Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internet shopping versus the high street.

• 10-10-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What are peoples opinions on the effect of internet shopping on the high street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What are YOUR opinions on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

wait.
    wait.
    you can BUY things on the internet?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i'm still waiting....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What's a "high street" when it's at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Alison Crooked Diagram

kneemos wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions on the effect of internet shopping on the high street.

I think it's kind of redundant, I do all of my internet shopping on the computer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

smug bastard (wish I'd said that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

It's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Thinly veiled "will you do my homework for me" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

krudler wrote: »
    What are YOUR opinions on it?

Some effect I'm sure,electrical goods in particular are a popular buy online,but then isn't everything cheaper off the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Shopping around online can lead to better prices.

But if i want something sooner and cant wait i'll by it in a shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

FatherLen wrote: »
    wait.
    wait.

I hear there are naked ladies to be found on it too.

One day buying naked ladies on the internet will be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I much rather online shopping to bricks and mortar, I am busy like everyone else so if I need something I can order it in the space of 5 minutes instead of getting into the car driving to my nearest town or city depending what I want. online shopping is much more convenient.

Of course bricks and mortar are suffering, but they should innovate instead of whinging. Look at what they have that online doesn't, which is people, if they provide an excellent service then that is going to stick in someones mind, if for instance I want to buy a new computer and I go into a bricks and mortar place and the person who deals with me knows what they are talking about, are pleasant to deal with and interested in helping me then I will be much more likely to buy from there even if it was a little cheaper on the internet. They need to capitalize on the human experience. For some bricks and mortar places it will make them better, others will fail and die off, survival of the fittest and all that.

Just wanted to say that Amazon which is a massive corporation and sells millions of different products all over the world every year has customer service which is second to none, you contact them with a problem and they fall over themselves to help you. I trust them, I know I'm not going to be fecked over by them, I don't feel the same way about any bricks and mortar store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Internet suppliers can hold a much bigger selection in stock. I suspect they may not have all the stock they advertise but can probably call it in from their suppliers quickly. The bricks and mortar shops can't compete with that.
    And if you know your size (shoe, jersey, dress) you can save a lot of time and effort shopping online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I much rather online shopping to bricks and mortar, I am busy like everyone else so if I need something I can order it in the space of 5 minutes instead of getting into the car driving to my nearest town or city depending what I want. online shopping is much more convenient.

Of course bricks and mortar are suffering, but they should innovate instead of whinging. Look at what they have that online doesn't, which is people, if they provide an excellent service then that is going to stick in someones mind, if for instance I want to buy a new computer and I go into a bricks and mortar place and the person who deals with me knows what they are talking about, are pleasant to deal with and interested in helping me then I will be much more likely to buy from there even if it was a little cheaper on the internet. They need to capitalize on the human experience. For some bricks and mortar places it will make them better, others will fail and die off, survival of the fittest and all that.

Just wanted to say that Amazon which is a massive corporation and sells millions of different products all over the world every year has customer service which is second to none, you contact them with a problem and they fall over themselves to help you. I trust them, I know I'm not going to be fecked over by them, I don't feel the same way about any bricks and mortar store.

Ah, so they should build the shop out of something else, like wood or human bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Will this be on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is this Brian Dobson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I bought something a little earlier online. I used to have to get 3V cards but now I have Visa Debit. I wouldn't order food produce online. I definitely need to have my physical pick there. But for whatever else you're looking at a huge selection with better prices and because you're not on the spot you can take it at your leisure and research a product. No queues. No opening/closing times. Online is pretty handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I buy everything online you make a much more informed purchase and are not pressured into things by sale people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Shryke wrote: »
    I wouldn't order food produce online. I definitely need to have my physical pick there.

I used to drive to town every Saturday to do a food shop. 20 minutes in, 20 minutes looking for a parking space, half an hour or more shopping , packing bags, taking them to the car, driving home again, unpacking etc. Half the feckin day wasted just get food.

Since Tesco started home deliveries, I haven't been in a supermarket in over two years. 10 minutes on the internet, shopping delivered to your door the next evening.

Having said that, I still like to potter around the good food shops for meat, chocolates, wines, breads etc.

I'd say I do about 50/50 online / shops for most things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Unless it has a pilot or a mini bar I buy it in a B&M. You can't get free coffee or haggle on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

Intenet shopping? :rolleyes: They're not getting my money. Downloading cars and designer goods FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I hear there are naked ladies to be found on it too.

One day buying naked ladies on the internet will be the norm.

Due to packaging problems, one is best advised to opt for the inflatable variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

FatherLen wrote: »
    wait.
    wait.

Yes, like wives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

these days I do most of my shopping online, it makes gift shopping so much easier too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

--LOS-- wrote: »
    these days I do most of my shopping online, it makes gift shopping so much easier too

I tend to look around shops just so I can see the quality and pricing of said gift before taking to the web to purchase. Sometimes high street shops have decent sales on that would deter me from purchasing it online... not very often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "will you do my homework for me" thread.

Shopping on the internet is very nice. My daddy does it all the time. He also likes to shop on the internet. Mammy says shopping on the internet can be fun. She said it's also very cheap, just like the woman next door.

A plus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that Amazon which is a massive corporation and sells millions of different products all over the world every year has customer service which is second to none, you contact them with a problem and they fall over themselves to help you.

Amazon have a great app for the phone as well. Scan the barcode on a product you pick up instore with your phone and the app will tell you how much it is on amazon. 99 times out of a 100 its cheaper, a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Shopping on the internet is very nice. My daddy does it all the time. He also likes to shop on the internet. Mammy says shopping on the internet can be fun. She said it's also very cheap, just like the woman next door.

A plus

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 joncon45

I buy as much as I can on the internet,and preferably on foreign websites so I can avoid paying our corrupt government their 23% vat rip of......And ye goods in general are far cheaper so I use the shops to view the items before making my online purchases...

Advertisement