Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone mail Servers

• 02-11-2004 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

I use my outlook to pick up my mail from vodafone, but it does not work anymore. Maybe 3 or 4 days now/.

I was wondering if they changed the incoming and outgoing mail server during recent upgade and neglected to tell anyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Well, according to their website

"Over the next couple of weeks we are improving our site. During this upgrade period the following services may be occasionally unavailable:
    My Vodafone Registrations
    Vodafone Mail

The speed of the site may also be effected during this time.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and endeavour to ensure that the transition has as little impact as possible."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭decbuck

yea saw that, but the mail works direct form their site, which implies it should work through outlook.

Thats why I though mail server change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

Hi

Make sure you are logging in with your <user>@vodafone.ie username and My vodafone password.

Any configurations with mail.e-merge.ie and <user>@e-merge.ie are no longer valid

Correct settings should be:

SMTP: mail.vodafone.ie (or your local SMTP server if they permit relaying)
    POP/IMAP: pop.vodafone.ie / imap.vodafone.ie

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

No way! I never knew you could pick it up without going through all that rubbish on their website. Legend! :)

all my servers are correct. as i say i have been using it for ages. just broke over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Using thunderbird:

Do you use pop and imap over SMTP? I get no repsonse from pop.vodafone.ie. What port?

default ports in your mail client should do just fine.

telnet pop.vodafone.ie 110
    Trying 213.233.128.68...
    Connected to pop.vodafone.ie.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK POP3 PROXY server ready (7.2.033.1) <2222D43E7CCFD768D17655EF1443B5407FB55842@pop.vodafone.ie>
    quit
    +OK POP3 server closing connection

telnet pop.vodafone.ie 143
    Trying 213.233.128.68...
    Connected to pop.vodafone.ie.
    * OK IMAP4 PROXY server ready (7.2.033.1)
    a1 logout
    * BYE disconnecting
    a1 OK LOGOUT complete

telnet mail.vodafone.ie 25
    Trying 213.233.128.65...
    Connected to mail.vodafone.ie.
    220 mail.vodafone.ie ESMTP
    quit
    221 mail.vodafone.ie
    Connection closed by foreign host.

Fair enough but it's still not working for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 opthrcks

I just tried logging in there (using POP3), had no problems. The username I entered was my full vodafone.ie email address (not just the part before the @ symbol).
    Maybe you're having some sort of network problems, what type of error do you get/see when you try to access?

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.vodafone.ie', Server: 'pop.vodafone.ie', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I've tried both imap and pop in Thunderbird and Outlook Express...no such luck. Even turned off the firewall in advance just in case. I have my HTTP proxy settings in and an auto proxy script address but no luck in either case. Do I need an SSL or Socks address for mail to work?

I've named all parts of the account xxxx@vodafone.ie in order to make sure I didn't mistake a username for simply a name to appear...ie I think I've followed all steps correctly.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Just because webmail is working, doesn't mean their external POP3 is working.

I see your error mentions SSL, managed to get my account to fail the same way in outlook express.
    By any chance, in outlook express, in the advanced section for the POP3 settings, do you have the SSL box ticked and you manually entered 110.
    I did that and managed to get it to fail also.

You must have the SSL box unchecked - it wouldn't work if you try to connect using (encrypted) communication over port 110.

Don't know if its the problem you've got, but one thing to look at anyway...

Good idea but I don't think so.

Thunderbird has SLL unticked and secure authentification unticked also, using imap.vodafone.ie:143
    Outlook Express: Well TBH I don't see any advanced pop3 connection settings - only thing I get is tools>options>connections leading to IE's connection tab which includes no mail settings, in the LAN part also.

?

A slightly different idea...

Make sure its talking to the right server - Instead of putting pop.vodafone.ie as the POP3 mail server, put the IP address detritus mentions in his posting:

I'm just wondering if theres some problem resolving the hostname or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Try mail.vodafone.ie for the outgoing mail server, and imap.vodafone.ie for the incoming server. It's working fine for me at the moment in Outlook.

Ok I changed to the IP address but no luck there. I've already had mail.vodafone.ie in for outgoing all the time.

I guess it's pretty likely it's my proxy settings. Thing is I have my browser/various programs all running for months now. I've even downloaded the proxy script from UCD and checked it for other info.

Can anybody confirm if you need more than the HTTP proxy address & port to retrieve mail - it seems likely?

Appreciate the help.

It seems to recognise the incoming server as pop.vodafone.ie

but prompts me for username and pass? This is correct. As I use the same for the webmail.

Weird

Any ideas?

just make sure you are setting your full email address as the username , not your mobile number, webmail logons use your mobile number.

you right. I had to change my username to my mail address instead of mobile number.

This used to work with mobile number until last weekdn.

One more thing. I can't send mail from outlook as my vodafone address. I get the mail alright with incoming server as pop.vodafone.ie

but, outgoing server of pop.vodafone.ie and mail.vodafone.ie don;t work. is it possible to send it
    ?

"Note that to send mail from your PDA or Laptop using the Outgoing Mail server (mail.vodafone.ie) you must be connected to the Vodafone Mobile ISP."

Nope.

Still can't get mine to get out with my proxy...

• Advertisement

Bri, as with most providers, mail.vodafone.ie will only allow you relay mail to external domains if you are connected to their network.

you can set up your email client to retrieve email from pop/imap.vodafone.ie and then use your OWN smtp server to send mail , as long as you set your from address to @vodafone.ie

Vodafone dont support this set up and any issues you have with your mail gateway are unfortunately your own :\

I think you misunderstood me there.

I know it doesn't work for outgoing - I was posting that for decbuck who said:
    decbuck wrote:
    One more thing. I can't send mail from outlook as my vodafone address... outgoing server of pop.vodafone.ie and mail.vodafone.ie don;t work. is it possible to send it ?

Myself all I want is to be able to connect via pop/imap to download mail...
    My previous post was wondering about proxy information needed - i.e. I only have the HTTP proxy address & port but no SSL or Socks details...So I was wondering if mail programs need more than HTTP proxy details to 'get out' as every other program works fine with the proxy address.

That's all!

A normal HTTP proxy would not proxy POP3 requests, so I would seriously doubt that the UCD proxy server would. Its completely different protocol/functionality.
    Outlook express etc. would not use the HTTP proxy settings to access a server over POP3 (or IMAP4).

Make's sense...

But are you saying it shouldn't need anything to acess the outside? Or a different protocol?

Outlook express (for POP3/IMAP4 access) pretty much assumes you have a direct network connection to the server you're talking to.
    If you're dialled up/connected over an ISP, this would probably be the case - also some company networks allow port 110 (POP3) or port 143 (IMAP4) access directly out.
    However, sounds like the UCD firewalls block this outgoing call - you'd have to get them (UCD computer/firewall support) to open up this port for you to be able to use POP3 or IMAP4 to talk to the vodafone.ie servers.

Thanks for the info. I might stop into Computer Services and give 'em some grief :)

Advertisement