Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Naked Election - RTE 1 (Mon) @ 9:35pm

• 07-03-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

The Naked Election follows the campaigns of six political candidates as they put livelihoods and egos on the line in the search for votes.

Dublin West: Fine Gael Dr Leo Varadkar

Laois-Offaly: Labour John Whelan

Clare: Fíanna Fáil Dr John Hillery

Dublin Mid-West: Green Paul Gogarty

Carlow-Kilkenny: Sinn Féin Kathleen Funchion

Roscommon-Sth Leitrim: Independent Luke 'Ming' Flanagan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Could be really interesting. My only worry is that I may actually feel pity for a politician, and don't think I could ever forgive myself if I do. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

MrsD007 wrote: »
    The Naked Election follows the campaigns of six political candidates as they put livelihoods and egos on the line in the search for votes.

Dublin West: Fine Gael Dr Leo Varadkar

Laois-Offaly: Labour John Whelan

Clare: Fíanna Fáil Dr John Hillery

Dublin Mid-West: Green Paul Gogarty

Carlow-Kilkenny: Sinn Féin Kathleen Funchion

Roscommon-Sth Leitrim: Independent Luke 'Ming' Flanagan

This fella will be dragging his baby along as he canvasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

This fella will be dragging his baby along as he canvasses.
    I suspect that Fogarty's contributions tonight are going to be hilarious. At least there is an upside to not getting re-elected, he gets to spend more time with the baby....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I suspect that Fogarty's contributions tonight are going to be hilarious. At least there is an upside to not getting re-elected, he gets to spend more time with the baby....:)

Pretty good show. Gogarty at least was realistic. Love the Ming Flanagan quote that "he hopes to be smoking a joint tonight with the approval of the voters"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

Paul Gogarty is f*cking deluded. how the fu*k did he get into the dail in the first place.

• Advertisement

Did you see John Hillery's wife brushing his hair before he went out canvassing, how embarassing was that....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Hillery seemed very swarmy.

Ming really playin up to the camera. lol!

The others were reasonable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,920 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It was quite a good show but i was taken aback at Paul Gogarthy's arrogance, Belligerence and obnoxiousness. In particular the Dogs abuse he gave out to his Canvassers, he came across as quite the Bully. I always thought this buffoon was a gob ****e and i had said thought confirmed tonight. Good riddance and thank the lord he was turfed out on his ear.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hillery seemed very swarmy.

Ming really playin up to the camera. lol!

The others were reasonable enough.

That's the Ming everyone in the locality knows, honestly. Sure, the tone is louder in front of the cameras but what politician's isn't?

I heard the interview on Shannonside radio after being elected where he was clearly getting emotional talking about his dead mother and this only confirmed it and it was a sweet moment admidst all the rhetoric.

The documentary was very enjoyable and just goes to show - again - that RTÉ can produced high quality documentaries, a fact that's lost in the noise of RTÉ bashing most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 eogriffin

But what about Varadkar!
    Reminded me of Jamie Oliver :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Gogarty and the Sinn Fein one, jebus.

Gogarty struck me as a bit of an Inspecter Clouseau type. I was in stitches watching him trying to take down the posters.

I kind of felt sorry for the Labour guy who didn't get elected. And Ming was hilariously frank about the whole thing.

The one who came off worst, in my opinion, was the Sinn Fein woman who started bad mouthing her constituency because they didn't vote for her. Way to represent your people, you muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

You felt sorry for the Labour guy !? The "Labour" guy who was obviously minted living in a HuffHouse - jaysus - he really represents the Labour core -
    humanji wrote: »
    Gogarty struck me as a bit of an Inspecter Clouseau type. I was in stitches watching him trying to take down the posters.

I kind of felt sorry for the Labour guy who didn't get elected. And Ming was hilariously frank about the whole thing.

The one who came off worst, in my opinion, was the Sinn Fein woman who started bad mouthing her constituency because they didn't vote for her. Way to represent your people, you muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I really enjoyed the show last night, and I think it's time the dail showed the PR teams the door. WHY CAN'T THEY BE LIKE THAT ALL THE TIME!

I thought John Hillary was hilarious, Ming was brilliant also.

You felt sorry for the Labour guy !? The "Labour" guy who was obviously minted living in a HuffHouse - jaysus - he really represents the Labour core -
    I wasn't so much sorry for him in general, as when he lost and was walking off into the distance. It was like watching a sad puppy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Stupid geoblock on it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

The guy walking out from the mart that said to hillery he knew he was and that the next thing would be taking the land off us was the funniest line in the show.

I actually thought Ming did very well and came across like somebody who knew what he was talking about. I also liked it when he wasn't afraid to admit he didnt know about something (Like when referring to Shane Ross & Paul Sommerville as people who knew better than him)

The guy walking out from the mart that said to hillery he knew he was and that the next thing would be taking the land off us was the funniest line in the show.
    I reckon that lad will get a round of applause the next day he takes his cattle to Ennis mart :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I feel ashamed to admit this but I really wanted to give Leo Varadkar a big hug after seeing him on his own in his flat. Something quite vulnerable about him which I was surprised about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Is Varadkar gay? Not that I have a problem with it if he is - but he seems a little camp and when you see him living on his own with no one in tow you just wonder.

• Advertisement

Is Varadkar gay? Not that I have a problem with it if he is - but he seems a little camp and when you see him living on his own with no one in tow you just wonder.
    Ah now, the man's sexuality is completely his business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Ah now, the man's sexuality is completely his business :)

Agreed - don't have an issue with it. Just natural inquisitiveness.

TBH; less baggage leaves him more time to work on sorting out this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Lux23 wrote: »
    I feel ashamed to admit this but I really wanted to give Leo Varadkar a big hug after seeing him on his own in his flat. Something quite vulnerable about him which I was surprised about.
    Same here! I was quite surprised by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Gogarty and Vadkar were my two favourite last night. It was almost as good as radio 1's documentary following Conor Lenihan and Charlie O'Conner on the camapign trail. They got some serious amount of abuse on the doorsteps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

What was with the evil music when Enda Kenny appeared at the end:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

darkman2 wrote: »
    What was with the evil music when Enda Kenny appeared at the end:confused:

The point was to remind the viewer that even after all the fun, games, joy and failure of the election there's still a sword of Damocles looming over the country that will need to be addressed.

It was forboding and reflective of the task ahead, more than anything else. It was a very deft touch, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

onlt seen half of it, but enjoyable stuff. funny with ming and his ex-landlord Frank Fahy, now also ex-TD. love it.

who's on Vinny tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Didnt see this the first time.. It's amazing the difference between Gogarty's complete capitulation and Ming's dynamism.. Paul Gogarty is a very odd chap indeed..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Didnt see this the first time.. It's amazing the difference between Gogarty's complete capitulation and Ming's dynamism.. Paul Gogarty is a very odd chap indeed..

Hmmm yes you do get the impression from the doc that Gogarty had no policy's he was trying to push, nor anything to distinguish him from the big bad wolf that was FF.

Ming was almost too honest. Vote for me cos the others are crap is a bit much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement