Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Museum Images

• 10-01-2015 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Years ago I got kicked out of Kildare Street for taking a photography of some the Roman style figurines from Newgrange. Now I see on my facebook and elsewhere images of all the finds going up and being shared.

I havnt been in the museum in ages but have they changed their policy or are people just being sneaky and using smartphones rather than big chunky cameras.

Regards
    R

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Riamfada wrote: »
    Hey,

Years ago I got kicked out of Kildare Street for taking a photography of some the Roman style figurines from Newgrange. Now I see on my facebook and elsewhere images of all the finds going up and being shared.

I havnt been in the museum in ages but have they changed their policy or are people just being sneaking and using smartphones rather than big chunky cameras.

Regards
    R
    Yes, the policy has changed. Photography is now permitted but use of a flash is forbidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

slowburner wrote: »
    Yes, the policy has changed. Photography is now permitted but use of a flash is forbidden.

Speaking of taking pics..why is it strictly forbidden in new grange?. .I was there recently and the "guide went into meltdown when friends tried to take pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Maudi wrote: »
    Speaking of taking pics..why is it strictly forbidden in new grange?. .I was there recently and the "guide went into meltdown when friends tried to take pics.

I presume that was inside the chamber?
    As far as I'm aware,you're told before entering that you're not allowed take photos of the interior - you guys were obviously not listening!:D
    I'm guessing images such as the 'triple spiral' are copyrighted,but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Maudi wrote: »

I think most people assume it's to protect revenue from the image library.

However, I think a big part of the reason is the limited time each group gets in the chamber and to avoid people getting in the way or hogging the best spots.
    When you think about it the number of visitors they need to get through there each day is very high for such a small chamber.

In similar places I have been where photography is allowed one or two people can disrupt the whole flow of the tour and distract the guides if they start asking people to move out of the way or take their picture for them. They probably won't be paying much attention to the instructions of the guide. As it is people have to shuffle up the long passage, hear the guide talking about the chamber and carvings, see the simulated solstice 'sun', have a quick look around and then shuffle back down the passage before the other half of the group get their chance.

Another factor might be the fact that the lighting is low and for a few minutes all the lights are completely off, camera flashes in these conditions can be blinding and very distracting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Bonedigger wrote: »
    I presume that was inside the chamber?
    As far as I'm aware,you're told before entering that you're not allowed take photos of the interior - you guys were obviously not listening!:D
    I'm guessing images such as the 'triple spiral' are copyrighted,but I'm not sure.

I don't think they can copyright the building or the carvings but you might need a property release to licence an image of the interior to a reputable publication. They can impose this as T&C's of entering the property, and the warning not to take pics before you go in to the chamber would put you on the wrong side of any dispute. Never heard it being a problem, though the museum used to (probably still do) have a pretty draconian regime on licencing photos and taking photos of artifacts, how, where and how often photos could be used etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement