Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do most kids today have no manners?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I feel sorry in a way for the ones who have been let 'express themselves' (i.e. say what they want to who they want, do what they want when they want) because the world doesn't work like that.

'That's my opinion, I'm only saying' might work on facebook, but in the real world it will get you out of a job quick smart.

• Administrators Posts: 13,761 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I disagree, it's a generational issue. There's lots of people in their 30s-40s who are great people but their kids are destroyed by the likes of social media, the kardashinas etc.

You misunderstood me... The people who are in their 30s and 40s who are great people were more than likely great kids. The adult knobs of today were knobs when they were kids, 20-30-40 even 50 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

You misunderstood me... The people who are in their 30s and 40s who are great people were more than likely great kids. The adult knobs of today were knobs 20 years ago when they were kids.

i think the point being made was those great adults have bad children now, so they in turn will be those adult knobs you speak of despite having great parents thanks to things like the kardashians, social media...etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think the the case of the OP the child was initially right, the mother reacted badly though. The child was sitting first that's their table. I'm sure the OP had planned to sit there before the child sat down but I'm also sure the child planned to sit there before they sat down, so who is to say who thought of sitting there first. The person who sits at the table first gets it, it's not who thinks about sitting there first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

You misunderstood me... The people who are in their 30s and 40s who are great people were more than likely great kids. The adult knobs of today were knobs 20 years ago when they were kids.

But those great people in their 30's and 40s are producing kids who are little ****s and it's not really their fault. They can try and teach them, but society, their peers and the people they admire are different. And that's what they'll become.

• Advertisement

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i think the point being made was those great adults have bad children now, so they in turn will be those adult knobs you speak of despite having great parents thanks to things like the kardashians, social media...etc!

It's still not a counter point, the statements don't conflict and there was no reason for the second statement saying I disagree to the first when the poster made a completely different point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

GarIT wrote: »
    I think the the case of the OP the child was initially right, the mother reacted badly though. The child was sitting first that's their table. I'm sure the OP had planned to sit there before the child sat down but I'm also sure the child planned to sit there before they sat down, so who is to say who thought of sitting there first. The person who sits at the table first gets it, it's not who thinks about sitting there first.

They left the ****ing establishment when their fast food was ready? :rolleyes:

Cormac... wrote: »
    They left the ****ing establishment when their fast food was ready? :rolleyes:

As I said the mother of the child reacted badly, if they weren't intending to stay the child shouldn't have sat, but maybe they were before the incident.

Once the child was sitting the OP shouldn't have said anything, it doesn't matter of the OP's party was planning to sit there, so were the other party and the other party had gotten there first.

you see it a lot at events, parents will use their children to get whatever it is they want.

we would always typically be early at event things and therefore be right up the front, she maybe a bit bored waiting around or whatever but she gets her reward when the event starts, and then you get these parents who first will send their littlest child up, they will squeeze in on the basis you are a dick if you tell the child 'no' sure they are only small, and you are a big giant adult blocking their view.

then the sibling is sent up...of course to "mind them" then the adult pushes through of course to stand with the children, and the look/mouthful you get if you dare protest, so i don't even think its a who was there first thing, its a carefully manipulated thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets, inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    "What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets, inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

there is a lot more of them since that was said so a lot more of us are suffering/ranting because of them. :pac:

THEZAPPA wrote: »
    For example I was out at a fast food chain with my nearly 60 year old mother. We got our food and went walking to a table to sit down. Mind you their were plenty of seats around. As I'm about a foot from the table with a full tray of food this 10 year old girl runs and pushes past me almost knocking my tray out of my hands and she sits down on the sit i'm about to put my tray on and just stares at me.

It's bigger and clearer to read now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

OP you have good taste in music I assume ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

If you think about it though, that is one child you encountered that day... How many other children did you see in town that you paid no attention to whatsoever because they were quietly & politely going about their business?

So, the majority of kids are lovely. Unfortunately it's the very small minority that attract the most attention.

Well I never said all kids weren't mannerly. However that particular day I came across one nice child and another bunch of 13 year old or so kids loudly shouting abuse at people walking by. A few in different shops demanding mommy and daddy buy them the toy. A few running around tesco pushing into others trolleys. I'm also from an area that others would consider middle class so posh or delinquent areas out of the equation not that they should be in their anyway.

When it comes down to it, their are lovely children out there and it's come to the stage now where its a breath of fresh air to come across. In my experience though it has gotten worse and I'm not even that old. It's a lot of parents these days not teaching their children to respect others, simple as. As parents we are meant to be teaching children to be the best they can be. All I see are parents giving in to kids and thus letting them get away with ****e.

I don't see how the child was right. Running, pushing me aside and almost knocking my food over as I go to put my food on the table and sitting there staking claim is right? That's what I mean by manners, it shouldn't be first come first serve especially when it comes to an elderly women with me suffering from arthritis and other health issues.

I assume you might be the type on the public transport to not give up your seat to someone else because as you said I was there first.. or what did we say when we were younger "Naw naw naw nawnawnaw".

the_monkey wrote: »
    OP you have good taste in music I assume ?

Fantastic taste! Frank Zappa ftw :P

Maybe that's what these darn kids need :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭tritium

What a load of sweeping statement BS :rolleyes:

Well, given Elvis was scorned as corrupting the youth of his day, dungeons and dragons was leading youth to the devil and jive was seen as immoral influence to give just some relatively recent examples I'd suggest its not.

But you just keep spewing out trite little one line sound bites...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I watched in horror last week as a child of about 4 years proceeded to try to pull the fuel cap off my car. My car is a month old!

The mother just stood there watching............ I had to tell the child off. Again the mother never reprimanded her child. No way was I gonna stand there and have my new car damaged.

So yep I blame the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I was doing a grocery shop last week and there was a mother pushing her two brats around in a trolley, about 3 and 5 I guess. Anyway there was an older woman there, and the youngest child kept yelling "'mam look at the fat lady", "mam the fat lady has a beard" ect. The mother said "shush" to the child but that was it, and the child kept saying it.

Obviously I'm watching with interest to see how this one is going to play out. Finally the woman replied "and you're a brat, a naughty little brat". The kid started to whinge "I'm not", she tells him again he's bold and he starts yelling he isn't bold lol.

The mother kept her back to the woman the whole time and when the child got upset she just pushed the trolley away, but the child didnt say it again while I was in earshot.

Was talking about it with a few friends as well, most of them agreed the child was a little **** but one of the girls (the one with a child!) said kids would be kids, the adult should know better and not be so mean. But as soon as the child was scolded he stopped so, I don't know, I def think its the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭tritium

I disagree, it's a generational issue. There's lots of people in their 30s-40s who are great people but their kids are destroyed by the likes of social media, the kardashinas etc.

Wasn't the save arguemnet used in the fifties with kardashians replaced with Elvis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

tritium wrote: »
    Wasn't the save arguemnet used in the fifties with kardashians replaced with Elvis?

Elvis played music and had a talent. The kardashians are a bunch of self obsessed talentless morons.

• Advertisement

I don't see how the child was right. Running, pushing me aside and almost knocking my food over as I go to put my food on the table and sitting there staking claim is right? That's what I mean by manners, it shouldn't be first come first serve especially when it comes to an elderly women with me suffering from arthritis and other health issues.

I assume you might be the type on the public transport to not give up your seat to someone else because as you said I was there first.. or what did we say when we were younger "Naw naw naw nawnawnaw".

If the child actually pushed you they were in the wrong. People exaggerate things though, if you were actually a foot from the table the child was wrong, any more than about 2-3 feet and you were wrong. You said yourself there were plenty more seats, there's no need to demand the one closest to you.
    How is the child supposed to know about your mothers health issues.
    Age is irrelevant and to say it matters is discrimination.

Of course I'd never give a seat to anybody unless they were disabled, why would I. I would accept arthritis as a disability but I'm not going to assume somebody has it based on their ag

tritium wrote: »
    Well, given Elvis was scorned as corrupting the youth of his day, dungeons and dragons was leading youth to the devil and jive was seen as immoral influence to give just some relatively recent examples I'd suggest its not.

But you just keep spewing out trite little one line sound bites...

This isn't a broad, safe, sit-on-the-fence "youth of today" topic where we can slam culture, music, art, dance, education, economy, upbringing, class system, religion etc etc etc and how it is embodied in the youth.

It's "Are kids mannerly or are kids rude?"

What was seen as rude 100 years ago is not rude today. Whats rude today might not be rude in 100 years.

BUT critically, what is rude now, was still rude 15 years ago and will still be rude in 15 years time.

I would excuse a youth, born to a family 3 generations from now where society has broken down further and manners have slowly evaporated, being rude. I can understand that. It's ALL the know and ALL their parents know.

Rude kids have rude parents and their parents have rude friends and their kids friends are rude. They all think it's ok cause it's perceived in their small bubble of Irish society to be "ok" or even "cool".

You take that fish out of water? i.e. the kid trying to get a decent job in 20 years and they'll either fail or change to fit the society where manners are paramount (let's say the hospitality industry)

If you want to cast the WIDEST net in history and shrug and so forth grand, doesn't mean I, or anyone else, has to either agree or accept it.

Next we'll be having sentences such as "sure in cavemen times that child would have killed you for your food"... but seriously whats the point... :pac::pac::pac:

Elvis played music and had a talent. The kardashians are a bunch of self obsessed talentless morons.

And apparently the Kardashians are entertaining. :/

I don't think any one TV show or B-list celeb is the cause though.

If the child actually pushed you they were in the wrong. People exaggerate things though, if you were actually a foot from the table the child was wrong, any more than about 2-3 feet and you were wrong. You said yourself there were plenty more seats, there's no need to demand the one closest to you.
    Age is irrelevant and to say it does is discrimination.

Of course I'd never give a seat to anybody unless they were disabled, why would I. I would accept arthritis as a disability but I'm not going to assume somebody has it based on their ag

THIS... THIS RIGHT HERE is how we've ended up in the world we are in today :eek:

Look at that level of justification... talking about the inches from the table :confused::confused::confused:

Jesus wept

Look at that level of justification... talking about the inches from the table :confused::confused::confused:

So was the child, we are only hearing one side of the story. And if you read what I said you would see that I said if it was inches from the table the child was wrong, if the OP was close enough to have claimed the table the child was wrong.

Essentially if they was enough room for the other party to walk past the OP the OP was in the wrong while if the other party had to stand in front of the op to get to the table the other party was wrong.

So was the child, we are only hearing one side of the story.

I'm willing to throw my lot in with the OP given how they have tried to explain how it played out.

I could give less of a **** hearing a kids side of things.

And I could give even less of **** quantifying when a table is indeed in the ownership of the person sitting at it (is it when the trays down? is it 100cm? 30 inches?) to someone who doesn't give up their seat to an elderly person cause "sure you don't know if they are unwell, can't tell from looking at them, better I just sit on my hole and assume they are grand, my seat after all, i was hear 1st"

Age is irrelevant and to say it does is discrimination.

We never demanded the seat, my mom simple told the child "we were going to sit there and that she obviously knew that and to have some manners".

Yes she pushed me as stated she almost knocked the tray right out of my hand as I was putting it down.

Not saying she was suppose to know but damn it's pretty obvious with her health issues.

I never said anything about age?

See that's where we differ, I would always give up a seat for someone older than me even if they had clear or un-clear signs of disability, pregnant women or whatever. Why would I? Because they probably need it more than I do and if they don't, so what I have respect for others to be mannerly towards them and at least offer.

It's how I was brought up and will continue on and bring my children up with too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Fantastic taste! Frank Zappa ftw :P

Maybe that's what these darn kids need :pac:
    Damn right, I always think of what Zappa said about the most abundant element in the Universe ... ;)

Apply it to these parents and kids ...

I could give less of a **** hearing a kids side of things.

And you think this is ok? Ignore what somebody has to say because of their age? This is what is wrong with society.

• Advertisement

And you think this is ok? Ignore what somebody has to say because of their age? This is what is wrong with society.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I actually didn't realise you were trolling there for a while, you got me.

Advertisement