Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Influential Woman of the week..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I could set up a charity in the morning. Course, just like herself, I'll expect other people to pay into it. And it did more to highlight her, make her look good in her divorce proceedings and prevent a backlash of pro-royal family Britons...

She was a media hungry hoe bag.

I'm gonna tell her you said that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Please don't :( I iz a scared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Don't be afraid to write a few paragraphs and post links or whatever to explain why you admire them. I'll post this weeks one up soon, when my feet have warmed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

HAPPYGIRL wrote: »
    Aung San Suu Kyi now theres an iconic figure!
    Second that!
    I think Miriam O'Callaghan is also a good inspiration to Irish women on how you can do the family thang and still kick ass in the male dominated world of RTE at the same time.
    This month though I think Susie Long is someone who really deseves womens (and mens) admiration alike. She was a rallying voice against the states sick health system and even in the face of death continued to make a stand so that others wouldnt have to go through what she went through.
    http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=TribuneFTF&id=102728&SUBCAT=&SUBCATNAME=&DT=09/09/2007%2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Virginia Woolf, for being great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

WindSock wrote: »
    Tell us what ye don't like about our Sinead then? What do you think of her at the Bob dylan thing?

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but if someone like Bob Dylan or Kris Kristofferson was faced with such a hostile crowd, they would win them over with their passion and the conviction with which they sing. To be honest, Bob Dylan was probably at his very best when faced with an angry audience. When he sang The lonesome death of hattie carrol, the Hurricane and Masters of War it was a big 2 fingers to the establishment, and if it upset people he didn't care. The best performers often get noticed when they are playing in front of a crowd that simply doesn't want to listen. They make 'em listen.

Sinead just seems like a stroppy little girl, her singing is awful and seems more irritated than defiant. There was very little conviction or passion to her voice, and she didn't seem at all like winning the crowd over. If she didn't let the crowd get to her, or sang at them with contempt it would have been much better, but instead she let them get to her. Don't get me wrong, it takes a lot of moxy to sing to such a hostile audience, but it takes something special to come off well, and she didn't.

She seemed to me more like Ian Brown throwing a hissy fit when the power went off on top of the pops (or whatever programme it was), than a person signing about an uncomfortable truth.

And while maybe 15 years ago that song might have been fresh (which I doubt), it is so cliched it does nothing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

Janice Dickenson is brilliant she is a real inspiration to all women.
    She's a very successful woman and i think she intimates alot of men (which i think is great)
    And she looks fabulous for her age(i know that she's had some surgery but even so she still looks great)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

lucyburn wrote: »
    Janice Dickenson is brilliant she is a real inspiration to all women.
    She's a very successful woman and i think she intimates alot of men (which i think is great)

So successful and intimidating, that we haven't even heard of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

By your logic, Stalin was a great man: he was even more successful than Janice Dickenson (who, Wikipedia tells me, is a modelling agent - one step above a madam) and even more intimidating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

By your logic, Stalin was a great man: he was even more successful than Janice Dickenson (who, Wikipedia tells me, is a modelling agent - one step above a madam) and even more intimidating.

That's a bit of an over reaction Eamonn, what harm has she done?
    She's a strong independent intelligent woman, so what's wrong with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Maria Kanellis

Class act.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Maria Kanellis

Class act.

Oh, you seemed have lost your way. Here let me guide you back to where you can post crap like that http://www.boards.ie/

Any of the forums there I'm sure are willing to accomodate your post. JUST NOT THIS ONE!

Enjoy your stay :)

My next installment is another home grown lass, Grace O Malley
    Aka, the Pirate Queen. Yearrrrrrh.

Hailing from Clew Bay off Co. Mayo, born in 1530 and lived in the time of the Tudors and their efforts to reconquer Ireland.

girl2.jpg

Henry VIII was clamping down heavily on Irish Chieftans and Anglo Irish Lords, pressuring them to submit to the Crown. The O Malleys and O Flahertys stood strong and refused to submit then denied access to Galway Bay and Poached Merchant Ships all along the coast.
    Grace Commandeered her own private army of 200 O Malley Men and an entire fleet of O Flaherty ships. She was a respected leader. She displayed fierce bravery on many occasions and had a very skillful knowledge of the sea. Any invaders deeming themselves lucky to have succesfully manoeverd the harsh Atlantic on the rugged West coast, soon found themselves up against a new challenge.
    Grace even went across the water to pay a visit to Queen Elizabeth, in 1593, when both were in the Autumn of their years. Both held a respect for each other and knew well of the difficulties that face powerful Women in a Mans world.
    Grace2.jpg
    Grace finally died in 1603 at the age of 70 and is said to be buried on Clare Island.
    Granuailes relentless fighting to keep the Chieftains of Ireland in power and reject the English rule in an unforgiving time is why she gets my vote. I think her story needs to be told. (and not as a musical ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Benazir Bhutto has balls of steell, I have to say!!

Sadly, some of the more extreme elements in her country just weren't ready for progress.

May she RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sweetz

sinead o connor is an inspiration,
    her integrity comes off as arrogance or petulance as in her response to the booing crowd..she could have tried to charm them or win them over ..but she didnt feel the need..that to me is integrity of the highest degree..a powerful woman..reciting lyrics that were life changing for me..bob marley spoke truth that is still significant today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭flyingdagger

There are a few that i admire/am intrigued by:
    Sojourner Truth-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sojourner_Truth

Grainne Mhaol-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_O%27Malley

Boudica-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica

Thought I'd revive this old chestnut in celebration :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Two of mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmeline_Pankhurst

With out these two women and those who supported them women would not be able to vote, one did so in Britain and the other in the USA.

Both were imprisoned for demonstrating, went on hunger strike and were force feed and suffered other humiliations.

They were called iron jawed angels.

http://www.hbo.com/films/ironjawedangels/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Agree completely; why celebrate mediocrity? There are women who have actually contributed something to society, like say Marie Curie, who have changed the way we think about society (Mary Robinson), or on a personal level, changed the way I think (Judith Butler). In that context, who the hell is Janice Dickenson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Agree completely; why celebrate mediocrity? There are women who have actually contributed something to society, like say Marie Curie, who have changed the way we think about society (Mary Robinson), or on a personal level, changed the way I think (Judith Butler). In that context, who the hell is Janice Dickenson?

Wouldn't be Janice Dickenson's biggest fan myself but after reading her book and reading the sh1t she went through as a child I think she's an inspiration because she didn't let it make her a victim, she went on to become a successful model and later own her own business. Not the most likeable of people but I always admire and respect anyone that has been through unimaginable abuse as a child, drug abuse as an adult and came out stronger for it.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Two of mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmeline_Pankhurst

With out these two women and those who supported them women would not be able to vote, one did so in Britain and the other in the USA.

Both were imprisoned for demonstrating, went on hunger strike and were force feed and suffered other humiliations.

They were called iron jawed angels.

http://www.hbo.com/films/ironjawedangels/

First of all, I would have thought that Mary Wollostonecraft did more for women's suffrage than Emmeline Pankhurst because Wollostonecraft was the first significant thinker to argue for women's suffrage whereas Pankhurst was just a radical who threw herself in front of the english king's horse.

Second of all, while I've never heard of Alice Paul, surely Woodrow Wilson is misrepresented in that article in that it suggests that he bowed to political pressure from the suffragettes. Is it not farer to say that women's suffrage was granted as a cynical political ploy on his part to increase the democratic vote? Not exactly a noble motivation I know, but in terms of American politics the suffragettes played a very small role.

Finally, what do those two videos have to do with Pankhurst?

Jules wrote: »
    How about our 7th President - Mary Robinson...

I'll know what i think of her and what she did for women of this country, this country in general and also in her role as UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

So what do you guys think of her as a woman of influence?

This post seems to have gone unanswered for a whole year, which is a shame.

Mary Robinson is a great person and did more for Ireland than any other president. However, because she advocated human rights as opposed to women's rights, she seems to have been sadly overlooked on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

yes she is an advocate for human rights but initally she did a lot of womens rights in this country. And this being a forum aimed mainly at women thats what i have focused on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

what about countess marcievicz? man i hate attempting to spell that one, but she was a pretty interesting chick. never studied her specifically, but did do my history special topic during her era, and she did prop up again. seemed to have been a very opinionated, educated, strong woman. fought for what she believed in. might not have specifically been women's rights, but certainly put herslef out there for her ideals, and her political and social beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Second of all, while I've never heard of Alice Paul, surely Woodrow Wilson is misrepresented in that article in that it suggests that he bowed to political pressure from the suffragettes. Is it not farer to say that women's suffrage was granted as a cynical political ploy on his part to increase the democratic vote? Not exactly a noble motivation I know, but in terms of American politics the suffragettes played a very small role.

No politician wants to increase the franchise. Besides why do you assume that women would vote Democratic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Mary Harney FTW :D

what about countess marcievicz? man i hate attempting to spell that one, but she was a pretty interesting chick. never studied her specifically, but did do my history special topic during her era, and she did prop up again. seemed to have been a very opinionated, educated, strong woman. fought for what she believed in. might not have specifically been women's rights, but certainly put herslef out there for her ideals, and her political and social beliefs.

Countess Markiewicz FTW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constance_Markiewicz
    Constance Georgine Markiewicz, Countess Markiewicz (née Gore-Booth; 4 February 1868 – 15 July 1927), was an Irish Sinn Féin and Fianna Fáil politician, revolutionary nationalist and suffragette. She was the first woman elected to the British House of Commons, though she did not take her seat and along with the other Sinn Féin TDs formed the first Dáil Éireann. She was also the first woman in Europe to hold a cabinet position (Minister of Labour of the Irish Republic, 1919–1922).

First of all, I would have thought that Mary Wollostonecraft did more for women's suffrage than Emmeline Pankhurst because Wollostonecraft was the first significant thinker to argue for women's suffrage whereas Pankhurst was just a radical who threw herself in front of the english king's horse.

The thread is for posters to post about women they think made a difference and inspired them.
    Second of all, while I've never heard of Alice Paul,

Maybe you shoudl do some reading so
    surely Woodrow Wilson is misrepresented in that article in that it suggests that he bowed to political pressure from the suffragettes. Is it not farer to say that women's suffrage was granted as a cynical political ploy on his part to increase the democratic vote? Not exactly a noble motivation I know, but in terms of American politics the suffragettes played a very small role.

Actually the political opinion only shifted in favour of the suffragettes after it came out the horrendous conditions that the women who were unconstitutionally arrested also post world war 1 russia and germany had given women the vote and those two combined made Wilson give in.
    Finally, what do those two videos have to do with Pankhurst?

There hasn't be a film made about suffrage in Britain but Pankhurt was also arrested, went on hunger strike and was force feed.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Mary Harney FTW :D

While I can not ignore her historic place as woman who was party leader and the first to be An Tánaiste I don't have a lot of time for her personally or her politics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Any votes for the two Rosas: Rosa Luxembourg and Rosa Parks yet?

Advertisement