjusting the registry

No problems since :)

The Windows key you have. Did you buy it online as an upgrade or full edition? Was it given to you by your PC supplier/OEM ? (Dell/HP etc).

If its an OEM Key, it'll only work when you use it with their version of Windows on DVD/USB. It wont work on an official ISO.

Xzen wrote: »

The Windows key you have. Did you buy it online as an upgrade or full edition? Was it given to you by your PC supplier/OEM ? (Dell/HP etc).

If its an OEM Key, it'll only work when you use it with their version of Windows on DVD/USB. It wont work on an official ISO.

the product key i have was one of the €15 special offer ones for the upgrade of pcs purchased since june 2012 - bought it direct from Microsoft. But it could be the reason for it not working on the laptop.

I don't mind buying a new product key. From what you've said, if I swap the drives back and purchase the download thru the laptop and save the file to the USB, the install should work on the SSD.

vibe666 wrote: »
    just filled out the form for the assassins creed 3 download and it says it'll take about 7 days for them to check it and confirm the download.

still not bad for a freebie that i wasn't expecting. :)
    not heard anything at all back from samsung about the free AC3 download and when I email them, the mail keeps coming back with a non-delivery report. :(

feck them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

vibe666 wrote: »
    not heard anything at all back from samsung about the free AC3 download and when I email them, the mail keeps coming back with a non-delivery report. :(

feck them anyway.

Same boat here, wonder what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

B0X wrote: »
    Same boat here, wonder what the story is.

same as well. maybe it's because we're not in UK although they could at lest send an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 harkin1987

cgc5483 wrote: »
    same as well. maybe it's because we're not in UK although they could at lest send an email.

Would help if you read the T&C's and I think someone mentioned it in the first page :P
    The promotion period will commence at 00:00 (GMT) on 1st
    December 2012 and close at
    23:59 (GMT) on 31stDecember 2012 (the “Promotion Period”)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

Great bargain alert, thanks OP. Installed the SSD on my Macbook Pro and it's flying along now! :)

harkin1987 wrote: »
    Would help if you read the T&C's and I think someone mentioned it in the first page :P
    The promotion period will commence at 00:00 (GMT) on 1st (6.35 kg)

I applied on the 26th of Dec and not a word from them yet either. Meh, from what I hear, the game was pretty lackluster anyways. Not missing much :)
    smackyB wrote: »
    Great bargain alert, thanks OP. Installed the SSD on my Macbook Pro and it's flying along now! :)

Glad to hear it. I'm an insane tech buyer, can't go a week without a new gadget :D. So keep an eye on BA, if I come across any more tech 'n gadgets for cheap, it'll be on here within minutes.

Xzen wrote: »
    I applied on the 26th of Dec and not a word from them yet either. Meh, from what I hear, the game was pretty lackluster anyways. Not missing much :)

Tu-shay sir ;)

Yeah not a fan of Assassins creed, more of a console game tbh. Just ordered the 256gb pro version, should be fun to see the speed diff.

On a side note, if youve got plenty of cash to spend may I recommend this beast haha

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Micron-RealSSD-P320h-PCI-Express-SSD-Review/?page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

harkin1987 wrote: »
    The promotion period will commence at 00:00 (GMT) on 1st

And your point is?

That applied to when it was purchased (28th Dec) and not when applied for. You could apply until the 31st of January.

cgc5483 wrote: »
    And your point is?

That applied to when it was purchased (28th Dec) and not when applied for. You could apply until the 31st of January.

I just admitted that I missed that, see above. Now relax.

lovely.

they can't even manage to keep their email account working for the assassin's creed promo. :(
    Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer-daemon@googlemail.com>
    01:16 (8 hours ago)

to me

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

assassin@samsungpromotions.com

Message will be retried for 1 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:
    The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=7720
    [(10) mail.epromo.com. [64.90.195.166]:25: Connection refused]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone got their codes yet? I got mine today, 19 working days after I submitted the details (I used the address of a dentist in Newry instead of my real address :o).

My first time using the Uplay program, and reading the terms of Ubi's shop it seems a bit silly when you compare it to Steam. At the bottom of the order it says:
    If your order contains downloadable software and you have not purchased our Extended Download Service (EDS), you have 30 days to download your purchase. After you download we suggest you save a copy of the downloaded file on an external drive, CD, DVD, or some other storage medium in the event you have computer problems or the downloaded file becomes damaged or corrupt.
    That can't be right, can it? You've 30 days to download a 15GB game, or 2 years if you purchase their EDS, after that it's gone? No wonder Steam is on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Still waiting for my code here but it's good to see someone else getting one.

nothing here yet either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement