Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dual SIM Android Phones

• 21-09-2013 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Looking for a dual SIM android phone as I'm working up north during the week and at home in the Republic at weekends, dual SIM to save me carrying two phones.

Was looking at the Xperia M dual, but having trouble sourcing a SIM free version in Ireland/UK. Anyone have any other recommendations, coming from an S3 on Three Ireland at the minute so don't want too low specs. Or even possible alternatives to a dual SIM setup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Looking for a dual SIM android phone as I'm working up north during the week and at home in the Republic at weekends, dual SIM to save me carrying two phones.

Was looking at the Xperia M dual, but having trouble sourcing a SIM free version in Ireland/UK. Anyone have any other recommendations, coming from an S3 on Three Ireland at the minute so don't want too low specs. Or even possible alternatives to a dual SIM setup.

Look at the Chinese phones thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I have a Wiko Stairway bought via Amazon.fr. Look it up. Great phone goods specs, dual sim. It's very similar to the S4 but half the price....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

MBSnr wrote: »
    I have a Wiko Stairway bought via Amazon.fr. Look it up. Great phone goods specs, dual sim. It's very similar to the S4 but half the price....

Cheers, probably will get one! Any problems encountered with it?

Cheers, probably will get one! Any problems encountered with it?

None so far that have been a problem. Still very happy with it. I think the build quality is very good. Fits well in the hand and looks more expensive than it is. Not plastic like and the aluminium edge trim is very Apple like. Performance is great compared to my HTC Desire HD. Price is good. Display is good in sunlight. Glad I didn't buy the 5.7 inch (Darkside) one as this 5 inch (Stairway) one is just right size wise. It can go in a jeans back pocket.

Just a few things to note.
    1. Battery seems to drop percentage very quickly but then does last ages. It's just the way the phone is and has been reported by others on Wiko forums. I have easily got over a day and half out of it battery wise with mixed use, with the data and wi-fi turned off overnight no problem.
    2. I have noticed the wi-fi isn't as good/strong on it as my HTC. As in you can't go as far from the wi-fi modem/router in the house. But not an issue for me as the rooms I use it in I still get a signal without issue. Again this seems to be reported for this model phone on the forums.
    No issues with mobile 3G data.
    3. Hands free speaker can distort a little if the volume is set way high playing music.
    4. SIM 1 is 3G - SIM 2 can be set to 3G but I understand the data might be limited in speed. I don't use the 2nd SIM so can't say.

Sure the S4 is going to be better but then I only paid half the price and kinda expected some of the above. But this phone does everything I want a phone to do..... :D

There are silicon cases available in France but not in Amazon UK yet. Hopefully like the other Wiko cases they should be soon.

Oh yeah - it comes with a French mains charger.... so an adaptor is needed unless you only charge from a PC.

Anyhow hope that helps.

Just an update. I can get nearly 48 hrs out of the phone with about 15-20% charge left. Mobile data and wi-fi off at night. Very impressed.

• Advertisement

Just got it off the courier an hour ago. Good recommendation so far!

I like the fact the OS is near standard Android, like the nexus range.

Just got it off the courier an hour ago. Good recommendation so far!

I like the fact the OS is near standard Android, like the nexus range.

Great. Hope you stay happy with it!

Do you know if both SIMs can be active at once? Have a 3 Ireland one and a giffgaff one, but dont seem to be able to pick up a signal with 3 sim, had no problems when it was in other phone.

Answer is yes, got it sorted.

Advertisement