Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

quotes received from RGII plumbers. want advice

• 23-11-2014 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

We've asked for quotes to upgrade the old oil boiler in 4 bed semi (built 1976) to a new condensing gas boiler. The walls have been pumped and the windows are PVC double glazed, upgraded 2011. The house is 1,250 square feet.

3 different RGII plumbers have made different recommendations. One said 20kw was plenty and another recommended 30kw. I know that there is a calculation to get BTU but I don't know which plumber is closer to the correct figure... help!

The first quote is €14,600+vat to replace boiler, pipes, rads, cylinder in hotpress and tank in attic along with removing old boiler. I have since learned that the tank in attic has already been replaced with a modern plastic type one that is not needed now. That quote is surely high though. I'm hoping the other 2 will be more reasonable...

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

30kw sounds way over, and condensing oil boilers run more efficiently when sized right (or even slightly under) if over sized, you may aswell stick with your existing boiler. I have 2300sqft and use a 26kw (ranged to 23kw) and runs very hard in condensing mode.

Maybe post your location, you may attack more advice and costings from some of the lads here in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

ill do it for 14,599:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

30 kW is too big for 4 bed semi that also has had it's insulation values updated since it was built.

Is it an old GB steel pipe system? If not there is also no need to replace the pipe's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Would you think about stove with back boiler to future proof, also check up on the home improvement initiative tax rebate...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement