Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forgot phone today.....

Options
  • 29-02-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey..
    Just looking for people's feedback.

Today, I forgot my phone. I realized when I got to work so I rang my boyf to let him know that I hadn't got it with me. He went crazy and told me to go home and get it. I didn't bother cause I couldn't care less if I have my phone with me or not. Then he wouldn't answer his phone all day when I rang him from my work phone. Is this normal behaviour? Was he right to be annoyed with me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Was he right to be annoyed with me?

Eh... no, he has no right to be angry with you.

He sounds like a controlling weirdo.

Piece of advice: if your father was a brutal man, or very controlling, seriously analyse the type of men you are choosing.

I don't believe people "accidently" get into relationships with bad people; I believe it's something people seek.

Definitely your boyfriend has no right whatsoever to be angry with you and I think this behaviour is a very clear warning sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

How did we ever manage without them? Phones I mean. Some of us have become slaves to them. Cast off your chains, and in this case your BF if he doesn't wise up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What's the problem. I don't carry my phone around with me a lot of days and it's powered off at night. Not sure why I power it off, just a habit I suppose

If your bf has your work number then there is no issue. In fact, if he wanted to call you at your desk then it's better that your boss sees you talking on the work phone than the mobile for obvious reasons.

He sounds very controlling, does he show this behaviour in other areas OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies, you just kind of confirmed what I thought about him. To be honest, yeh I do think he is controlling. Like for instance, I can never change a plan without it resulting in him getting into a huff/mood. It's just gotten to a stage where I wasn't sure today if I was being the baddy by not driving back home and getting my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Yeah that's more than a bit crazy :confused: does he usually behave like this? if it was out of character for him then have a chat, maybe you caught him on a bad day, he'd want a very good reason to act like that and for him to never be like that again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Hey..

Today, I forgot my phone. I realized when I got to work so I rang my boyf to let him know that I hadn't got it with me. He went crazy and told me to go home and get it. I didn't bother cause I couldn't care less if I have my phone with me or not. Then he wouldn't answer his phone all day when I rang him from my work phone. Is this normal behaviour? Was he right to be annoyed with me?

No its not normal behaviour, is he some sort of control freak or maybe he was just having a bad day ?
    To order someone to go home and get a forgotten mobile is weird and freakish, if someone has ordered me to do the same i know what i would have told them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Heck no, it's unacceptable for him to go mad cos you forgot your phone.

no way, jose... odd in the extreme

What happens when you drop your toast and it falls butter side down???????

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's not normal and I wouldn't stand for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's not acceptable behaviour and personally I would say run away. In fact not doing so would be a bad reflection on you. I've seen controlling men(and women) up close so I would advise that you should look very very hard at where this is going. It very rarely changes and usually gets worse. Don't go down that route.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I know everyone is saying you should get away from him, but how do you feel about him? Is he someone you want to spend the rest of your life with? Is he normally a great person, but just has the odd "control freak" moment? If so, then maybe you should talk to him. Tell him that on no certain terms will you put up with being ordered around. He might just need to cop on.

On the other hand, if he's always like this and there are few redeeming qualities, then move on, he wouldn't be worth your time then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭estar

he sounds VERY on edge

if this is out of character tell him he worried you

if its not his generally irrational.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

humanji while I respect and understand where you're coming from, this kind of behaviour in 99 out of 100 cases gets worse not better. If it does get better it'll be with someone else and not the OP, when he finally if ever cops on that is. A little controlling(which what she describes isnt) is akin to a little violent, it's not on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Wibbs wrote: »
    humanji while I respect and understand where you're coming from, this kind of behaviour in 99 out of 100 cases gets worse not better. If it does get better it'll be with someone else and not the OP, when he finally if ever cops on that is. A little controlling(which what she describes isnt) is akin to a little violent, it's not on.

have to agree there with Wibbs it only gets worse

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

Today hes being controlling about a phone, tomorrow what?! This type of behaviour is unacceptable & nobody should put up with it..i dont see what his problem was when you could contact him from your work phone. If i were you id have a serious think about whether you want to be with someone like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thanks for the replies, you just kind of confirmed what I thought about him. To be honest, yeh I do think he is controlling. Like for instance, I can never change a plan without it resulting in him getting into a huff/mood. It's just gotten to a stage where I wasn't sure today if I was being the baddy by not driving back home and getting my phone.

Question: are you going to break up with this guy or are we going to see you here every six months complaining about your controlling partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Ok OP, is there something you're not telling us for this guy to react like this?

I'll agree with everyone on here, it sounds very controlling and he sounds like trouble. Has he ever reacted like this before, getting angry with you for simple things?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's a relationship that I would get out of. As some other people here have said it is likely that he is only going to get worse. Difficult for you maybe but better off in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

he was prob worried that he couldnt get in contact with you to have his dinner on the table???

or he is a control freak and wants tabs on u.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Hey..

This fella sounds like a lunatic.

Get rid of him as fast as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

or he is a control freak and wants tabs on u.

I agree... Sounds like he was bulling that he couldn't contact you at a moment's notice and see what you're up to!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Are you in the latter stages or pregnancy? Are you on an organ waiting list? Is someone close to you or your partner seriously ill at the moment, and your expecting a call about their condition at any minute?

In any of those cases I would say you should probably have gone home and gotten your phone.

In any other, I'd say that you can probably live without it for a few hours. Is it a phone or a leash?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,521 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

2 Words

Cuck OO!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,628 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Does he often throw a tantrum when he doesn't have the tv remote?

This one is a goner...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Dump him and run away fast. He is a control freak and will only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

But, to be honest, without knowing the full details we can hardly assume the guy is going to get worse. The BF could of had a reason he wanted her to have the phone (maybe a surprise or something). It may, but we just don't know. Without further details, any suggestions are copmletely out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,628 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

humanji wrote: »
    But, to be honest, without knowing the full details we can hardly assume the guy is going to get worse. The BF could of had a reason he wanted her to have the phone (maybe a surprise or something). It may, but we just don't know. Without further details, any suggestions are copmletely out of context.

Playing the Devils Advocate aside,
    I can never change a plan without it resulting in him getting into a huff/mood.

Says it all. Its a recurring pattern and he appears to have failed to explain his reasoning to date. That much we can assume else the OP would not be here asking for plausible conjecture.

In as much context as we have been given the character described seems to me, likely to have a controlling personality, which has never been a good trait in anyone I've ever met.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Dump him and run away fast. He is a control freak and will only get worse.
    +1. Does this guy thinks he owns you or something? Get rid of this nut job.

Advertisement