Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Stove and Hearth

• 16-10-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

We're looking at installing an inset stove in our new house. Can anyone recommend a reliable and reasonable contractor?

We'll be looking for them to supply and install the stove as well as sort out the existing fireplace. Currently there's an awful looking tiled raised hearth which we'll be looking to get shot of and replace with something more up-to-date.

We'd probably consider going for no hearth only we don't have the necessary oak floor boards to fill the gap left behind. Plus after sanding and varnishing the floors only 3 weeks ago I don't fancy having to repeat the operation to match in new boards.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cfosulli

Apologies, I should have mentioned the house is in Stillorgan, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 edzers

Hi there, did you go ahead with Stove? What did you go with? Where did you buy it? We are in North Dublin and just starting to look around.

Thanks
    Edzers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Edzers,
    make a pot of tea and sit down and read through the various threads on here.
    there is lots of good info, interspersed with bits of less good info.
    it seems to me that advice given by Sooty sweep ( have i that right?) Sanchez 83, Robbie G, among others is top class.

The thread posted by Cormie( I think) where he finds out ,bit by bit,the best way to proceed.
    There are often conflicting views, but at the end of it, it appears that you will need a flue liner in your chimney,despite some disagreeing.

It appears that an insert is as efficient as a free standing stove, despite most people, including me,thinking that more heat can radiate from the freestanding one

I got my insert fitted last week, am still experimenting with the draught settings. I took the advice often offered on here and spent more rather than less.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

rugbyman wrote: »
    Edzers,
    make a pot of tea and sit down and read through the various threads on here.
    there is lots of good info, interspersed with bits of less good info.
    it seems to me that advice given by Sooty sweep ( have i that right?) Sanchez 83, Robbie G, among others is top class.

The thread posted by Cormie( I think) where he finds out ,bit by bit,the best way to proceed.
    There are often conflicting views, but at the end of it, it appears that you will need a flue liner in your chimney,despite some disagreeing.

It appears that an insert is as efficient as a free standing stove, despite most people, including me,thinking that more heat can radiate from the freestanding one

I got my insert fitted last week, am still experimenting with the draught settings. I took the advice often offered on here and spent more rather than less.

Regards

What did you go for and how are you finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

kennyb3 wrote: »
    What did you go for and how are you finding it?

Kenny, I chose the Clearview (have I that name right) insert, and got it installed by CountyDownStoves and Flues. The proprietor gives advice on here as Sooty sweep, or somesuch name. I liked what he wrote, see comment above, and he was 40 miles from me.

it is installed 13 days now, I was away at the time, and we are still experimenting with the air intake. Its using a fair bit of wood, but by and large I am pleased and getting more so. My son came in at 5 a.m., first chilly night of the year and commented that he could feel the difference in the house.

On the advice of CDSF and others I did not go for a back boiler

Will type again in a week

REGARDS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

hi guys i am currently looking at boiler stoves and its mind boggling, i don't want to cheap out and regret it but i don't wanna overpay either i wand one to heat 12-14 rads, I've had m emersion replace and the two pipe set up for the stove by a really good plumber philip from arc plumbing services, can't recommend this guy enough when it comes to stoves he really knows his stuff my only complaint is he's very hard to get a hold of very busy guy, back to the stoves is stanley the best or are they overpriced?

Advertisement