Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It's a decent, loud and fairly forgettable Blockbuster theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Judging by some of those stills I foresee massive overuse of lens flare again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Why? Is there lens flare in any of them (I've no idea what lens flare is)

Synode wrote: »
    Why? Is there lens flare in any of them (I've no idea what lens flare is)

star-trek-lens-flare.jpg?874fb4

star-trek-lens-flare.jpg

star-trek-carol-lensflare.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

He has spoken recently enough about his realisation that lens flare was too much..doubt there'll be much of it in these films.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I didn't even notice the lens flare until the fanboys started ranting about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Yeah it's never bothered me, and have always found the criticism ott. I especially love comments such as "it ruins an otherwise fine film." **** off like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Oh don't get me started on that. When I come to this thread after the film comes out and the only thing people are talking about is fcuking lens flare I'll punch the screen!

Anyway, onto a bit of proper news... and I see Warwick Davis is officially going to be in Episode 7. Not really sure I'd like to see him portray Wicket again (or any Ewok) but good to have him back all the same.

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/movie-news/10000-warwick-davis-added-to-star-wars-epvii-cast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

The problem with adding fake lens flare is solely that.. it looks sh*t and is distracting. It's like the director is screaming at you "look how down with old school film making I am!". He called a previous film Super 8 ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Giruilla wrote: »
    He called a previous film Super 8 ffs.

A film that revolved around a bunch of kids making a movie with a Super 8 camera. So it's not exactly an indulgent stretch of a title.

Lens flare hasn't exactly been absent in SW to date (see the Falcon's last minute rescue at Yavin IV, or the opening shots of Episode III for examples), but I agree, and even Abrams agrees, that he's gone too far in the past. One of the interesting questions about Abrams on Episode VII is whether he'll continue with George's penchant for ridiculously old-fashioned screen wipes (hope he does!).

• Advertisement

I hope he does too. They're a fundamental part of the look of the films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, this thing of the lens flare has become a very convenient stick with which to beat Abrams. He openly admitted that he went overboard with its use during the Star Trek movies, and if he's to be taken on his word we're not likely to see it again - or at least not to the same extent anyway. All directors have their own visual tics and identities, and while Abrams got a little over-indulgent with his, obnoxiously so at times, he doesn't deserve the fanboy rage he induces.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Lens flare is the least of Star Trek's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Tony EH wrote: »
    Lens flare is the least of Star Trek's problems.

Mmmm-hmmm. One thing that does concern me about Abrams at the helm is the occasional lapses in his visual imagination when it comes to SF. While key sets in ST were elaborately designed (love 'em or loathe 'em) others were just slapdash rubbish - the breeze blocks and security camera corridor in Scotty's research station, the awful engineering section of the Enterprise, for example. That's not something you could ever accuse a Lucas production of (although the Mon Cals' shoes in RotJ come close...), where even substantially real real-world locations are made to feel convincingly alien.

The nostalgic set-dressing in Super 8 was fantastic, almost Spielberg-level, but that was a near-contemporary setting, much like Lost. Does Abrams have the SF chops to keep a consistently interesting environment for the When I look at some of the lovely locations hinted at in the 'leaked' concept art I do wonder whether they are going to be linked by the equivalent of concrete service corridors.

Abrams did a TED talk...wonder how much of this applies to Star Wars now?
    http://blog.ted.com/2013/05/16/talks-to-watch-as-you-buy-tickets-for-star-trek-into-darkness/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Has anyone seen the new Disney series Star Wars: Rebels yet? Animation wise it's a bit ugly in places but having it set in Imperial-era Star Wars is great. TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers, proper Stormtroopers not clones. It's a nice bridge between the prequels and OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's different from the Clone Wars which was really good. Clone Wars was getting pretty Dark though.

Rebels seems to be finding it's feet so far and feels like it has good potential. Will have to wait and see.

Has anyone seen the new Disney series Star Wars: Rebels yet? Animation wise it's a bit ugly in places but having it set in Imperial-era Star Wars is great. TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers, proper Stormtroopers not clones. It's a nice bridge between the prequels and OT.

Really enjoyed the first two episodes so far, despite reservations beforehand. With the era that it's set in it has great potential. Plus James Earl Jones is back!

Haven't fully seen any animated Star Wars, because what I've seen looks too childish to be truly satisfying.

However, I've always maintained that a great series of live action films could be produced chronicling the events that occur between the end of the, ugh, prequels and the beginning of Star Wars proper.

I, personally, would have preferred Star Wars Episode 3.1, dealing with the rise of the Empire and it's subjugation of planets, than Episode 7.

Haven't fully seen any animated Star Wars, because what I've seen looks too childish to be truly satisfying.

However, I've always maintained that a great series of live action films could be produced chronicling the events that occur between the end of the, ugh, prequels and the beginning of Star Wars proper.

I, personally, would have preferred Star Wars Episode 3.1, dealing with the rise of the Empire and it's subjugation of planets, than Episode 7.

Give The Clone Wars a try, it's what the prequels should have been.

• Advertisement

Is it though? I watched the film which I believe kicks off the series and it was absolutely woeful. So much worse than even the Prequels.

Does it get better?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Does it get better?

Yes.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Is it though? I watched the film which I believe kicks off the series and it was absolutely woeful. So much worse than even the Prequels.

Does it get better?

Oh the film was terrible, the series was pretty great. Rebels is a bit more kid orientated but the setting is much more classic Star Wars. And Darth Vader is in it.

Give The Clone Wars a try, it's what the prequels should have been.

I've tried to watch some of 'The Clone Wars', but just leaves me cold, I'm afraid. I simply cannot get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I've tried to watch some of 'The Clone Wars', but just leaves me cold, I'm afraid. I simply cannot get into it.

It plays the long game. The story gets pretty intricate and dark (whilst PG)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

For some reason that clip struck me as more Star Trek than Star Wars. :o

watching the Family Guy/empire strikes back crossover...it's hilarious, but the visual effects actually look better than that new rebels series..

Some interesting speculation about John Williams recording the music for the first trailer next month. I'd love to see a teaser trailer in time for Christmas, t'would be a nice little stocking filler!

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/10/rumor-music-for-episode-vii-trailer-to.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Meh, teaser trailers feel like an irritating marketing affectation imo, and it's not like a film of this scale will need hype. Not like it's an either-or situation, but I'd rather sit tight 'til a proper trailer airs in the new year than get excited over a rattled-together teaser. Still, good to see the production getting to the point of having material suitable for trailers.

• Advertisement

That didn't take long: apparently Principal Shooting finished during the weekend just gone, the crew receiving thank-you letters from the JJ Abrams & co. (naturally then turning up on people's Twitter accounts), so I believe it's over to post-production. That first trailer can't be too far off.

Advertisement