Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

20,000 days on earth (Nick Cave)

Options
  • 17-07-2014 11:44am
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw the trailer for this, looks very good indeed:

Not entirely sure if it's a straight up documentary or a scripted movie tbh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

its screening in Cineworld on Wednesday, September 17th at 7pm! Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Honestly can't tell what this is, other than intriguing.

Honestly can't tell what this is, other than intriguing.

NC is never anything less!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I suppose it could be a mix of styles: prepare and shoot scenes in a more cinematic form, while keeping the content within ad-hoc and improvised. Either way it looks a fascinating vehicle, and I'm definitely curious, no question about that.

I've heard some mixed thoughts on this from people who have seen it. From what I've seen of it, it's not a documentary but it does have elements of a documentary and I imagine that it may be something like The Song Remains the Same. At the very least it looks fascinating and as such, it'll play a few "art house" cinemas before being dumped onto DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - did anyone go to this last night and was it good?

I went. In Cineworld.

The film itself is, in my opinion, exceptional.

As for the before and after thing, Edith Bowman was hosting it. They showed a few outtakes (including one hilarious scene where NC tells Kylie about the time when his mother's dog died on his watch), Nick performed a few songs (Ship Song, Weeping Song, Into My Arms etc all brilliant)

There was also further interviews with Nick Cave, Warren Ellis, Ray Winstone, Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard. But really, it was just Edith asking the most bog standard questions with (some of) the guests giving a decent effort of trying to make something out of them. Don't usually mind her, but she was pretty bad last night, I thought.

All in all, the film's great, but the after show bit definitely wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Saw it in the Lighthouse myself.

Enjoyable, Cave is a fascinating character to me - and obviously it helps if you're a fan of his music and writing.

Very well crafted film but didn't stick out for the after bit. Bowman's before was pretty weak (and as is often the case with these things they don't seem to think Ireland is worth mentioning).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I loved this as I love everything that Nick Cave is involved with. This got emailed to me yesterday.http://shop.nickcave.com/view-all/20-000-days-on-earth-limited-collectors-edition.html
    I immediately purchased one as its limited to 2,000. After postage it worked out around €65

Advertisement