Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

I drove through Roscahill, Co Galway, twice on Sunday March 27. I was recorded at 63 and 68 kms. However I was not there at the times recorded on the summons - 22.38 and 23.38. I did happen to pass there two hours earlier in both cases. That was the Sunday the clock went forward one hour - except in this case the camera got over enthusiastic and leapt forward an extra two hours. However I can't prove I wasn't there at those times. I live alone. Anybody else experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

Sorry if point was made earlier in thread.

Did anyone notice that before the speed camera signs were attached to speed limit signs, there were these black traffic frequency strips placed on the road a month or so before hand?

This has happened in the Cork area, particulary Carrs Hill to South Link and Carrigaline to Ringaskiddy roads.

My personal view is that instead of fatality statistics on these roads, which the garda speed camera advert claims it uses, they have used these traffic frequency strips as the volume of traffic on these roads is high, hence easy pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Sorry if point was made earlier in thread.

Did anyone notice that before the speed camera signs were attached to speed limit signs, there were these black traffic frequency strips placed on the road a month or so before hand?

Yes, I noticed that in another area.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

R0C wrote: »
    Reply from NPO:

Nice of them to give consideration... :rolleyes:

To say it one more time, vehicle is NOT HGV. Vehicle is UNDER 3,500kg. Logbook details have been submitted to them to prove this so we'll see if they bother to consider that.

So I guess we let these guys in the van choose what is or isn't a HGV?

I would've assumed the registration would supply them with that information but obviously not.

They also go on to state in their response that I have x amount of days to follow this up.

Fine cancelled due to incorrect assumption that my vehicle was a HGV. No apology or explanation. Just an acknowledgement that the fine is now terminated.

So to those of you driving vans, campers, etc, that are under 3,500, beware! The driver in the camera van may decide that you are in fact a HGV.

I'm sure most people in this situation have gone ahead and paid the fine without realising that they were being classified as incorrect vehicle type.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

Very interesting update. Thanks for taking the time to come back to let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Speed limits were changed around Ratoath this morning from 80km/h to 50km/h and to mark the occasion , a van was parked right in the middle of one of these brand new zones on the Fairyhoues Road.
    So basically, someone who would have been driving at a perfectly safe speed (70km/h) 10 hours beforehand would now have been 20 km/h over the speed limit and have gotten a fine. Cannot understand the change in the speed limit as all three roads are in perfect condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I can....money:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Speed limits were changed around Ratoath this morning from 80km/h to 50km/h and to mark the occasion , a van was parked right in the middle of one of these brand new zones on the Fairyhoues Road.
    So basically, someone who would have been driving at a perfectly safe speed (70km/h) 10 hours beforehand would now have been 20 km/h over the speed limit and have gotten a fine. Cannot understand the change in the speed limit as all three roads are in perfect condition.

Is that on the road out by Fairyhouse? Noticed it this mOrning. Bit of a joke really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I can....money:D
    Bingo
    markc1184 wrote: »
    Is that on the road out by Fairyhouse? Noticed it this mOrning. Bit of a joke really.
    That's the one. I would have been caught out had it not been for the large number of cars coming the opposite direction flashing their lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭b318isp

I couldn't believe this ridiculous speed limit on my way home last night. So, the speed limit on Glascairn Lane, in house estates or through Ratoath village with the schools is now the same as a relatively straight and wide section a few miles out??? The same stretch jumps back to 80kph either side of the 50kph zone!

I'd understand if it started near the racecourse due to amount of traffic pulling in or out, but there cannot be any justification for reducing it further out.

I'm usually tolerant of speed limits, but this really takes the biscuit. Of course, actually driving at 50kph is almost impossible, you feel like you are crawling. I could see no reason not to drive at 80kph and in all my years of driving that road (I live in Ratoath) I have never come across an accident (I have seen evidence of two further out though, and one at the racecourse).

The sceptic in me finds it a little more than coincidental that a stupidly low limit corresponds so exactly to safety van locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭b318isp

For the Meath Echo...and I'll send it to a few others too...

Submission to Letters Page:

Dear Sir,

I would like to seek a clarification regarding the reduction of the speed limit on part of Fairyhouse Road to 50kmh. Such a severe reduction on a relative straight, wide and low risk part of the road baffles me. A more cynically person may observe that it coincides well with the stated location of safety cameras.

I personally would like to see the justification on why this limit is so low when there are greater risks around the entrances to the racecourse, higher traffic back roads (such as Glascairn Lane) and along the twisting areas before the N3 intersection. To consider this section of road to be similar in risk to housing estates, around the schools and the centre of the village is ridiculous.

It is very difficult to maintain such a low speed on such an open road and I cannot see what is the issue with limit being closer to 80kph. Again, some may see an impractical limit and the presence of "cash collecting" safety cameras within such a defined area (and given that the limit returns to 80kph either side) as not being a true safety initiative.

I'm generally not opposed to speed limits (I'd was happy top see the limit drop from 100 to 80kph a few years ago), but this is a nonsensical step too far.

Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lovelyirish

how does a gard know if ur full license is suspended .. if its on medical grounds....(becaue u wouldnt have committed any crime for them to have a record of)... does their speed vans or cars pick it up automatically.. or would they only know if they pull u over to manually check ur license (which you still have as they never asked for it when u wre suspended)
    like they do with the tax, nct, insurance, etc...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

how does a gard know if ur full license is suspended .. if its on medical grounds....(becaue u wouldnt have committed any crime for them to have a record of)... does their speed vans or cars pick it up automatically.. or would they only know if they pull u over to manually check ur license (which you still have as they never asked for it when u wre suspended)
    like they do with the tax, nct, insurance, etc...

The vans only look at speed afaik, nothing else.

The Garda cars scan for tax and insurance based on a database their systems have access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

b318isp wrote: »
    I couldn't believe this ridiculous speed limit on my way home last night. So, the speed limit on Glascairn Lane, in house estates or through Ratoath village with the schools is now the same as a relatively straight and wide section a few miles out??? The same stretch jumps back to 80kph either side of the 50kph zone!

I'd understand if it started near the racecourse due to amount of traffic pulling in or out, but there cannot be any justification for reducing it further out.

I'm usually tolerant of speed limits, but this really takes the biscuit. Of course, actually driving at 50kph is almost impossible, you feel like you are crawling. I could see no reason not to drive at 80kph and in all my years of driving that road (I live in Ratoath) I have never come across an accident (I have seen evidence of two further out though, and one at the racecourse).

The sceptic in me finds it a little more than coincidental that a stupidly low limit corresponds so exactly to safety van locations.

I noticed today the speed signs have been covered up again on this stretch of road. Any idea's why??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 the wallet

saw that speed limit yesterday,bit sneaky alrite,ive never seen a crash der.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

If you'r snapped by a speed camera while not wearing a selt belt will you get 4 points?

Also, what format are these tickets issued,do they have all details like time etc printed on them?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Speed cameras AFAIK won't be able to tell if you are wearing a belt or not. However, don't be in line for a Darwin award and belt up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

kbannon wrote: »
    Speed cameras AFAIK won't be able to tell if you are wearing a belt or not. However, don't be in line for a Darwin award and belt up!

I do anyway, but if the photo shows evidence of non compliance with a law surely it'd be remiss of them to forego a nice little extra earner!!!!!!!!!!!

Or is it just the vehicle thats identified?

Also seen a few of the vans and they dont have the "Battenburg" livery, more a chevron style and didnt look particularly hi-viz either. They seem to be a little half hearted as regards their prominence and visibilty as opposed to the initial announcements.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It may have been a garda van (without livery) rather than a private camera van (with livery).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Folks, one of the mobile speed camera vans is parked on the outgoing side of the Delvin road just outside Mullingar, on a nice wide section with wide hard shoulders. About 200m past the Mullingar by-pass.

Shooting fish in a barrel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

There seems very little gratitude as shown by perusal of this thread about the odd bit of speed law enforcement that actually does take place. Are we happy that there is enforcement ?

And what about the widespread disregard for the speed limit on the M50 as shown by the thousands of motorists who speed there every single day of the week unmolested by the speed law guardians whilst secure in the knowledge that there will be no enforcement there ? I believe that most of these motorists would find the upgrading of legal controls there to be an unacceptable irritant addition to the daily M50 obstacle course. Just try driving within the speed limits on the M50 and you will raise the hackles on dozens of drivers who just want to get on with it regardless of the pesky legal constraints.

Driving on the M50 last Friday evening, I noticed another innovation intended, I'm sure, to frustrate the speed cops, i.e. the removasl of rere number plates........my nephew counted no less that seven trucks without rear number plates between the Ballymount Junction and the Dublin Airport turnoff. Not a lot of penalty points there, eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

N4, east of Edgeworthtown, 11-ky reg van with markings. Just now.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Abraham wrote: »
    There seems very little gratitude as shown by perusal of this thread about the odd bit of speed law enforcement that actually does take place. Are we happy that there is enforcement ?

And what about the widespread disregard for the speed limit on the M50 as shown by the thousands of motorists who speed there every single day of the week unmolested by the speed law guardians whilst secure in the knowledge that there will be no enforcement there ? I believe that most of these motorists would find the upgrading of legal controls there to be an unacceptable irritant addition to the daily M50 obstacle course. Just try driving within the speed limits on the M50 and you will raise the hackles on dozens of drivers who just want to get on with it regardless of the pesky legal constraints.

Driving on the M50 last Friday evening, I noticed another innovation intended, I'm sure, to frustrate the speed cops, i.e. the removasl of rere number plates........my nephew counted no less that seven trucks without rear number plates between the Ballymount Junction and the Dublin Airport turnoff. Not a lot of penalty points there, eh ?
    You must be driving on a different M50 to me. I do between 102-105 km/h on it and rarely get overtaken.
    I've also seen several GATSO vans and tens of people pulled in by unmarked cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I haven't seen any Gatso vans on the M50, but I've seen a lot of people pulled over recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If you'r snapped by a speed camera while not wearing a selt belt will you get 4 points?

Also, what format are these tickets issued,do they have all details like time etc printed on them?

Can't 100% vouch for this, but a mate drove by a Garda van once and it flashed. Bemused as he was well under the limit and alone on the road, he drove past again, and again it flashed.

He was done twice for not wearing a belt.

I stress however it was a Garda van in day light.

On a serious note however, you shouldn't be driving, let alone allowed a brain if you don't wear a belt.

Ok, so I finally got a nice video of these boys in action. I think its only fair that if anyone comes across them that we get some nice photos.

The location is on the Dunmore Road into Waterford, just after the Creamery going into Waterford City. Pretty good road, 80 km/h for most of it once your out of Waterford City. To my knowledge this particular section isn't an accident black spot.

Google Map Link

Located on a sharp bend in pitch darkness:

5650511509_41e120c1ca.jpg

5650513419_a33d386df1.jpg

5650514069_e201147032.jpg

At least they are near a speed camera sign! :rolleyes:

5650515077_2b08a58c3f.jpg

Now, in daylight this is what you would see:

Towards Waterford:

5650512863_4f5a6d7a68.jpg

Towards Dunmore East:

5651080700_2733a1fed5.jpg

And the gateway:

5651078238_193b3645a4.jpg

So what I'm asking is for the Speed Camera defenders to defend this.

A camera van, in pitch darkness, late at night, on a blind corner, parked in a private gateway opposite continuous hatched double lines.

This corner is exceptionally blind in my opinion (The Google street view doesn't do it justice as its about 10 ft above a normal drivers eye line) and to have a van creating a pinch point if an on coming car went wide is frightening.

The double hatched lines also make it illegal by the Rules of the Road:
    where there is a single or double continuous white line along the centre of the road
    at a corner, a bend, the brow of a hill or on a hump-back bridge

So speed camera defenders, defend the indefensible.

Note: Don't point out my camera work, it was taken handsfree on a DVR.

First question I'd have - is this location marked on the garda.ie maps?

-Chris- wrote: »
    First question I'd have - is this location marked on the garda.ie maps?

Yes it is. I'm not arguing the location, I'm arguing the blatant disregard for traffic regulation and safety

Looks like these safety camera's arn't very safe... :pac:

• Advertisement

Cool, just checking. I'm hoping we get some photos of vans parked where they're not supposed to be.

Advertisement