Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll pay it as long as everyone else has to pay it. No exemptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Fathers not going to pay it.

Said he had no problem paying it up until he heard about having too fill out a form. Besides local councils get enough funding as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

Not bloody likely. Pay enough tax to prop up European banks already, would have no problem if this was going to local services but there's not a fiddler's chance in hell that this will filter down to local services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I'm going to buy a tent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

You ever been there when you're completely broke and you have to go count up and bag your change from your copper jar and your hands stink from the smell of all the brock.

That's Ireland that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I will pay and so will 90% of the people who say the won't.

Armchair rebels surrender easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm not paying it because I don't own a house. I'll never be able to afford one. I'm going to have to live with about 6 people. Is this the end of 2 person couples and cohabitation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm renting a house, does my landlord or myself pay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Ill pay because I'm a grownup and a professional and dont need courts and convictions in my life for the sake of a hundred quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

No, I rent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

KTRIC wrote: »
    Your landlord will have to pay it but I can guarantee he will pass the cost onto you one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

The owner pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭odnauq

The owner of the property pays and there will be a hefty fine for non payment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It's €100, that's around €8.33 a month.

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Slozer

It's a 'property tax' not a 'rent a property tax' so I don't see why you should. No doubt landlords will try passing this on though.

Ill pay because I'm a grownup and a professional and dont need courts and convictions in my life for the sake of a hundred quid.
    The reason that many people don't want to pay it is because the hundred quid will be a thousand quid in a few years ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I will pay and so will 90% of the people who say the won't.

Armchair rebels surrender easily.

Easy to scoff when you can afford to pay. Some people have been squeezed so much that the money just isn't there.

It should be means tested.

Shenshen wrote: »

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.
    Your right how long do you think it will stay at €8.33 a month :rolleyes:

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Your right how long do you think it will stay at €8.33 a month :rolleyes:

Until they have the structure in place to means-test, and the meters installed to charge for the water?

Wattle wrote: »
    Easy to scoff when you can afford to pay. Some people have been squeezed so much that the money just isn't there.

How many people do you know who cannot afford 8 quid a month?

And while on topic, how many of those would be smokers? Just out of curiosity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Wattle wrote: »

They cant afford 8 quid a month?

If things are that tight then they should look to get some kind of mortgage interest relief and therefore won't need to pay the property charge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Roughly 2 euro a week.

If you dont pay, you will only end up paying more. Dont be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Shenshen wrote: »

Get a grip. Seriously.

I dont get this response?

Its €8.33 a month too fcuking much!!!

Were being charged a tax to live in a poxy house that (not through ordinary Joe Soaps fault) is worth prob half of what it was when we bought it, due to the completely wreckless behaviour of corrupt politicians and greedy bankers.

This charge is for us to pay back the BILLIONS squandered by them, robbed by them, and mismanaged by them FFS!

It doesnt matter two fiddlers farts the amount, its just the fact that we have to pay it in the first place!

Oh yeah, its 100 this year (TO BEGIN WITH) what will it be next year if we let them away with slipping it under the door this year?

Civil disobedience is the way forward, lets all stand together, tell FG and the greedy bankers to go fcuk themselves!

Typical response from the 'ah sure it'll be grand brigade'!

Fcuk em, Fcuk the lot of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

You wouldn't think a "property tax" on your sole property would be legal. Is it not your "right" to own a house. Some people are already breaking their balls paying the mortgage. They should have put 15% tax on to all alcohol sales. Make a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I'll pay.

The usual left-wing loonies in the Dail jumping up and down about this are a joke.

I guess they would prefer if we cut social welfare, or health or education or public service pay?

Course not - they just want to stir sh;t up without actually proposing any alternatives.

We should have had a property tax introduced decades ago, instead of depending on cyclical taxes like VAT and Stamp Duty.

This country needs to get its **** together by establishing a broad and robust tax base - water and property tax are part of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ghandee wrote: »

Were being charged a tax to live in a poxy house that (not through ordinary Joe Soaps fault) is worth prob half of what it was when we bought it, due to the completely wreckless behaviour of corrupt politicians and greedy bankers.

Then what did you buy it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

syklops wrote: »
    Then what did you buy it for?

What kind of a question is this?
    Because I, we, (my wife and child) needed somewhere to live for Christs sake!
    We didn't buy hoping to make money on the house, we didn't buy it as a second home.
    We simply got married and bought a family home together, we couldn't foresee the crap that was coming down the line not even a year later!

The attitude from a few folk here seems to be 'you bought a house so deserve to suffer'.

Where were we supposed to live?

I've lived within my means, even at the height of the boom, I always drove a second hand car, didn't go on holidays that often (and by this I mean not even once a year) so pardon me for trying to provide a house and home for my family, I surely deserve to suffer for doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

This charge is for us to pay back the BILLIONS squandered by them, robbed by them, and mismanaged by them FFS!

It doesnt matter two fiddlers farts the amount, its just the fact that we have to pay it in the first place!

Oh yeah, its 100 this year (TO BEGIN WITH) what will it be next year if we let them away with slipping it under the door this year?

Civil disobedience is the way forward, lets all stand together, tell FG and the greedy bankers to go fcuk themselves!

Who forced you to buy a house?
    Unless it was at gunpoint I have no sympathy for you.

Pay the household charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Not sure yet, probably will end up paying for it but If I do I will be running every tap in the house constantly for the year, why becuase I paid for it, that's why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Keyboard warrior.

Pay your taxes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement